The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio BM15a vs. Genelec 8050A Studio Monitors
Old 2nd February 2010
Gear Addict

Dynes and Gennys sound lovley..

But they sound too good and have a lovley color as they are very hi end hi fi sounding.

For mixing i find they just sound too good and you can yes do good mixes on them but they can be a little tricky only because they sound so dam good.. i own BM15a,s and Gen 1029a,s, for at least 10 years now.

I much prefer a flatter sounding speaker for the mixing task. For that i use 10'' Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers. So much easier to mix on those.
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

interesting
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Know it's an old thread but figured I'd throw in my .02
Been mixing on BM15A's for 4 years or so now. Love them. I can hear everything. I use them a lot at low volume. They're defined. You can pick out things you need to hear.

I recently was out of town working on a mix project and 15's were not available. They had some 8050's. At first I found them to share some of that same definition I got from the 15's. The highs were pleasant too. But I had a really hard time with the low mids. They were very undefined and maybe even low mid heavy. It gave me a headache. I lost where I was with a few mixes. Couldn't wrap my head around. I was pulling things out of mixes that I usually don't and listening to them outside of the studio and being very unsatisfied.

But, I'm sure if I had started with those 4 years ago I would have gotten used to them. Pretty subjective. They 15 has it's downs too but I'm used to them. They're bright! But I like bright. And because they're bright my mixes seem to contain some more natural character I feel because I don't brighten things up as much as some. And I use ribbons. That probably is a bad combination
Old 1st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Know it's an old thread but figured I'd throw in my .02
Been mixing on BM15A's for 4 years or so now. Love them. I can hear everything. I use them a lot at low volume. They're defined. You can pick out things you need to hear.

I recently was out of town working on a mix project and 15's were not available. They had some 8050's. At first I found them to share some of that same definition I got from the 15's. The highs were pleasant too. But I had a really hard time with the low mids. They were very undefined and maybe even low mid heavy. It gave me a headache. I lost where I was with a few mixes. Couldn't wrap my head around. I was pulling things out of mixes that I usually don't and listening to them outside of the studio and being very unsatisfied.

But, I'm sure if I had started with those 4 years ago I would have gotten used to them. Pretty subjective. They 15 has it's downs too but I'm used to them. They're bright! But I like bright. And because they're bright my mixes seem to contain some more natural character I feel because I don't brighten things up as much as some. And I use ribbons. That probably is a bad combination
was the room treated?
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
Dynes and Gennys sound lovley..

But they sound too good and have a lovley color as they are very hi end hi fi sounding.

For mixing i find they just sound too good and you can yes do good mixes on them but they can be a little tricky only because they sound so dam good.. i own BM15a,s and Gen 1029a,s, for at least 10 years now.

I much prefer a flatter sounding speaker for the mixing task. For that i use 10'' Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers. So much easier to mix on those.
In a classic tale of YMMV, I replaced a pair of Tannoy System 12 DMTs with BM15as. I love to listen to the Tannoys for fun, but I find the Dynaudios have lots of information the Tannoys lack. Mixes done on the Dynaudios translate far better than on any other monitors I've ever used.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical View Post
We just did a monitor shootout here and decided on the Dynaudio BM15a's. After soffit mounting them, they started pumping out significantly more bottom end, so having more eq control on the speakers would have been nice. +/- 3db isn't all that much when tweaking bottom end (we have it at -3 now for flattest response).

I don't need a sub, but again, soffit mounting them made a big difference in reinforcing the bottom end.

The speakers can fatigue ears, but part of that I think just comes down to watching the monitoring volume because it's so easy to crank these things up.

So, these won our shootout, but the 8050's weren't included because of the difficulty in mounting a rounded speaker like that. Incidentally I found out after the fact that Genelec sells a kit that makes mounting them easier.

Best of luck in your search.

tom
Vertical Studios: A recording studio in Vancouver, Canada
Sorry. Old thread resurrection.

I'm currently designing a room with a planned Dynaudio BM15A soffit configuration. Did you remove the amps and completely seal the soffit? Leave them in and provide venting? No venting and roll dice? I'd really like to hear about your experiences!
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear
i don't think either one will get you wrong

I think you should able to mix on both BM15 or 8050a
they both are pro enough mixing monitor. Both are owned and used by many famous mixing engineer.

Don't bite any of those "bios" from some people off the street and try to sell you "only this gear will make you a PRO".

It is very often people criticize on things that they never really know it.
such as they only heard KRK Rokit and they said KRK E8 sucks.
Or they only heard ADAM A7 and they said S3X sound just like A7.
And some only heard Genelec 8020 and believe 8050 will sound like 8020.
Even HS80M doesnt sound like NS10m in mid at all~

ANYWAY, at the end, i like both speakers even i end up with 8050 myself :P
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010
Not meaning to be a biotch or anything but you do realize the post you are responding to was from 16th February 2006 yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Amirian View Post
I sure do

it's you who wrote even later than me

WTF, it's Gearslutz, every thread can be brought to life heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghostie View Post
Yeah - even if it's four years old
Make it 5 and half.

Last edited by Kecinzer; 30th September 2011 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Just because.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

One again - bump to a very old thread.

Heard the Genelec 8040 recently and was impressed.

How are the 8050 stacking up these days?

By the way I don't like any focals or Adams that I have ever heard
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

I had the 8020, then the 8030 and now the 8040. Loved them all. Maybe Genelec should send me a t-shirt or something?
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

I have a set of 8050A, playing through my Lyngdorf Room Perfect system (which are very good at taming resonances like a slight overblown bass in some rooms).

I like the full body and weight 8050A can deliver. I find them musical and revealing at the same time, which has always been my ideal for monitors.

I haven't compared them to Amphions or the latest (expensive) three-way Genelecs (can't afford to change), which may be even better. What I can say with confidence is that good recordings can sound wonderful, big and 3D on these speakers (if the information is there). I have enjoyed hours and hours listening experience, both alone and in good company - and I know them very well (had them since they came out, maybe 10 years or something).

Some criticize 8000 series Genelecs for sounding good (hifi) whatever you play on them - that's not my experience at all. Maybe bad recordings sound even more horrible on certain other speakers, but I don't see that as a quality to strive for.

I'm sure there are better speakers out there (there always are and will be) - but these still works for me...

::
Mads
Old 25th May 2016
Here for the gear
Dynaudio BM15 all the way!
Old 25th May 2016
I mixed on Dynaudio BM15A for over a year, and they are good monitors but with downsides inherent to the design. They're very big 2-way monitor, so the midrange is splitted between 24cm woofer and 0,28cm tweeter. They lack subtlety in the midrange. I can compare their sound to a good dynamic microphone, everything is there, but everything sounds kind of similar. Switching to good 3-way design (not necessarily more expensive) was ear opener, in my case it was Eve Audio SC307.
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

In the studio today with my BM15A's and another engineer's 1031's for a mix. Wow. The Genelecs are SOOO bright and brittle. I thought there was a snare being distorted, checked on the BM15A's, nope, just the way the Genelecs sound.
Old 28th May 2016
Lives for gear

I tested the 8050 and Dynaudios when I was shopping for some new monitors and blindly chose the Opals after reading reviews and the reviews were 100% right, there is no way I could pick the Dyns or 8050 after hearing the Opals. I now have the Opals and One15 and couldn't be happier personally.. YMMV

I don't work for Event or Amphion or any reseller

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search