The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best dynamic mics
Old 14th May 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
For live audio:

I actually prefer the beta 57 on snare over the standard 57.
I also prefer the Beta 58 on vocals though a lot of artists do not.
The Beta 87 is a FABULOUS mic that doesn't get enough love.
The Beta 52 is a bit woofy but useable, I have opted for a 421 on more than one occasion.

I guess this means that all told I like the Beta Series...
What do you think of the beta 56? Depending on the tom I think it's definitely a good option.

There's a series of graphs up on recordinghacks that compares where the low and high peaks are for each of the 'pre-EQed' kick drum mics. The beta 52's low peak is around 50 hz if I correctly recall, and IMO a high pass is a must most of the time with a 52.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
and finally... am I the only one here who loves the Electro-Voice RE27?
You're not the only one - just picked up an RE27 and already love it. I recorded vocals for a male singer who I've used the SM7b in the past with, and when we compared the 2 mics, he preferred the RE27 on his voice. It's also a fair bit brighter than the SM7 thereby requiring less EQ to cut through a mix.
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear
I never liked the Beta over the regular 57 and 58.

The Beta 87 Rocks(not a dynamic), never had a regular 87. If you need a focused mic that will not pick up surrounding stuff, the 87 has a tighter pattern than any other mic I have used. Bad if you are a singer not used to holding a mic. because of that and it's depth, not a good drum vocal mic. Better off using a mic that limits it's pick up with a small throw rather than pattern. The 57 or 409/906 have nice small "throws". Throw= optimal distance for focused sound quality.

I had a pair of M201 once, I hated them. But I may have a bad batch or been a bad match with my preamps of the time (Grace 801 and Avalon 737).

Here are my current dynamics:
(4) 1970's SM57/UnidyneIII
(4) e906
(2) 409U3
(1) SM7b
(1) ATM25
(1) AA DM-20
(1) 441
(1) 311
(1) Norelco Rocket
(2) Shure bullet style (1960's unbalanced)

Top of my shipping list:
RE-20
Telefunkin 80
MD-421 (sometimes need that kick or horn sound) want old white one.
M88 - Old good used one for the case & get internals replaced with current
Telefunkin new big dynamic (cant remember #, like $500)

Note: If you every see and old MD409 for sale not working.....get it. The foam breaks down allowing the cap to move inside the grill. Then the 3 small wires work lose when the cap moves. Pain to put back together, but replacing the foam and re-assembly is worth it.
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Guru

I'm a big fan of dynamic mics and use and own a ton of them. My all time favorite mic in the world is the Beyer M88. There's very few things I've used one on where I didn't dig it. Other Beyer models including the M69, TGX50, M380 and M201 are really great. I've been using an M201 on hihat a lot lately and I've been an anti hihat mic guy for years. Like Pan60 I'm a big fan of the older EV PL and RE lines, all of the ones I've encountered sounds great and are super useful. Newer models like the N/D 408/468 are great as well. People don't give EV the respect they deserve, IMHO. As of late, the AGKd100e has been my guitar go to, itmakes the guitar pop out in a way that the rounder mics (M88, EV) don't, but isn't strident and annoying like an SM57 (My least favorite mic on the planet). I still use 421s pretty often on toms, and sometimes in a BD, but have a hard time making them work on guitars for some reason. This thread reminds me to break out my AKG D119es, its a cool mic. I really love the Sennheiser e602 on BD. The AT ATM23he has been my SD mic for years, and I'm really curious about the new AT dynamics.
Old 5th May 2019
BUMP. Shure 545s (or Sh) EV 664 and EV 635a are all very nice. 635a is Omni and it’s a terrific sounding mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi
-Telefunken m811 My secret weapon for toms, Bari Sax guitar and bass cabinets
-Lewitt MTP 440 for guitar cabinets I prefer mostly than SM57
- REVOX M3000 for snare, toms, cabinets
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Shure KSM8 dynamic mic is unique among dynamic mics because of it's dual diaphragm design. There is nothing quite like it. Natural, unhyped, detailed, and smooth. A bit pricey but worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

We've tested pretty everything under the sun. For wireless theres nothing better than Sennheiser MD9235 dynamic capsule. Works for all kind of voices. Ridiculous side and rear rejections with a beautiful tone like Neumann 104/105. But don't listen to me..just turn the TV on and see that Taylor Swift, Adele, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, P!nk, Kendrick..they won't use anything but MD9235. Runner ups: KSM8 and Telefunken M81. I would give the edge to M81, nice top end and smooth but just doesn't have the nice low end to go with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My favorite low cost dynamic for vocals with IMHO High End sound...

AKG D790. Here's an acapella example below.
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MBHO 219C/SC is the ultimate dynamic mic in my opinion, it is extremely versatile and accurate with excellent proximity performance and high sensitivity. This microphone displays some of the most desirable features of a really good dynamic and condenser mic and even sounds better than and out performs many hand-held condensers.

It has a very balanced natural sound and requires little to no EQ...I've used it on vocal, guitar cab, kick, snare, toms, percussion, bass cab, trumpet, sax, trombone etc, both live and in the studio with great results. This mic is clear (but not clinical) and offers very good feedback rejection when used live, and the off-axis rejection is smooth and natural...can't say enough good things about it. It's not the most popular mic on the market, but every time put it up against the popular (hype) microphones it cleans up.

I also like the RE20, 421, M88 and the Sennheiser 441, some of the others listed in the thread, (especially the one-trick ponies) I can do without.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The ones that seem to get used:

Beyer Soundstar MKII
Audix i5
Beyer M88TG
EV RE20

I don't have it any longer but the Audio-Technica ATM25 was fabulous on kick. EV 635A can be a nice character mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
I know this forum is “best dynamic mics” and this certainly isn’t “best”, but I have found I really like the EV 664a as a mono OH through a nice slow comp (like the CL1A/CL1B) for a good lo fi sound. As it’s supercardiod you will want some other spot mics (even if they’re not too close) so you pick up a little more of the kit. The 664a will give you a very nice center tho, get that snare deep but popping too and controlled cymbals with very little subtractive EQ
Old 4 weeks ago
I picked up some Audio Technica ATM230's for toms a while back and I've been enjoying them quite a bit. I used to use ATM25's on inside kick but lately I've been doing an RE20 there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I gave "a like" on your post, but to clairify, the D790 isn't a one trick pony.

EVERY time I sing with that thing, around town, EVERY (well almost) singer wants to know "what the heck" that mic is! (Is it a Neumann hand held? etc. etc.)
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
The 441 is my favorite on kick drum through a nice tube pre like the Presonus ADL 600

Shure SM7 and 57 through API or Neve

Did you ever tried this combination MD441 and ADL600 for saxophone ? Sounds insanely good. Another candidat which I really love is the old Beyerdynamic Soundstar MK2 N400, also known as the poor mans SM7B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search