The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best kept secrete
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

The best kept secrete

Gear that Rock's that no one talks about
What is it?
How are you using it?
OK nothing is a secret How about most underrated or something that gets very little Gearsluz love

OPPS OK Im a dumb ass (secrets ) is what I meant or maybe that is the Italian word Secret'E

Last edited by ROCKER STUDIOS; 3rd April 2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Your ears and the stuff that sits between them?
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Guru

OK here is the secret...

oh, hold on a second - there are two guys in dark sunglasses at my door. I'll be right back....
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Am I ready to set my reputation on fire............ Sure. ARC. I now have mixes that I can trust and translate on every system without wondering. The software is so highly looked down on by so many but to me it has been a God send.

BTW. This is what I do for a living.
Old 2nd April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
Gear that Rock's that no one talks about
What is it?
Yamaha SPX90 heh
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Addict

Alesis 3036 stereo Compressor.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Audiuo damage's Kombinat is so badass i am surprized it is not talked about more...
Audio Damage :: Kombinat
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Blood. Hang on to that stuff. My mother would say pocket pool creme. But mothers always say that.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Yamaha SPX90 heh
I had one of these for about a week and, honestly, I really do not understand what the big deal is about????
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yamaha SPX90 heh
Yup +1
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Early solid state German broadcast modules (later versions are different and not as good). My favorite one, which I have 8 of, are the TAB made Telefunken V376 mic pre. It was the first solid state V76 and it's just amazing, as good as the best Neve (or anything). The TAB made Telefunken W695 eq module (have 4) is also wonderful with a killer 60Hz bottom and a great mid range boost. The other best kept secrets that I have would be the Neumann U77 and KM74 mics. These are from the little known FET 70 series and require a special (but easy to get) T power supply. The U77 is just a classic, closer in sound to a U67 than the U87, and I prefer it to the 2 vintage (Made in Western Germany) U87 mics that I own. The KM 74 (have a pair) is also a great mic and as good as a KM84.
Old 3rd April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
OK here is the secret...

oh, hold on a second - there are two guys in dark sunglasses at my door. I'll be right back....
You made me laugh! well done,
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yamaha SPX90 heh
+ another 1
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

one is . . . the spelling of 'secret'. *smile*
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

The Alesis/Groove Tubes AM-51 is a pretty decent condenser that nobody ever mentions and can be found for ridiculously low bucks from time to time.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

The best kept secrete

the most productive secretion I've ever come across would have to be semen.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

TC Electronic M2000 (not 3000 or 4000)

Also +1 for the SPX90
Old 3rd April 2011
The DBX 160SL. Unlike any other DBX product currently made and you'd be surprised at how many people blow it off because they relate it to the low end DBX garbage on the market without knowing anything about it.

I always love when those people come in to check something out and I show it to them. The reactions are priceless (in a really good way).
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear
Being a son of Bill Gates...
OMG
I didn't say it!
Billy Gates, not my dad!
He's just a stranger but it turns out I am the one... But heeee is not my dad.
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
Early solid state German broadcast modules (later versions are different and not as good). My favorite one, which I have 8 of, are the TAB made Telefunken V376 mic pre. It was the first solid state V76 and it's just amazing, as good as the best Neve (or anything). The TAB made Telefunken W695 eq module (have 4) is also wonderful with a killer 60Hz bottom and a great mid range boost. The other best kept secrets that I have would be the Neumann U77 and KM74 mics. These are from the little known FET 70 series and require a special (but easy to get) T power supply. The U77 is just a classic, closer in sound to a U67 than the U87, and I prefer it to the 2 vintage (Made in Western Germany) U87 mics that I own. The KM 74 (have a pair) is also a great mic and as good as a KM84.
cool
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Guru

Sometimes it's good to let things stay a secret. If everyone knows everything, where's the mystery, the chance for discovery?

Scour ebay, look for off-color oddball pieces that are $7 and have no bids. Pick one that looks interesting and buy it.

Ya never know.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Experience
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Addict

The best kept secrete? I'm not sure..you probably shouldn't be secreting anything around nice recording equipment. Now secrets on the other hand...I'd day #1 would be spell check so your clients respect you as a professional.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear
Btw
Beyerdynamic pro 880 has closest iphoneipod headphone tone compare to all other monitor headphone.
If you sound right on beyerdynamic pro880, you sound good on all apple free headphone!
And genelec 1030a/8040a sound almost same tone as beyerdynamic pro880.
If you sound right in pro880, u sound good in genelec's as well!

And one reason why mix on Sony MDR 7506 will get u the job done for LA film field: most of Hollywood directors are using this; most director hate treble hype signaland they love sub signal. mdr7506 always hype on treble and lack of bass which push u to do opposite.

Good luck!
Old 3rd April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Sometimes it's good to let things stay a secret. If everyone knows everything, where's the mystery, the chance for discovery?

Scour ebay, look for off-color oddball pieces that are $7 and have no bids. Pick one that looks interesting and buy it.

Ya never know.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Exactly. Bought a few old "paperweights" thinking I could make them work.

Just got a Thompson tad-4 off here. I can wait to check it out.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
I'd day #1 would be spell check...
Commiserations. Funny how that always happens, when commenting on someone else's outlandish spelling misadventures!

Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The DBX 160SL. Unlike any other DBX product currently made and you'd be surprised at how many people blow it off because they relate it to the low end DBX garbage on the market without knowing anything about it.

I always love when those people come in to check something out and I show it to them. The reactions are priceless (in a really good way).
I've got a blue 160 and two purple 162's, all used in nice shape for about 3 grand. This recession hit the live sound company's really hard.

G
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles View Post
the most productive secretion I've ever come across would have to be semen.
Yes I use that on my scratchy 1176 Knobs it works well heh
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
The best kept secrete? I'm not sure..you probably shouldn't be secreting anything around nice recording equipment. Now secrets on the other hand...I'd day #1 would be spell check so your clients respect you as a professional.
Day #1 would be spell check hehheh
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Addict

raindirk!

Oli

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search