The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going to New York....any good pro-audio stores to visit? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Going to New York....any good pro-audio stores to visit?

I´m going to New York to catch a concert with the Allman Brothers Band in late March. Gotta see them live before they leave this planet... While there, I´d like to visit some pro-audio stores and see if there is any bargains to pick up ;-). Not much chance of that here in Norway :-(. Any recommandations? I´ll be spending most of my time in Manhattan.

Stein Tore
Old 6th February 2006
member no 666

Rogue Music rules!!!
Old 6th February 2006
Dale Pro Audio on 22 West 19th St, 2nd Floor (Between 5th and 6th Ave). Old-school NYC Pro Audio dealership. Great staff, very knowledgeable, nice showroom.

www.daleproaudio.com

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio - 420 9th Avenue, the whole block on 9th is theirs. Huge store, very busy, always buzzing. Closed Saturday.

www.bhphotovideo.com

There is a new showcase Guitar Center in Union Square - 25 W. 14th Street btwn 5th and 6th - with a Pro Audio department downstairs. Go 'round the corner to Singer Hii when you're done to see NY's premier high-end Hi Fi dealer. Union Square has lots of great shops and restaurants, good place to spend an afternoon.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/location....cfm?store=810
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Rogue Music rules!!!

Oh no, no no no, I know you mean thier for-sale items but if thier repare service is any indication then BUYER BEWARE! You're a stand up guy and a super smart engineer and I assume you've had good experiences with them but you gotta know these guys have a TERRIBLE reputation. I had two pieces of gear repaired by them (at the same time) and never had a worse retail experience in my life. The stories about Rogue abound in this city.

They swapped all the NOS GE tubes out of the back of my Super Reverb and replaced them with generic groove tubes and told me to "prove" I had the NOS tubes in it in the first place - which I couldn't. They were replacing an output trasformer, assured me they were getting a reissue from Fender which upon later inspection was a generic russian. They quoted me 3 weeks and it took almost 9. At one point I was calling once or twice a week for an update, they'd put me on hold, then hang up. After 8 weeks of this I just went in to get the amp hell-or-highwater and they hauled it out for me totally disassemble, no tubes anywhere in site. When I pitched a fit they promised me it would be the next day (tueday)... on friday I picked it up repleate with "new tubes" and a bill for $450!!! For repalcing an output transformer and tubes I hadn't requested to be touched. I talked with my lawyer and a few other people that had similar stories of going thru the mill with these guys about the possibility of a class action suit but we concluded we didn't have enough.

My friend and co-worker brought in a PA with a dead channel. They fried the unit and then tried to charge him for replacing the curcuit board. He came and got it and lo-and-behold the unit was entirely dead. They said the same thing... can you prove it was functional when you dropped it off? The guy is about the most Christian honest abe I know.

I'm not going to go into how they "lost" another friend's rare guitar pedal a few years ago and how a suspiciously similar one ended up thier case for sale.

It just goes on and on and on.

I put up a sign in the music building on 39th for people to contact me regarding the possible suit and got almost two dozen calls. Most were equally horrifying but ultimately too difficult to prove beyond just incredibly awful and rediculously overpriced incompetant service. But of course, YMMV.
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

i have to agree with Overnight, Rogue has a pretty bad reputation here in nyc. i have bought quite a bit of gear from them ( mostly a long time ago) and that was usually a good experience. the sales guys are all good guys (perhaps if they know you?).
BUT i did have a terrible repair experience there a long time ago.
still, i remember a couple of good experiences, so just keep your eyes open,
david
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rogue Music rules!!!
Maybe if you're a musician who likes funky, crappy, old, overpriced gear.

But their list of "audio" related items is not too inspiring:

http://www.roguemusic.com/gear_audio.html

"Alesis Midiverb III" $75 Just In!

The only shop I will walk into and hang out at in NYC is Steve Strassberg's:

http://www.strassberg.com/

He will treat you like family.

Old 6th February 2006
Gear Addict

rogue welcome to the flea mart
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe Fletcher was being ironic....? What do I know... Their (Rouge) website did not inspire me to go there. Their "news", MBox2 and ADK, are not on my shopping list anyway. Neither is the Midiverb III heh , altough I would have a good laugh when I found out I had travelled half around the world to shop for gear, only to find a $75 Midiverb III heh heh

Thanks anyway, I apreciate the information.

Stein Tore
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident fan
rogue welcome to the flea mart
They have some nice stuff mingling with the garbage but the doods behind the counters come off as seriously slippery. And assuming that any used shop with a repair department has to service much of that gear in stock before it hits the floor with a price tag, I would seriously think twice given thier proven ineptness and penchant for deception.
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

If you for some reason didn't know already, there's a bunch of stores on 48th street. Maybe not god's gift to pro-audio but you can kill an hour or a two there.

If you're into guitars and stompboxes, 30th street guitars is a cool store. (At least it was 1,5 years ago when I last visited NYC...). 30th street, west side.
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
If you for some reason didn't know already, there's a bunch of stores on 48th street. Maybe not god's gift to pro-audio but you can kill an hour or a two there....
Actually, an hour or two will end up killing you.....

Enter any of them at your own risk.

On the other hand, if you want to see how bad audio sales can be, give each one a couple of minutes each.

BUT NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been warned. tutt
Old 6th February 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
If you for some reason didn't know already, there's a bunch of stores on 48th street. Maybe not god's gift to pro-audio but you can kill an hour or a two there.

If you're into guitars and stompboxes, 30th street guitars is a cool store. (At least it was 1,5 years ago when I last visited NYC...). 30th street, west side.
Well, besides Rudy's music & some keyboard shop with a bunch of Moog & old Roland/Korg/Emu stuff 48th Street is ALL Sam Ash.

One side is like Ash guitars, sheetmusic, & audio...the other side of the street is Ash drums, band instruments, and keys. Scam Cash also bought Manny's in like '98 or so, go in there and it's all the same **** 'ya saw on the rest of the block.

Rudy's is worth a stop if your a paddle plunker. 30th Street guitars is great...Matt Umanov's shop is a worthwhile cab ride too. Rogue music can be great, but there's totally a "buyer be very aware before handing cash over" vibe. I've never gotten screwed by them, but I've never had them fix anything either.

For audio stuff, yeah B&H...Dale...haven't been to that new GC yet and I'm not really planning on it. Sad to say it but there's not much left these days for "pro" audio in NYC. Even the good shops have to special order stuff in.
Old 6th February 2006
Armens repair shop downstairs from Rogue.

Bring cash and be ready to haggle.
Old 7th February 2006
Gear Addict

i agree with jay about Matt Umanov's . and there is excellent pizza across the street. i also like 48 th street . i have spent entire afternoons over there. they have 1 or 2 guys in each store who really knows his stuff. every store is different once u get past the surface similiarities.
Old 7th February 2006
Gear Maniac

wow, y'all are kinda harsh on rogue!

i think it's definitely worth a _visit_. there aren't any _bargains_ on pro audio anywhere in Manhattan, especially -- there's plenty of demand here -- but at least rogue has interesting stuff. yeah, it's junky, but isn't junky at least a bit cool? don't you want to at least _consider_ getting a CBS Audimax or some Neve 34700 channel strips (before passing)?

and didn't armen used to be the rogue repair dude, back (perhaps) when some of this bad rap got started?

anyway - I'd send someone there before guitar center or music row.

there's a nice Eventide museum display (literally) at the GC on 14th, but I don't think there are too many bargains there!

the keyboard place with old moogs on 48th is Two Lines -- their Tribeca store just closed -- had a great lineup of old-school vintage synths (they're probably uptown now). overpriced, though, for sure.
Old 7th February 2006
Lives for gear

Armen!
Hilarious!!
Old 7th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin'
Armen!
Hilarious!!
He has a lot of Pro Audio outboard gear in there.

Used Tubetechs,Lexicons,Manley,Summit,UA stuff you don't see in any stores in Manhattan.

Like i said bring cash and be ready to negotiate.
Old 7th February 2006
Really? I've never noticed that stuff. I'll have to look more carefully.

I don't really like Dr. Sound that much, but they've usually got some intereting keyboards.

There's the Modenr Drum shop on 30th and of course 30th St Guitars. Carmine St Guitar have the Rober Quine collection.

There's a couple of places in Brooklyn and some Lower East Side guitart shops - Ludow St Guitars.

Used recording gear? Not much beyond Rogue.
Old 7th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
Really? I've never noticed that stuff. I'll have to look more carefully.
Behind the counter.
Old 7th February 2006
member no 666

I've never had any service done by Rogue... but I love picking through their junk piles... I've walked out of there with all kinds of crap I've found to be gold... but as always, YMMV
Old 7th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never had any service done by Rogue... but I love picking through their junk piles... I've walked out of there with all kinds of crap I've found to be gold... but as always, YMMV
My kind of store! Thanks everyone.

Stein Tore
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERNIGHT
Oh no, no no no, I know you mean thier for-sale items but if thier repare service is any indication then BUYER BEWARE! You're a stand up guy and a super smart engineer and I assume you've had good experiences with them but you gotta know these guys have a TERRIBLE reputation. I had two pieces of gear repaired by them (at the same time) and never had a worse retail experience in my life. The stories about Rogue abound in this city.

They swapped all the NOS GE tubes out of the back of my Super Reverb and replaced them with generic groove tubes and told me to "prove" I had the NOS tubes in it in the first place - which I couldn't. They were replacing an output trasformer, assured me they were getting a reissue from Fender which upon later inspection was a generic russian. They quoted me 3 weeks and it took almost 9. At one point I was calling once or twice a week for an update, they'd put me on hold, then hang up. After 8 weeks of this I just went in to get the amp hell-or-highwater and they hauled it out for me totally disassemble, no tubes anywhere in site. When I pitched a fit they promised me it would be the next day (tueday)... on friday I picked it up repleate with "new tubes" and a bill for $450!!! For repalcing an output transformer and tubes I hadn't requested to be touched. I talked with my lawyer and a few other people that had similar stories of going thru the mill with these guys about the possibility of a class action suit but we concluded we didn't have enough.

My friend and co-worker brought in a PA with a dead channel. They fried the unit and then tried to charge him for replacing the curcuit board. He came and got it and lo-and-behold the unit was entirely dead. They said the same thing... can you prove it was functional when you dropped it off? The guy is about the most Christian honest abe I know.

I'm not going to go into how they "lost" another friend's rare guitar pedal a few years ago and how a suspiciously similar one ended up thier case for sale.

It just goes on and on and on.

I put up a sign in the music building on 39th for people to contact me regarding the possible suit and got almost two dozen calls. Most were equally horrifying but ultimately too difficult to prove beyond just incredibly awful and rediculously overpriced incompetant service. But of course, YMMV.
hi, i'm pretty sure that the issues you had at rogue were due to Armen, their FORMER repair guy... there was a billion complaints about him and he's long gone (unfortunately working in his own shop right downstairs)... their new repair staff is great... and honest.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Bump for this? I'm visiting for the first time next week and looking to go to any cool stores and also any tips for music/studio related things to see and do while over for a week.

I'm staying Midtown/chelsea so would appreciate tips.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Nut

As a native New Yorker, i have to agree with the B&H, and Dale Pro, recommendations. B&H is easily the most comprehensive, and largest, pro audio, video, and photo, store I've ever been to, and have been shopping there since I was a kid. I'll also add Stereo Exchange to the list. It's more of a home audio store than studio equipment, but for home systems, amps, and speakers, they are amongst the best I've ever come across in the US.

-TKB
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Head

Just FYI, Matt Umanov has closed shop. Ludlow St. guitars is gone as well. 30th Street guitars is still going strong but now located on 27th St.
Old 15th October 2018
Alto Music in Greenpoint has a great selection of hi end gear... also some second hand stuff.

30th St guitars on 27th street has a great selection of guitars and pedals...Matt who owns the shop is a great dude.

...alot of my friends say Retrofret is a great guitar shop too.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

B&H is kind'a hectic though.... Not a fan... also not of their employee practices...

Had great experiences with Alto before, so thumbs up on them (though I haven't seen the Greenpoint store).
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Chelsea Guitars if you like vintage guitars and a place with character. Google them.

Easy walking distance (a few "beautiful" blocks) from 30th Street Guitars (in distance) but a totally different vibe.
Old 16th October 2018
Do a local Craig's List search there and find those gems before the retailers mark them up.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlepaas View Post
Alto Music in Greenpoint has a great selection of hi end gear... also some second hand stuff. .
+1 for Alto. Great place to demo monitors.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search