The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Parametric EQ
Old 7th April 2011
Here for the gear

Moog Parametric EQ

Hi there guys,
My first post on Gearslutz, long time lurker!
I have been offered a Moog parametric EQ for a fairly decent price (around 500 euros) im quite interested in it particularly for use on synth bass, people say they do good things to bass?
I have briefly checked the search engine but not found any recent information on it, im just wondering if this unit is still worth it?
Ive read its a good bass "thickener" it would be great if some owners could tell me why they like it for bass and give some thoughts about the general character / tone, strengths / weakness of this unit?
Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Boris
Old 7th April 2011
I got mine for 350$us. 750 is about going rate, but I think it's a bit high. They are rate though. The drive option is cool. Yes, bass is where it's at!

Actually mine is the graphic, which is harder to find, but used the parametric.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Addict

500 euros is too much.

The ONLY reason people buy these units is the "Moog" name. Which is sad because Bob Moog had about as much to do with them as he did writing code for Windows Vista...

Both the graphic eq and the parametric eq are fine but not worth the money people are spending on them.

The only Moog rack unit to lust for is the MKPH- the 12 stage phaser... Thats the king and granddaddy of the pedals. And freakin amazing...

But the EQs are 100% priced too high for what they do solely off the "Moog" name... I wouldn't spend $300 on one. And they used to sell for far less until ebay infected the sales with moog hype...

Kinda like the Pultec HPF... Just not worth the cash and nothing to do with why people originally wanted units from that manufacturer.

The reason you saw these units in bass and guitar racks was because you could buy them cheap and nobody used them in the studio. And they sound good, just not big money good. 500 euros is a LOT for a mono EQ.

But they a BIG old "vintage" looking units with the magic Moog name so people want them...

Again, they don't sound bad but they arent great either.
Old 7th April 2011
They are loaded with 4558 opamps and mylar caps. Plug in some good opamps and that improves. Increase the values of the electrolytic caps and you will have deep bass. 500 euros? Should have kept mine!
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Nut

I have one and LOVE it. Super huge low end thickening. Honestly that's about all I use it for though. Lives along side Massive Passive, Pultecs, and Trident EQs and sees plenty of action.

That being said it had recently been serviced/hooked up when I got it. Heard a few that sounded horrible and noisy.
Old 7th April 2011
Here for the gear

So it seems its a bit of a one trick pony, but great on bass.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for using it specifically on synth bass?
Thanks for the all the comments so far, im still undecided!
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2. Great EQ's. Very thick and warm. The drive function can really add great character. 700 euros seems a bit high. I think I paid $500 or $450 each.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

It's a very good EQ for much more than bass. Its 20dB notch works better at slicing out resonances than most parametrics. But 500eur is too high, they are capitalizing on the Moog brand. And it does NOT behave anything like the Moog filter although Bob did indeed design it as his name is on the patent for the parametric.
Old 8th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
They are loaded with 4558 opamps and mylar caps. Plug in some good opamps and that improves. Increase the values of the electrolytic caps and you will have deep bass. 500 euros? Should have kept mine!
What opamps would you suggest?
How much increase in the caps is needed?
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

If anyone has any tips or tricks on how they like to use their units would be great to hear from them... think im going to buy it.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

It's a real good tool for surgical EQ. I had a ringing on the drummer's snare that was interfering with the vocals. All I did was put it at maximum -20dB notch then sweep the frequency until I found it, then I lowered the width control as narrow as I could and raised the dB cut until it was acceptable.

Boosting EQ adds a nice color, worked really good for an electric piano.

This is one of those parametrics that gets nice tones with boost and a deep notch that actually works.
Old 9th April 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Jim,
What opamps and value capacitors would you recommend as an upgrade?
Cheers,
Boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Old 9th April 2011
Motown legend

I always considered the one we had at Motown to be utterly useless! I fear today too many people are listening with their eyes.
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I always considered the one we had at Motown to be utterly useless! I fear today too many people are listening with their eyes.
Certainly one trick pony but appear to be good enough on bass for people (like Tom Soares)
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why? Because we hear something differently than you?
Old 10th April 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
Certainly one trick pony but appear to be good enough on bass for people like Tom Soares
Michael Brauer uses on too!
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
But these guys are saying its killer on BASS- you guys didn't track much bass at Motown did you....
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Addict

really interesting on bass: +1
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hated this eq, unatural and noisy, imho of course.
Old 13th May 2014
For those interested, there's a eurorack DIY project building one band of this circuit...
MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - [ORDER] ACX Moog Parametric Equalizer
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

does anyone know who can service the mkpe?
Old 13th May 2014
Gear Addict

as a creative eq it's got something unique. a very distinct tone. certainly not hifi, but some of the comments above are off from my perspective. the low end is really particular and does something none of my other eqs do. if you're interested in using eq as a creative tool then this is a great addition. as a 'straight' eq it probably won't be at the top of anyone's list.

as for 'listening with your eyes', or 'the moog name', that's not really appropriate. people use the same tools for different reasons, and for making some unique sounds, particularly in the low end, it's a secret weapon.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

does anyone know if this has an unbalanced input?
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
does anyone know if this has an unbalanced input?
Yes it does.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. I've been wondering why I have an issue with massive signal drop and a low end filter.

Anyone know if changing cable wiring will help or do I have to put a transformer balanced unit in the signal prior to?
Old 24th July 2017
Gear Nut

Did anyone experiment with swapping the 4558 opamps?
I have some opa2134 and op275 chips, which will be a safer swap considering current draw and oscillation? (wish I could figure it out myself compering the specs...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search