so many mic preamps & compressors
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

so many mic preamps & compressors

hi there,

this is Jan from Germany. For I'm a bratwurst, my English doesn't run properly all the time but nevertheless I endeavor to make my concern clear to you

what i'm aiming at is a mic preamp and a vocal compressor. both the devices should yield good results to hiphop vocals and they should produce a present, open and somehow... let's say "big" sound - i can't define with other words due to my limited vocabulary. owing to the wide variety of offerings, i really must acknowledge my ignorance.

the devices i currently like most are the following:

compressor:
http://www.mediaspec.co.uk/detail_st...30&mediaspec=8
http://www.musik-service.de/Chandler...5662869de.aspx
http://www.musik-service.de/ADL-1000...5709781de.aspx

mic preamp:
http://www.mediaspec.co.uk/detail_st...29&mediaspec=8
http://www.digitalprosound.com/artic...e.jsp?id=35696

my question is, if somebody already has had the pleasure (what a sentence-structure - don't know, if it's right ) with this equipment and so might submit a proposal which solution could be the most appropriate for me. better alternatives in the price range i chose are welcome as well!

so... i hope you could read my English okay. i'm really looking foward to your replies!

jan
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for food

........"which solution could be the most appropriate for me..."

Who's turn is it to go first?
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

i already got a semi-professional mic-preamp in my audio-interface... so i think the compressor is my first choice...
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey Pope
I'm a bratwurst
Stop it. You're making me hungry.

There's a current thread about the Buzz in this forum. Very highly regarded by many, including me.

I've not heard the Pacifica yet.
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

do you like German bratwursts? i like your oversized burgers aswell

what compressor would you favor for hiphop vocals?
Old 5th February 2006
gem
Gear maniac

i like distressors or 1176 or emt256 for hip-hop vocals.

cheers
gem
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

could you perhaps tell me what distressor in particular?

by the way... could you please tell me the complete the names of the two devices you mention? i can't find them...
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

hi bratwurst

rooms do have the biggest influence on the recording imho . you cant get rid of nasty tones & sounds . once youve recorded it, its IN the performance .

i would look for a nice preamp and a good a/d . so you are able to capture nice signals ( if your recording to disk ? ) .

Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

hi downup

i don't really understand what you mean by "record to a disk" .... my audio software is sonar.... i don't put every track on cd, if i understood you correctly
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

hi bratwurst,

why don't you ask this Bratwurst: www.akzent-audio.de
if he'd rent some pres out and then listen for yourself.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

cheers
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

hey alexi.... i already knew this homepage but hadn't considered, yet, to ask if i could lend some equipment... thank you for calling my attention
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

by the way... do you say "lend" or "rent" in this case? sorry... i'm just a stupid, uneducated Bratwurst... dfegad

Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

didn't you read it? i'm a German Bratwurst if you like it more exactly: i'm from münster, north rhine-westphalia...
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

i thought you figured alrdy that i am in krautland as well

münster ... hmmm, kinda longer way to my place . otherwise you could jump over and press some buttons . and jean from akzente audio is like 15 mins away .

" germans speaking english " 2006

Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

Germans speaking English.... i do my best! i know it sounds ugly sometimes

i hadn't figured out, yet, that you're in Germany. shame on me but you're definitely muddling up something... Krautland is Holland
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

e ...

well in fact of you mention hiphop and kraut ... well we know the rest of the story

i guess the KRAUTS is a leftover from WWII when the americans called the germans " KRAUTS " . no intention of smoking weed . tutt

back on topic stike
Old 5th February 2006
Gear interested

you're right... we've gone a bit off-topic... stop that burger-, bratwurst- and krautcliché
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Im in Heidelberg. Wie Gehts. I am not a bratwurst. I am a zionist american pig living here for 6 years. thumbsup

Kraut is a derivative of Sauerkraut.

Americans dont call them that anymore. Too harsh. Now they call them 220s(for the voltage! )

I call them their name normally. WTF is up with Germans and Hip Hop???I want all the Hip Hop to come to germany so I dont have to see it when I go back to America.

Bis Bald !

Herr Bullard
Old 6th February 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey Pope
Krautland is Holland
huh .... you called?

hiphop hey? anything goes really. (IMHO)
some of the cats in the hiphop part of the gearslutz thought it was SSL comp Avalon 737 and neumann U87.. and some still think so.

me, I like SSL or Urei as comp. preamp Joemeek (at 11) with a sennheiser 441... brutal
Attached Thumbnails
so many mic preamps & compressors-d76f14f64a.jpg  
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
........"which solution could be the most appropriate for me..."

Who's turn is it to go first?
Old 6th February 2006
Gear addict

Please be aware that akzent audio tends to be VERY expensive.
Which is a shame cause he is the importeur of some great brands...

Go here

or here

Good luck !
Old 6th February 2006
Gear interested

hey overhalen... i've already noticed that "akzent audio" is at a very high prize... even lending seems to be quite costy. nevertheless thanks for your hint and especially for the links!

@ reptil: i don't think, i'm able to afford an urei..... could you tell me which device you mean in particular?

@ bigray: yes... hiphop really is about to come in germany. but mine is a quite
alternative style... i don't go with those sido, azad and eko bullshit...
Old 6th February 2006
Herr Pope, Ich habe dir ein PM gesendet.. thumbsup
Old 6th February 2006
Gear interested

herzlichen dank, reptil.... sogar in deutsch, wow! i'm impressed
Old 6th February 2006
Wir sind ja Nachbarn.. (we're neighbours)
kein Schweiß
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen
Please be aware that akzent audio tends to be VERY expensive.
Which is a shame cause he is the importeur of some great brands...

Go here

or here
please keep in mind that akzent audio has a very (!) good service policy. for instance they offer free replacement units for the time a broken unit has to be sent to them for repair. thumbsup

perhaps it looks like they're expensive at first glance, but it's all for a reason.
you don't pay them just for the gear, but also for customers' support that is hard to beat (at least in germany).
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

For the compressor, try the Purple MC77 (an 1176 clone) -- better than new 1176's and great at making vocals big once you find the right setting for the voice and performance, etc.
Old 6th February 2006
Gear nut

Ich bin ein verrückter Deutscher Texan gerade. Ich weiß nichts! Nichts!! thumbsup
Old 6th February 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
please keep in mind that akzent audio has a very (!) good service policy. for instance they offer free replacement units for the time a broken unit has to be sent to them for repair. thumbsup

perhaps it looks like they're expensive at first glance, but it's all for a reason.
you don't pay them just for the gear, but also for customers' support that is hard to beat (at least in germany).
It does not LOOK like they are expensive, they definitely ARE expensive.
Akzent audio has demo-units to ship around, just like a lot of other companies who sell hi-end.
That`s no big deal and does not justify their high prices. It is part of the game.
(I know another german distributor who actually drove some units to my front door for testing).
There is this other seller who gave me his demo-unit while I waited for mine to be shipped.
This guy also guarantees replacement units while repairing yours in case it is broken.

There are some good people around.

Last time I bought hi end I saved about 800,- € for ONE single unit just because I didn' t buy from a.a.
I felt that this was a little bit too much for "good customers support".
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search