The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best kept secrete
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

Instead of spending 10's of thousands on high end gear for your bedroom/basement, use that money to book time in a proper studio.
Old 4th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Instead of spending 10's of thousands on high end gear for your bedroom/basement, use that money to book time in a proper studio.
A "proper" studio. You the studio police? Who decides what a "proper" studio is. Would that just happen to be your studio?

Anyway, I can't write my secret since then it would not longer be a secret and would not longer fit the criteria of the thread and I would have to remove it from the thread thus ending up right where I started which of course is not a studio secret but it is the secret of life.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Guru

2 Oktava MK012's in X/Y, 2' over the snare, 1 mic pointed at the edge of the ride, the other at the space between the snare and the hat.

R84 on kick.

Smooth, incredibly punchy, honest. Zero fuss at mix, you basically turn the drums up or down, add ribbon whump to taste.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:

To my thinking, that can be a recipe for massive satisfaction, or a recipe for massive letdown. It really depends on the intensity and nature of the artist's vision.

For a lot of artists, all they really need is to capture their music with solid tones in a fairly transparent manner and a little or a lot of polish. Most well-outfitted and well-staffed studios can deliver that exceedingly well.

For others, there's a level of specificity and personality or character needed that the vast majority of 'proper' facilities will fail utterly at even approaching.

The recent interview with the Temples in Tape Op highlights this pretty well, they talk about their consistent disappointment going into 'real' studios. Their productions ooze character and vibe, the kind that very few places (let alone engineers) could even begin to envision, much less produce with such flair and drama.

Plus, there's the "life's a journey" perspective, and if I'm not mistaken many (most?) artists these days enjoy the challenge of crafting their own sound as much as they do crafting their own songs.

I definitely fall into that latter category, so I can relate.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
A "proper" studio. You the studio police? Who decides what a "proper" studio is. Would that just happen to be your studio?
I don't own a commercial studio, although I do have a private home studio. The question was what is YOUR secret. I simply stated what I did personally for my last record after trying to do it on my own for many years. It was not directed at you, or anyone else.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Innertube Audio MM2000 MagMic

Last edited by DrSax; 8th June 2015 at 05:46 AM..
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't own a commercial studio, although I do have a private home studio. The question was what is YOUR secret. I simply stated what I did personally for my last record after trying to do it on my own for many years. It was not directed at you, or anyone else.
You did say 'Instead of spending 10's of thousands on high end gear for your bedroom/basement...'
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Guru
I think most of us need to spend money on the perfect studio which is something they can use and learn on. The perfect studio then, is the one they need to book or buy to get what they're not hearing. The next perfect studio is one staffed with experts and gear that will give them what their looking for on a universal top level. Skipping a step will lead to disappointment/depression, and wasted money and time.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
You did say 'Instead of spending 10's of thousands on high end gear for your bedroom/basement...'
Yep...in '89 I had a 1/2" 8-track studio in the second bedroom of my apartment. Over the years I've spent more money than I care to add up. Back in 2005 I bought a $50,000 console. Right now, I have a very well equipped home studio in my basement.

While I have an easy time producing others in the studio, over the years I've had fits and starts recording my own stuff. We recently went into a local commercial studio to record an original record, and it was just a breath of fresh air. I tracked more in a month than I had in the past year. It got me thinking that with all the money I've spent over the years, what if I simply put that towards booking studio time....how much bigger would my original catalog be?

I am simply relaying my personal experience over the years. Perhaps give some food for thought to an up and coming gearslut. Not sure how what I said is offensive or controversial.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep...in '89 I had a 1/2" 8-track studio in the second bedroom of my apartment. Over the years I've spent more money than I care to add up. Back in 2005 I bought a $50,000 console. Right now, I have a very well equipped home studio in my basement.

While I have an easy time producing others in the studio, over the years I've had fits and starts recording my own stuff. We recently went into a local commercial studio to record an original record, and it was just a breath of fresh air. I tracked more in a month than I had in the past year. It got me thinking that with all the money I've spent over the years, what if I simply put that towards booking studio time....how much bigger would my original catalog be?

I am simply relaying my personal experience over the years. Perhaps give some food for thought to an up and coming gearslut. Not sure how what I said is offensive or controversial.
It's fine and a relevant point. I was only pointing out that the original wording of your post was easy to misinterpret because of the word 'your bedroom/basement' rather than 'my bedroom/basement.' No biggie.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Putting a good graphical eq (MXR) pedal first in a guitar/keyboard chain, especially if followed by distortion or overdrive. Crank 1-3 of the bands and bag all the others. It can give you a lead which both sits on top of the mix and blends perfectly.

Last edited by lobsterinn; 5th June 2015 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: enough secretion jokes in this thread..
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

For the last six months most of my studio tinkering has had to do with putting together a workspace with a fun workflow for easy creation and editing of audio including recording. The easier to sit down and do stuff, the better.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
For the last six months most of my studio tinkering has had to do with putting together a workspace with a fun workflow for easy creation and editing of audio including recording. The easier to sit down and do stuff, the better.
I gotta agree with this 100%, buying a Herman Miller type chair has been the best thing I've done in a long time. My back isn't screaming after long keyboard or guitar sessions. Kicking back instead of hunching over. Huge.....Putting stuff on stands where I can reach them, making it relaxed rather than a work space, amazing how a mindset changes!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search