The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
20:1 on Distressor, what do you use it for?
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

20:1 on Distressor, what do you use it for?

What do you guyes use the 20:1 ratio on the Distressor for? I kinda liked it on rock-bass with the HPF-SC enabled.
Old 16th February 2006
TML
Lives for gear

hit a snare with it and blend that signal under the original...hit a room sound with it to created a oversized drum sound.
Tim
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Squashing room microphones!

Stein Tore
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

i'd use 20:1 in the same place i'd use any setting on the distressor... absolutely nowhere! (puts on flame suit).

seriously though, so i'm not a total asshole... i'd only use an extreme setting like that for a special effect.

--jon
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Drum room use is obvious, I have used it on trombone to squash the living **** out of it and keep it blatty, as well as a limiter at +8 on a 2-mix.
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Addict

i do sometimes sneak 20:1 under this "indie - guitarist with a tele into a light crunching vox amp playing standart voicings in the refrain and he is just so f**cking boring and doesnt get the refrain starting" to bring the resonance and shimmering (and noise ) out of the passage especially during the refrains where i fell that there needs to be some more excitement. but i just sneak it under the track, barly audible but little goes a long way.
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Room mics, snare, vocals. Distressors rule!

BTW, I really like NUKE on vocals as well. Don't knock it 'till ya tried it!
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Any other here tried it on bass?
Old 16th February 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
What do you guyes use the 20:1 ratio on the Distressor for?
For anything that requires no dynamic range and sounds appropriate through the EL-8 in the context of the mix. Could be a room, could be bass, could be vocals, could be the H/H, backing singer, keyboard part, percussion, horns, strings, or the muskrat "weedleheegoo" in a Captain and Tennille cover...
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML
hit a snare with it and blend that signal under the original.
Tim
That's right, I do that with a DBX 165 set to infinite.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 16th February 2006
Lives for gear

When I record bass I do this:

Bass -> Countryman DI

DI Balanced -> API3124 -> Distressor 20:1, HPF-SC, Mid attack, short release -> LPF at 200hz
DI Unbalanced -> Marshall JMP1 SpeakerSim out (in OD2 mode) -> HPF at 200hz

This gives me the most bad-ass bass I could ever want in a metal/rock production.

The reason i'm so "hung up" with limiting the clean bass sound bellow 200hz is to keep those frequenqies as stable as possible so they don't jump around or dissapair.
I get a lot of -8db compression and sometimes it goes as high as -10db, specially with those fingerplayer that never plays two notes with the same velocity.

It really works for me, however, I was kinda just wondering if you experienced guyes automatically would think that i'm crazy and don't know what i'm doing because "insert theoretical explenation here"...

Here's an example: http://home.online.no/~mstra/dd1.mp3
Old 17th February 2006
Lives for gear

Sometime at tracking i use it on kick to grab errant hits by inconsistent drummers.

If it's set up right it really doesn't get all that crazy sounding until pushed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search