The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
advice on "squarish" live room I'm building - please/thanks! :)
Old 15th February 2006
Gear Nut

advice on "squarish" live room I'm building - please/thanks! :)

I'm getting ready to complete the live-room in the facility that will be my new base of operations (my first "facility", I've been doing live and home recordings for a while now for local bands).

The room is approximately 15 1/2 feet by 16 1/2 feet. That's the bad news. Not tiny, but I wish it were less square (is that a big issue?) and a little bigger.

The good news is that it has a somewhat high gently sloping ceiling (12-13 feet) with huge beams every 18" or so. As the ceiling slopes up they become more exposed, so they range from one to two feet "deep" (the acoustic "pockets" they create). We are planning hardwood flooring. It will be a live room for trap sets and any other acoustic tracking that would benefit from a spacious, natural feel. We will also feature an iso-booth and a smaller more quiet but not dead room as well, so for this one I just want it to sound as live and spacious as possible.

My main concern is that I will have a band of frequencies that are way over-emphasized because of the almost square configuration of the walls.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search