The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP 8024 Consoles
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Addict

Audient ASP 8024

Hello all, newbie posting here but I'be been following you guys for a long while. Much Respect!

Just about to buy an Audient ASP 8024-32Chan for the place I work in. It'll be tethered to a PTools HD Native with a 16 and an 8 I/O.

Any comments on this console?
Horror stories or blissful memories welcome.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

I'm actually sat using one right this second. Not bad, but maybe TOO clean ...

I would prefer a few less channels, with better EQ section to be honest. But that is my opinion.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks nikopotamus.
Are you more concerned about the EQ at the tracking end or mixing?

Also, has the desk you are using got the "Dual Layer" module and if so how do you find it?

We already have a Euphonix MC Control and Mix so we were thinking of skipping on "Dual Layer"
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

Erm, if by dual layer, you mean the ability to record and playback like on a normal inline console ... it sort of does (the one i am using)

I'm more concerned about the EQ on the way in ... it's ok, but there are much better.

Do you really need that many channels? if not, then maybe go for a better console with better pre-amps but with less channels.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

just to clarify, the one i am using is in a university studio, and was wired up differently from its original state by one of the technicians
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Addict

By "Dual Layer" I mean this:

http://www.audient.com/products/asp8...control-module

What other console would you recommend with less channels, better EQ and at roughly this price?

Cheers!
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Head

ahhh gotcha ... nah, it doesnt have the dual layer so i cant really comment on that.

the TL Audio VTC 24 is nice, all tube pre's too ... I just find the Audient a bit too clean, don't get me wrong, it definitely is a lovely console, just not really for me forever.
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

I just got the little Dual Layer Control console that the module is based on. The two main advantages it has are that the controller section sits in the console sweet spot, you don't have to have a separate controller off to the side, and the 8 automated analog faders you gain. Can't compare to the Euphonix controllers personally.
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks mate!
I've already considered TL Audio as a front end and it would be lovely to have those tubes, but I need the busses, auxes, and monitoring/foldback options that the ASP seems to provide.

I guess it's about compromise.

Why can't TL make a proper recording console?
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
I just got the little Dual Layer Control console that the module is based on.
Subspace , did you order your ASP with the dual layer or did you add it ?
Owner of a 36ch , 8 automated fader would be really cool.
I just don't see how to install it...do i have get rid of a 12ch section to fit the dual layer ? it would not be cool :-)

To answer the original post , based on my experience , the ASP 8024 has the good thing to be quiet modern so its really a stable console , easy to maintain.
I agree with what has been said before , it doesn't have the best pre's or EQ's in the world , it has quiet a clean sound.
Adding some outboard and maybe a side car with good pre's and you're done.
I find myself very happy with that console !
Old 30th March 2011
Gear Addict

Read somewhere that it fits into the "Producer's Section" of the console.
This must be above or below the master section.
Does that make sense to anyone?

I'm hoping that I can just plonk my Euphonix onto the blank plate where this "Producers Section" would be.
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have an ASP8024, I just bought the little ASP2802, which is the same Dual Layer Control functionality in a little stand-alone desk. My understanding is that the Dual Layer Control Module adds an additional 12 module wide section to your existing desk.
I'm adding the little ASP to my existing Trident desk for the 8 channels of automation and control surface functionality. I'm pretty attached to the Trident pres/eqs but the master section on the Audient is cleaner and much more fully featured.
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

Audient 8024

Hello,
I also think about to purchase the 8024. My question is, does anybody from you guys know if it's possible to program the audient's automation as a DAW soft. controller depend not the midi DAW soft. fader (track automation) depend way? Let's say I would like to keep the track automation in Logic or Protools and do some fader automation assignements on the "same" track of the 8024.

Thank you for any info.

Tomek
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

I am surprised that this mixer is not talked about more. It seems to be a really nice board and now with the controller you can put in the center, it means no side controller on your left or right. Good work flow. I assume the EQ on it has the same sound as their wonderful Black Series. I do admit the console has a cleaner sound, but it does add something special to your sound as well.
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been working on one for the past 6 years.

Absolutely love it, clear open and punchy. I work in a wide variety of genres so the transparency aspect is great. You can also push it and find the point where it "sings" and still have good headroom.

I was recently looking into the possibility of upgrading and I really don't think there is anything out there under 60k which can compete in terms of sonics and usability. To me the next step up for a console at that size would be to go to api, neve or ssl land which I can 't afford right now.

The audient folks are also top notch in terms of tech support. Recently had some power supply trouble and I wanted to check on some fuse ratings. Spent 10 minutes talking shop to a very nice gentleman before he let drop that I was speaking with David Dearden (one of the designers).

I haven't used the control model but I did check out the Zen whose build quality seems to be as solid as the ASP8024.

The only downside from a technical standpoint is that the console is made from large PCB's as opposed to individual channel modules so if you have an issue on a channel you would need to either have 12 channels down or have a replacement PCB on hand for tech work. To me it's a fair tradeoff as the build quality is high and the sonics are great. I haven't had a problem with any channels yet.

joel
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamburg View Post
I've been working on one for the past 6 years.

Absolutely love it, clear open and punchy. I work in a wide variety of genres so the transparency aspect is great. You can also push it and find the point where it "sings" and still have good headroom.

I was recently looking into the possibility of upgrading and I really don't think there is anything out there under 60k which can compete in terms of sonics and usability. To me the next step up for a console at that size would be to go to api, neve or ssl land which I can 't afford right now.

The audient folks are also top notch in terms of tech support. Recently had some power supply trouble and I wanted to check on some fuse ratings. Spent 10 minutes talking shop to a very nice gentleman before he let drop that I was speaking with David Dearden (one of the designers).

I haven't used the control model but I did check out the Zen whose build quality seems to be as solid as the ASP8024.

joel
Having good support is something very important as well. I know they are advertising that Pete Townsend purchased one of these boards as well. The Audient just seems to be a great board that does not go into such a high cost compared to the Rupert Neve, or SSL. I also like the clean idea as well as you can input your favorite coloreful outboard gear into the mixer as well. I can't afford this mixer, but the Zen is really on my short list. If I have transport control, and faders, I can work with a mouse for most other duties as controlling plug ins are easier for me than using a controller. The other option is just to keep my Mackie Controller Pro on the right side of the Zen and just work that way for pan, adding audio tracks, and all the customzied buttons it has on it like punch in, punch out.
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I know they are advertising that Pete Townsend purchased one of these boards as well.
Isn't the pic of Townsend with the ASP8024 from Kore Studios, London? Thought that was owned by someone else.
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Maniac

great support is definitely key..

I meant to post about my experience in the good news zone a while back but got sidetracked.

I find the EQ's to be pretty nice sounding but I don't use them all that often in my workflow.

Right now I'm also looking at the Zen for our B-room. It's currently the front runner if it turns out that we re-equip the room ourselves. For us it would make flying projects between rooms much easier.

joel
Old 17th May 2011
Sound on Sound magazine gave a in depth review on this mixer and it's features. Audient ASP 8024
It received high marks in just about every area. I really like their Black series gear as well.

Don't remind me about the Zen, everyone I have talked to who has used it has given it high praise. I decided I would rather have the group faders, nice two bus compressor and great monitor section of the Zen over the Nucleus personally. Nothing against the Nucelus, as it is a great control surface, but the Zen meets more needs with routing, headphone mixes, group faders, etc.
Old 17th May 2011
Lives for gear

really nice board in IMO - I don't think there is really anything to compete in terms of specs in this price range if buying new. David, and Audient in general are lovely, helpful people. I highly recommend for your needs
Old 17th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Studio View Post
Hello,
I also think about to purchase the 8024. My question is, does anybody from you guys know if it's possible to program the audient's automation as a DAW soft. controller depend not the midi DAW soft. fader (track automation) depend way? Let's say I would like to keep the track automation in Logic or Protools and do some fader automation assignements on the "same" track of the 8024.

Thank you for any info.

Tomek
Cześc I don't know much about 8024 but i have Audient Zen. Automation is "stored" on the first sixteen tracks and it's independent form your DAW automation. Send me an email if you want to know more about Zen Automation.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

I own one at my studio and I think it's a wonderful product. As said before it does help to have some side eq's and/or pre's if you'd wanted to have some more flavour.

I love the clarity and I use it predominantly for mixing dance music, it brings the right amount of colour to any project and is versatile in it's approach.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Does anyone know?

I'm setting up my Breakers for a project but cannot for the life of me find the power consumption of the asp8024.. I'm thinking it's anywhere between 400-700watts but haven't found an exact amount in the manual or on any sites.. can someone help?
Old 31st October 2011
I'd like to know power consumption for this too..

Whats the electricity bill like? I'm guessing better than a vintage SSL?
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Nut

I'm using this desk on a daily basis for the last 2,5 years. Great routing! Good summing! Neutral preamps! Though I don't understand the -6 db on the insert sends and returns.
Eq is useable but not my favourite!

grz
Old 9th November 2011
Any idea what it costs you to run?
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

The pwr supply has a 16 amp fuse @ 115v (8 amp for 230v).

Input is 6.4 amps @ 115v, 3.2 amps @ 230v.

The label also says 'output 276 watts max'. Seems low considering the input amps (6.4 amp x 115v = 736 watts). But considering how hot this pwr supply gets (too hot to touch the top), the remainder of those watts must be converting to heat

This is the pwr supply that came with a 36 ch board, can't say if they use the same one for the smaller or bigger boards.

Though as mentioned, Audient has very good communication, just email/call 'em and they'll tell you
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Nut

I don't know what the costs are, I'm sharing my electric bill with other companies in the building. But it surely is in my benifit. But I guess it doesn't uses as much as a SSl or neve. I used to work on the Neve VR and I could warm my hands above the neve in wintertime. The audient doesn't get that warm . Also the powersupply doesn't get that warm, but I'm on 24 channels only.

greets
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soentkensound View Post
Also the powersupply doesn't get that warm, but I'm on 24 channels only.

greets
Interesting. Can you put you hand on the top of the Pwr sply (not the front face)? Or is it not accessable due to being in a rack with gear above it?

If you put your hand on the top panel, it will be hottest near the transformer, which is to one side. The other side of the panel you might be able to leave your hand on the panel.
Old 10th November 2011
Fezzle
Ive tracked n mixed on these in the past and they are very decent! They dont bring any personality though , theyre a straight ahead, vanilla, what goes in what goes out kinda vibe.. but depending on the type of work you do, and your other gear + mics etc , that probably doesnt matter one bit ! A really good console for the money

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search