The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTC2 vs A Designs Nail Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd March 2011
Here for the gear

Aurora GTC2 vs A Designs Nail

Does anybody own both and can you give me your opinion when comparing both products againts each other? Will use mainly for buss, vocals, guitars, piano. I've narrowed down my list to retro (176/sta), nail, gtc2 but figured a dual mono gives me more flexibility (and better price)hence I will probably wait to get the retro in the future and would either get gtc2 or nail first. Please describe your opinions in the context of what I plan to use them for. thanks.
Old 28th July 2011
Gear Head

I am interested in this question also.
Would like to know he difference from the gtc2
API 2500 and the nail. Especially
For 2- buss work.
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songwriter30 View Post
I am interested in this question also.
Would like to know he difference from the gtc2
API 2500 and the nail. Especially
For 2- buss work.
I have not had a chance to use the GTC2 yet. Between the API and the A Designs, they are both cool and very different. If you want the compression to be more transparent and have tons of control over envelope shaping I think the A Designs is the winner. If you want to compressor to impart more of a sound/character and make things meatier, I think the API would win.
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

i'd go for the GTC2.. Great compressor with FET and Opto chioces or both.. Hard to beat that IMO.. And Geoff Tanner's stuff is always top notch..

Just my 0.02$,

Bests,

Cheu
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

just demoed the gtc2
beautiful compressor.
highly recommended!
Old 3rd August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynmor View Post
Does anybody own both and can you give me your opinion when comparing both products againts each other? Will use mainly for buss, vocals, guitars, piano. I've narrowed down my list to retro (176/sta), nail, gtc2 but figured a dual mono gives me more flexibility (and better price)hence I will probably wait to get the retro in the future and would either get gtc2 or nail first. Please describe your opinions in the context of what I plan to use them for. thanks.
The GTC2 is a great all around compressor. It gives you the TWO different compression circuits, so it's really like getting two different stereo/ dual mono compressors. Plus, the fact that it uses the same transformers/ amplifier cards as the GTQ, it has that round bottom end and wonderful top that the other Aurora stuff is well known for.

BTW, either the FET or the OPTO will sound fantastic on all of the applications you listed.... including mix buss (and it's extremely difficult to find another unit that can work well on all of those sources AND mix buss).
Old 3rd August 2011
Here for the gear

Tony,

What is the turnaround time for a GTC2 order? Thanks.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Bump...I am also very interested in this question. Will use for the 2bus.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

I have and love both.

I personally find the GTC2 more versatile for various tracking and mixing duties. It's more predictable, easier to recall, and, as a few have mentioned, it has two different circuits which can be switched in at the same time yielding 3 distinct options in terms of tone and functionality.

That said, I was somewhat unconvinced as to the utility of 2 buss compression until I tried The Nail; now I'd hate to mix without it.

It couldn't hurt to have either one - even better to have both - but I'd get the GTC2 first. I never tried it on the 2 buss, because it's always busy doing something else; I have no doubt it would shine.

The Nail is probably a better 2 buss choice for me anyway because I already track and mix through so much Aurora Audio gear - I probably don't need to triple down on that by sending the whole mix through the GTC2.
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

steveschizoid, thanks for the comments. Yes, they both seem like outstanding compressors!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just got an older GTC2 and it is fabulous. Great for entire mixes and individual sources. The Opto setting seems to accentuate harmonics. Very nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search