The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rare Neve Mixer (Rick Rubin) Mixers (Analog)
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Rare Neve Mixer (Rick Rubin)

I have a chance to buy a NEVE 10x2 Stereo Line Mixer by Brent Averill in the next few hours.

Can anyone tell me more about this unit? I just called Brent Averill company on the phone and they said the unit is extremely rare (only about 5 made) and was discontinued because of some problems. Other than that, they said they know nothing about the unit. They also said they can't service it as it was made before they took over the company, yada yada.

Does anyone here know about this unit and can advise me if it's worth looking at?

also, it apparently says "rick rubin" on it. ummm?

the guy is asking $2000.

Either way, I am looking for an 8 channel mixer to record onto 1/2" tape and this came up...dont know if i should go check it out (it would take a few hours of my time to go out to look at it, and i have no way to really test it)
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
I have a chance to buy a NEVE 10x2 Stereo Line Mixer by Brent Averill in the next few hours.

Can anyone tell me more about this unit? I just called Brent Averill company on the phone and they said the unit is extremely rare (only about 5 made) and was discontinued because of some problems. Other than that, they said they know nothing about the unit. They also said they can't service it as it was made before they took over the company, yada yada.

Does anyone here know about this unit and can advise me if it's worth looking at?

also, it apparently says "rick rubin" on it. ummm?

the guy is asking $2000.

Either way, I am looking for an 8 channel mixer to record onto 1/2" tape and this came up...dont know if i should go check it out (it would take a few hours of my time to go out to look at it, and i have no way to really test it)
Hi

If you could post a picture it would help.

From your post I can't work out if it is a modified Neve console (like a Kelso) or something built from Neve bits.

The "some problems" is a red flag.

Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Neve 10 x 2 mixer

If I'm not mistaken that particular unit was mine...
I sold it to them about 8 or 9 years ago.
I ordered one of the first Brent & Co. made.
It was a basic 10 x 2 mixer
Had volume pan and one aux. all on pots.
Mutes were done by pulling out the volume pots.
One large stereo Pot for a master fader.
Could be linked to another one of these to make a 20 x 2 mixer.
It had original Neve output trannys on each output, and a separate power supply.
This was around way before any summing mixers hit the market.

Way back when I owned a Neotek Series III-C Console, I used to run 10 separate drum tracks into it, then taking the stereo mix back into a stereo submaster on my Neotek.
Loved what it did to the drums!

Anyhow,
Never had a problem with mine.
It was very simple, but sounded GREAT!
Actually, the only reason I sold it, was to help fund my purchase of my Aurora GTM-822 at the time.
Less channels, but much more flexibility and mixing options.

(small world ehh, Geoff)

Hope this helps?
If ya need anymore info...just ask I'm around.
Attached Thumbnails
Rare Neve Mixer (Rick Rubin)-brent-mixer.jpg  

Last edited by nobtwiddler; 8th February 2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: found a photo....
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Well,
So what happened, did you buy the mixer?
Old 9th February 2011
Just curious, Nobtwiddler, who did you sell it to back in the day? I talked to the guy who was selling this as well and didn't get a warm, fuzzy vibe.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Honestly I don't remember his name?
I do remember this, it was very important that the mixer got there by a certain date, as he and his partner were very insistent on this point.
They say they needed it for a very high profile clients mix the day it was supposed to arrive...(might have been Nine inch Nails ? I seem to remember)
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

Neve

Im the guy selling the mixer. it is not stolen. I legitamatly bought the locker along with other gear. this is the real deal.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Cool Jim..

Someone will get a great little mixer!

Good luck with the sale.
Old 25th February 2011
its a neve party

We all saw the post, and all got excited, but, given the lack of information, I'm not willing to take the risk. Someone will surely take the risk, and they will either be happy or bummed.

I do have an inverter for my car, though...hmmmm...it'd be pretty hard tho under the circumstances to tell how it actually SOUNDED. not just if it worked....
Old 25th February 2011
Here for the gear

you didnt ask to hear it. i can arrange for you to hear it. i guarantee the neve is fully functual. most of the people calling me are aparently looking for a 100,000 dollar plus console for 2,000 or less. ha ha good luck with that.
There isn't a better mixer for the money,
this is a genuine brent averil stereo line mixer Using NEVE Class A electronics. That ought to give you a clue what it sounds like. go to his website and look at the artists who use his products. the problem is qualified buyers, although a lot of people have asked about it no one yet has the cash.
artists who use brent averil neve gear and testify it to be the best...Rick Rubin, Slash, Aerosmith, Bootsy Collins, Snoop Dogg, Micheal Jackson, Dave Mustaine, Tom Petty, Van Halen, Steve Vai, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, 311, Etc...

http://baeaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=176&Itemid=212
Steve VaiEddie Van Halen

http://baeaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159&Itemid=241

the mixer is still for sale to qualified buyers
Old 25th February 2011
Here for the gear

Bootsy Brent Averil Neve Testimonial

YouTube - Bootsy Space Bass Solo
Have you ever got hit by a nice warm punch that funked your junk all up.
I was just screwing around with my BAE 1084 when it hit me, wonder what my Space Bass would sound like in this.
I plugged it in and the sound was so pure and natural I thought I was on stage in the Mothership. This thing sings with tone, punch, and straight up good solid sound that will stand out in a mix with loud drums and guitars.
She does have a sweet spot, and the funk founded it first, if you wanna run with the big dogs you gotta come off the porch. The BAE 1084 DI don't just funk around, pound for pound it has that funked up sound you've been droolin' for.
Don't take my funk for it, check it out, it's on the One!
Bootsy baby!!!

Testimonials
Old 25th February 2011
OCD
Gear Head

I may be interested in buying this unit if no one picks up on it first.
Old 27th February 2011
Here for the gear

Guys who use brent averil Neve gear

YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers with Bootsy Collins
Old 7th August 2011
Here for the gear

Ummm

So, just met this guy. Called him, drove out 2.5 hours out of the city to meet him. He's 45 minutes late to meet. Pulls out the unit, and it's not even close to how he described it on the phone. It's the BAE in the pic above, 10x2. On the phone, he would only tell me it was 10 channels, and said Neve, Class A on the front. Failed to say Brent Averill 10x2 line Mixer (Which is spelled out clearly on the front panel, failed to say anything else, only said "10 channel Neve Mixer." I asked - does it say anything else, anywhere else on the unit? He says: "No. That's it. Just Neve. It's 10 channels."

I say, liar.

Thanks for wasting my day with your bull****, asshole.

(BTW, only found this post while googling after he'd gone...)
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

yea, anyone who posts the way he did above sounds a bit suspect to say the least.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search