The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 2 channel AD converter ? Digital Converters
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

I should add that, dB Technologies/Lavry Gold 2-ch converters were priced around 10k, largely I thought, because they use a hand built R2R ladder circuit instead of an off-the-shelf IC. That is also my understanding of the MSB, along with an advanced clock circuit. That doesn't make it worth 30k, but maybe more than 5 or 6k, in line with Lavry Gold, Grimm, etc...

I think Lavry has some new Gold converters, BTW.
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

My converter from what i understand has the transformer wound so that it runs from input to transformer to ADC, nothing else in that path.
Old 20th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
My converter from what i understand has the transformer wound so that it runs from input to transformer to ADC, nothing else in that path.
If you're referring to the Qes labs PAD-2, I'm still considering about pulling the trigger on this one.
The samples I've heard were surprisingly good.
It has focus, detail, transparency. In the vocal harmonies I could easily uravel the mass of sound, with a realistic and precise separation of all the parts, producing a greater sense of ambient space.
It features an effortless dynamic presentation of the sound stage, probably thanks to the totally passive analog front end.
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
If you're referring to the Qes labs PAD-2, I'm still considering about pulling the trigger on this one.
The samples I've heard were surprisingly good.
It has focus, detail, transparency. In the vocal harmonies I could easily uravel the mass of sound, with a realistic and precise separation of all the parts, producing a greater sense of ambient space.
It features an effortless dynamic presentation of the sound stage, probably thanks to the totally passive analog front end.
Yes, yes I am

Today im gonna try and throw something down even if its minimal. But i use my MPC so dynamic range is ilmited but can still still have that presence of each instrument and the space around it, its just not as pronounced as with recording a band with separate microphones.
Old 21st September 2016
Gear Maniac

Cranesong Hedd - Quantum Upgrade

Have anyone have tried the Cranesong Hedd 192 with the Quantum DA Upgrade? What you think?

Thx
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear
Apogee PSX 100 SE special edition can be picked up for cheaply these days and sounds fantastic. Sex on fire recorded by Kings of Leon went through that and sounds pretty good!
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Nut

I'm really digging the Burl and the Qes labs ADCs.
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Yeah, but the converter is from 2006 so I´m still thinking it´s just a hype ?
Also you have to be able to get the right powersupply and build a good looking box around it...
I may be interested if someone has one for sale.

Or put it this way...Is there any product outthere that uses this PCM4222 chip ?
Antelope Pure2 was quoted in my thread about AD/DA converters as having the PCM4222.

Surprisingly, the iD22 that I have uses the PCM4220, which is the same chip without DSD. Slightly different power requirements/numbers and whatnot -- otherwise they are practically brothers.

In the end, however, I think a lot of it has to do with one's clocking. A great AD/DA can sound a lot better if it has a fantastic clock for those sample rates.

I want to say it was an Antelope that had inputs for an atomic world clock. I have no idea where you'd buy an atomic clock just for using with an AD/DA converter, but if you're at that level....LMFAO, you can't really go any further!

EDIT: Yep, it's the Antelope Pure2 that has an input for an atomic world clock:

http://www.musicarts.com/Antelope-Au...5-i4777030.mac
Old 2nd March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jffmusic View Post
Have anyone have tried the Cranesong Hedd 192 with the Quantum DA Upgrade? What you think?

Thx
+1
Same question here... if it was as Solaris..long life for hedd!!
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Addict

In my world there is digital, there is analog, and there is JCF Audio
Old 6th March 2017
Here for the gear

AD : Prism Dream AD2
DA : Crane Song Egret
Old 15th March 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Still using the PCM4222EVM here. The Burrbrown PCA input amp was removed and replaced with an opamp design. It's also direct coupled as I have blocking caps on the analog console's outputs to block the 2.5V bias voltage.
Is there any good reading on this build? I've read through a couple of the threads here on GS but nothing super detailed. Is this something that a newbie EE type can tackle?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search