The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone using the 747 on the stereo buss?
Old 22nd August 2002
Lives for gear

Anyone using the 747 on the stereo buss?

I've had the 747 for nearly a week, and it's an incredible unit. The eq is very sweet, just enough to add sheen to a mix, and the compressor, although the attack isn't the fastest I've ever seen, has a sound of its own, and adds enough compression to tuck in the sides.

What else are you using aside from the 747, in that price range?

Imagine
Old 22nd August 2002
Lives for gear

Wickid....

The 747 is a weird one.... Whilst i generaly dont like Avalon compressors cos they are a bit too polite, boring for my tastes they do happen to sound decent when used in conjunction AFTER another FASTER compressor. The slow attack and release curves of most Avalons are the downfall of all their compressors. Some dig them a lot, but not me when im using it for stero buss work, there are some decent tracking applications where they do work well.

I have had fantastic results with this unit when used after an AL Smart SSL type C2 compressor. I have found it great to get the first compressor realy vibey and punhy with stax of make up gain and then patch it into the 747 where the slow attack relaes thing of the 747's opto's realy clamp down and create a lot of swing and movement. Great for Rock and or fast and dynamic music...

But the EQ is the real reason why i dig this unit... its the **** for putting 'the icing on the cake'... not a surgical EQ like a GML etc but for sheen, adding top and bottom of removing some general woofiness in problem areas its great.. and beware because a little of that sort of passive EQ really does go a long way!!! its really addicitve to wind stax of bass in so beware.!!

PEACE
Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search