The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Confused. Do Converters Help Soft Synths?
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Confused. Do Converters Help Soft Synths?

Newbie to the forum here... My question is do better quality converters (either A/D and D/A) help the sound of software synths i.e., those found within Logic, Sampletank, etc..??? If so (or if not), how and why? Right now I'm using a MOTU 896HD and some soft synths like the ones mentioned, but although they sound great within Logic, once they are bounced and taken out of Logic, I feel everything has an apparent digital "chill" to it. Almost as if there is a blanket covering the clarity.

I've also been thinking about picking up the new Apogee Ensemble. Any thoughts? Big leap over the MOTU no doubt, but would I be better off picking up an external clock and/or converters? Maybe just a rosetta 200 or something similar? Many thanks. J.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear
I noticed a big difference when I upgraded from a FW Motu 828 (v.1) to the RME HDSP 96/52 card, both running into my ddx 3216 via lightpipe. The Motu didn't come close to the quality of the RME; I think it has to do with the RME's better clocking, since neither box was being used for the D/A conversion (that was happening in the mixer). It made the softsynths pretty usable, whereas before they sounded like bad Colecovision game soundtracks.
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

Well it would sound exactly the same regardless of the converters as long as you stay in the computer. Of course it will sound diffrent if you put the sound out thru diffrent DA converters but if you mix inside your computer and render your tracks to a stereo file and burn a CD, then you should not hear any diffrent regarding the DA:s. Does that make any sense?

/Cojo
Old 5th February 2006
Yes, there's absolutely no diference to the sound of what's going on inside the DAW (including soft synths) in respect to what sound card or converters you are using.

The sound card/convert will only influence latency, and A/D D/A. Which means that what you personally are hearing (and thus the way you EQ, etc.) will be affected by the D/A but not the actual sound in the DAW.
Old 5th February 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks you to everyonne for clearing all of that up for me. I guess my next question would be how much will using an external clock (such as Big Ben) help clean up the "blanket-chill" within my tracks?
Old 5th February 2006
Lives for gear

well, somehow you have to monitor whats going on inside the puter .

so if your using a " classic " setup you have to have a DA conversion to feed your monitor speakers, headphones, etc .

DAs defenatley change the sound you are listening to and this at least affects everything coming out of the puter BIGTIME .

i am a lil bit confused :

cause it sounds like you like it to the point before you bounce it to disk

the whole bounce to disk thing is a book filling discussion !

cant see how a piece of gear should give you the result back your used to listen to before you hit the bounce button .
Old 7th February 2006
Gear Addict

i am thinking of getting dimension pro dxi soft synth to use with my sonar 4.04. i only use the sonar for sequencing. i use a radar 24 and an analog mixer for audio.
what would be the cheapest decent quality method of getting at least 8 outputs out of the dimension pro for use as virtual midi tracks to be ran into the ananolg mixer with the radar trax for mixdown. edirol makes a breakout box for about $500, does anyone have any experience with this box or can recommend another?
i already have an emu ultra, so i don't want anything cheesey.
thanks,
regards,
TF

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search