The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT 140 vs. UAD plugin Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

EMT 140 vs. UAD plugin

Few days ago we recapped and fine-tuned our EMT 140 (Stereo-, tube version) and it sounds TOTALLY AMAZING!

Also we made a little comparison between the UAD plugin and the real thing...

While the UAD plugin sounds like a nice reverb, its really NOTHING like the real one!

I'm really amazed about this, because i've heard so many good things about it, maybe people who like it just havent really been able to compare them side by side.

First of all, the way the real thing reacts to music, dynamics, frequencies etc. it's like a steinway grand vs. midi piano. UAD sounds totally dead in comparison. What is this? How can some people seriously sell their plate and be happy with UAD? I dont get it!

Well, of course EMT 140 weights 200kg, UAD fits to your pocket, ok I get it , I get it...

But still, UAD sounds like real nice reverb.
Old 9th March 2011
Someday I plan on buying some analog signal processing, for now I am stuck with plug ins. If you get chance it would be awesome to hear a clip of the two.
Old 9th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
Few days ago we recapped and fine-tuned our EMT 140 (Stereo-, tube version) and it sounds TOTALLY AMAZING!

While the UAD plugin sounds like a nice reverb, its really NOTHING like the real one!

I'm really amazed about this, because i've heard so many good things about it, maybe people who like it just havent really been able to compare them side by side.

First of all, the way the real thing reacts to music, dynamics, frequencies etc. it's like a steinway grand vs. midi piano. UAD sounds totally dead in comparison. What is this? How can some people seriously sell their plate and be happy with UAD? I dont get it!
Absolutely - been saying this since the day UAD EMT came out. It's alright - but the real deal is not just a bit better - it's nothing like the UAD !!
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Could you provide some samples?
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
Someday I plan on buying some analog signal processing, for now I am stuck with plug ins. If you get chance it would be awesome to hear a clip of the two.
I dont have the UAD anymore, just borrowed it for one day for testing as i thought i might get a good reference for tuning the real plate...well, the real thing sounded better even before the recap and tuning!

But we all know that if you have a great song, clever arrangement, superb musicians and amazing vocalist, your mix will sound fantastic with UAD 140. But it will sound EVEN BETTER with the real plate.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Absolutely - been saying this since the day UAD EMT came out. It's alright - but the real deal is not just a bit better - it's nothing like the UAD !!
Well, now i can agree with you completely!heh
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear
Have you tried nebula reverbs there is a really great 140 version - I dont have a real 140 but it sounds nothing like the uad either
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
Have you tried nebula reverbs there is a really great 140 version - I dont have a real 140 but it sounds nothing like the uad either
Just had a session while ago with four EMT 140 plates connected to the console and all of them sounded bit different, although they all were stereo tube versions and around the same age (mid-sixties).

No, i havent tried the nebula plugin. I dont do plugins so much anymore, cause they all tend to sound bit lifeless and boring.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just had a session while ago with four EMT 140 plates connected to the console and all of them sounded bit different, although they all were stereo tube versions and around the same age (mid-sixties).

No, i havent tried the nebula plugin. I dont do plugins so much anymore, cause they all tend to sound bit lifeless and boring.
I agree but nebula isn't like any other plug in.
Old 9th March 2011
No plates sound the same, so I have to imagine making a plug-in emulating one would be pretty difficult!
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
No plates sound the same, so I have to imagine making a plug-in emulating one would be pretty difficult!
It is actually even harder than simulating something like a real grand piano because the plate emulation has to react to limitless amount off different source material.

And I have never heard a grand piano simulation that has really been even close. Well, played soloed it might sound decent but in a mix where you can only hear little slice of the sound, its f a r a w a y . . .
Old 9th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
Could you provide some samples?
I could probably do a quick couple. There are a few UAD cards here and a real EMT
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have Echoplate IIs here . . the difference between plates or natural rooms / chambers etc is IMV the ambience falls down inside the track and embraces the instrument. Where as digital boxes and especially plug ins seem to just put an over all white wash of ambience across the track / instrument which I never like as much. You perceive the ambience . . but with plates you 'feel' it and sense it (IMV). A well maintained plate is a wonderful thing and will offer a more realistic depth and width. Though obviously there are some very good digital verbs like the Bricasti and EMT digital. Plug ins? . . I have yet to hear one that I really like.
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Well, of course EMT 140 weights 200kg, UAD fits to your pocket, ok I get it , I get it...

But still, UAD sounds like real nice reverb.
cool.
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Software will just piss you off... The real deal can seriously Kill you.
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Software will just piss you off... The real deal can seriously Kill you.
I know I sound like a broken record but I can't help thinking that everyone who says that hasn't used nebula - seriously!

I prefer it to a lot of hardware.
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

It's a bit subjective though. I had an EMT 140 that sounded very very close to the UAD. I had to sell it a while back because I moved. I bought another 140 in LA when I moved here and it sounded nothing like the UAD. Is it better worse? No. I liked my old plate more. But plates are all very different. I've never heard one like the other. It's pretty hard to put a judgement call on it.

The plugin was so similar to my old one we used the plugin in a mix once in the beginning for an automation with the ends returns etc in pro tools for an effect at the intro of the song and used the outboard plate for the rest of the song on the mix on the console. It was outstanding how close it sounded. I even overdrove in a very similar way. I hardly EVER use plugins. But when in a pinch the UAD does it for me. But if I had the plate I have now and never had my old plate, I would be under a similar impression. It really isn't anything like the plugin, at least mine now isn't.

But at the end of the day, I'm glad I have my 140. I use it before anything else.
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
It's a bit subjective though. I had an EMT 140 that sounded very very close to the UAD. I had to sell it a while back because I moved. I bought another 140 in LA when I moved here and it sounded nothing like the UAD. Is it better worse? No. I liked my old plate more. But plates are all very different. I've never heard one like the other. It's pretty hard to put a judgement call on it.

The plugin was so similar to my old one we used the plugin in a mix once in the beginning for an automation with the ends returns etc in pro tools for an effect at the intro of the song and used the outboard plate for the rest of the song on the mix on the console. It was outstanding how close it sounded. I even overdrove in a very similar way. I hardly EVER use plugins. But when in a pinch the UAD does it for me. But if I had the plate I have now and never had my old plate, I would be under a similar impression. It really isn't anything like the plugin, at least mine now isn't.

But at the end of the day, I'm glad I have my 140. I use it before anything else.
I have used six different EMT 140 stereo tube plates within just few weeks and although they all sound bit different they all behave similarly in a mix, blend in and react to music similarily. The tone just differs.

But UAD behaved very differently and didnt blend in att all like the real plates.
Old 10th March 2011
I have real plate and Nebula impulses, we can do little shoot-out with same sample with UAD, real EMT 140 transistor, EMT 140 tube, Nebula impulses
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I have real plate and Nebula impulses, we can do little shoot-out with same sample with UAD, real EMT 140 transistor, EMT 140 tube, Nebula impulses
That would be great!
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel saunders View Post
I know I sound like a broken record but I can't help thinking that everyone who says that hasn't used nebula - seriously!

I prefer it to a lot of hardware.

I agree. most people who think digital plugins don't "cut it" has either not tried Nebula or tried the free demo for a few seconds and gave up. I'm sure no one with ears will dismiss Nebula as just another "digital plugin". nebula sounds so good it's really a matter of work flow to prefer an analog device over Nebula.

B.T.W I worked with an old EMT 140. Nebula nailed it very well.
Old 10th March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
I'm sure no one with ears will dismiss Nebula as just another "digital plugin".

I would. But in the same way as an IBIS is "just another EQ". Nebula is great - but so are many many other things. It isn't some amazing format above all other plugins.
Old 10th March 2011
I don`t use my real plate since I bought Nebula...
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear
How about Lexicon PCM bundle compare to the real plate?
Old 10th March 2011
let`s do shootout with lexicon pcm too, all differences will be clear
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I would. But in the same way as an IBIS is "just another EQ". Nebula is great - but so are many many other things. It isn't some amazing format above all other plugins.
I pull my hat of to you sir. no disrespect intended. you are the first one I have encountered who heard Nebula and don't think it's beyond and above other plugins (excluding compressors ).
I wish there were other plugins like nebula, but from my experience nothing comes closer.
Old 10th March 2011

I didn't say it wasn't good. The best digital EQs I've heard are always algorithmic and not convolution ( dynamic, SIR or otherwise). Nebula seems very good at recreating harmonic effects from hardware. But for clean eq I'm much more impressed by algorithmix, ssl x-eq, or flux. I'm also more impressed by 88D eq and the UAD 88R plugin
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
nebula sounds so good it's really a matter of work flow to prefer an analog device over Nebula.
you can not be serious. Yes, Nebula sounds good but I prefer EMT 140 because it sounds superior to any reverb device i've ever heard.

Much of the old vintage gear are nowadays in miserable condition and are not doing what they were originally designed to do...
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can not be serious. Yes, Nebula sounds good but I prefer EMT 140 because it sounds superior to any reverb device i've ever heard.

Much of the old vintage gear are nowadays in miserable condition and are not doing what they were originally designed to do...
the guy obviously never heared a real emt on good monitors. no offense. but im getting sick of people telling me that nebula sounds just as good as hardware. it might sound better as the off the shelf plugins but no its not hardware.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
the guy obviously never heared a real emt on good monitors. no offense. but im getting sick of people telling me that nebula sounds just as good as hardware. it might sound better as the off the shelf plugins but no its not hardware.
I agree 100%.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search