The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Binson Echorec II Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Head

Binson Echorec II

Hi All,
I have trouble finding information on how the Binson Echorec 2 works. The user manual that I can find on the web seems to be dealing with cleaning of the unit only. Maybe a longtime user here can help me out? Here are my questions:

1 Is it possible to get a 100% wet signal from the unit?

2 Above the Input Jacks there is a graphic that looks like you're supposed to connect both the INs and OUTs through the same TRS Jack (and then split the cable to two connectors??) Does that mean
- you need a Y-cable for each channel?
- they are unbalanced?
- if so what are the other three jacks that say 'for premixer' for?

3 What kind of levels are the INs and OUTs? The Input is pretty adjustable but was it made for guitars or line level?

Any help and insights would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Binson Echorec II-binson.jpg  
Old 20th April 2011
Gear Head

Old 30th April 2011
Gear Head

Old 21st July 2011
Gear Head

nobody knows about these?
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, got one...You can get 100% wet but I'm not in the studio right now. If I remember you can use the Premixer out (?) Also the connectors are a bit confusing, we ours modified with TRS for all ins/outs I can see that yours has been modified as well. Yes it's unbalanced and yes you can plug a guitar straight in.
Great unit.
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Head

thanks for the input baikonur, when i use the premixer out the original signal runs through, but i can tweak the echo volume with the input knob. so what i have been doing is feed the binson with a very soft signal and crank the echo signal up. that works but it's still not 100% wet and all the binson added gain on the echo shows in the sound (nicely, but still). would love to have a better solution if anyone knows it?
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Addict

these great units are best in the hands of someone with a little bit experience in maintaining gear, because they vary quite a bit by version, aging and need often a loving hand for fine adjustments, but then they'll reward you with one of the greatest signature sounds ever

you can solve your problem with opening your unit and adjust the correct trimmer explained on this link:
Vintage Amps Bulletin Board • View topic - Attn: Gilmour fans--i just scored a Binson echorec!

you should be able to do that by yourself:
open just the small back cover, take an isolated screwdriver and don't touch
anything with bare hands when the unit is on inside, and adjust the trimmer T1 to your taste!
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Head

pongmaster, thank you very much for your links, they're great!
Old 13th November 2012
Here for the gear

Binson Echorec

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonien View Post
nobody knows about these?
There's some info on how the Binson Echorec works here:

Binson Echorec Servicing
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Head

Amazing, thank you very much effectrode!
still using this thing all the time…
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

Just got my Binson completely refurbed,
Now I'm waiting for the new heads to be aligned.
God I miss it.
Asked my tech to get 100% wet option too,
He said he'd fit it with an xlr,
But I need to double check if it has dry still.
Congrats on a great piece.
C
Old 9th December 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonien View Post

1 Is it possible to get a 100% wet signal from the unit?

2 Above the Input Jacks there is a graphic that looks like you're supposed to connect both the INs and OUTs through the same TRS Jack (and then split the cable to two connectors??) Does that mean
- you need a Y-cable for each channel?
- they are unbalanced?
- if so what are the other three jacks that say 'for premixer' for?

3 What kind of levels are the INs and OUTs? The Input is pretty adjustable but was it made for guitars or line level?

Any help and insights would be much appreciated!

1) The stock unit doesn't include a wet output. That can be added with a simple mod (taking the wet signal from the EQ pot)

2) Cables must be unbalanced, the Y-cable is for the companion tube-preamp that add four or six channels, depending on models. The tube-preamp is a mixer to mono, this mono signal then enters the Echorec. NOTE than the writing "for premixer" refers to the upper single jack, not the three below.

3) Input accepts a wide dynamic range, guitars are fine, line level may be ok but in this case you may also want to check the input "for premixer" as it bypasses the first tube in most models.

A last IMPORTANT note: the input control is not an input gain, it refers to "input to disk" and is actually a recording gain. The internal preamp has fixed gain. With the external preamp module you get variable input gain.

If interested in the Echorec please keep an eye on the Echorec Bible (address in my signature). Additional entries for the premixer models and tube reverb will follow.
Old 9th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexmachina View Post
If interested in the Echorec please keep an eye on the Echorec Bible (address in my signature). .
Hello!
I'm an italian musician, i signed in here because i saw this thread.. Great community!
I'm really interested in that Echorec Bible, i've got a strange one, can't find a single similar unit online.. I wanted to sell it to found some modular stuff but can't really know it's real value, i got it from my dad and it's in german, sounds just wonderful!
Could you enlight me a bit about this mistery?

Oh.. Sorry for my bad english!

Last edited by Miraggio; 9th February 2019 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: I saw the bible and now i know it probably is not that rare
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=Miraggio;13801728]Hello!
I'm an italian musician, i signed in here because i saw this thread.. Great community!
I'm really interested in that Echorec Bible, i've got a strange one, can't find a single similar unit online.. I wanted to sell it to found some modular stuff but can't really know it's real value, i got it from my dad and it's in german, sounds just wonderful!
Could you enlight me a bit about this mistery?

Hello Miraggio,

did you already explore the Echorec Bible model list at The AudioExMachina’s Echorec Bible | audioexmachina ?

If your unit is not listed there please post some picture here for analisys and for determining its value (please include also a picture of the plate with serial number).

Also, please consider the following scenario for at leaset one second:

chances are that you'll regret this sale again and again in the future.... then maybe, if you're very very lucky... some day you'll be able to buy it back at an higher price :-)

Just my humble opinion..... I saw this happen many times already.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search