The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cranesong Spider, is it worth it?
Old 20th August 2002
Lives for gear

Well this IS the High End here at Gearslutz, so tell me is the
Cranesong Spider worth the moola? I'm wondering how it sounds against other pres, I know different. I think I might have a problem commiting to this many channels at this price. I think for what it does, to some it may be a real deal what with the Manley slam coming out at $6500 for 2 channels(retail?).
What are you using it for, drums, bass, guitar? What does it excel at? Do you like it better than your 1272,api,avalon, or milennia?
I sure do like those big green knobs!
Daniel
Old 20th August 2002
There is only one

i got a flamingo and the pres are bad as ****... they are my favorite flavors [with all the combinations of fat mode, normal, iron in and out... its got a LOT of range]. i would definately want to own 8 channels of them [and ADC and tape mode] in the spider. its a great deal. the spider is high up on my want list.

that manely slam i dont know about... i wont let manley gear anywhere near my recordings.
Old 20th August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
that manely slam i dont know about... i wont let manley gear anywhere near my recordings.
That strikes me as bizarre. My Manley stuff is all over my recordings and I love it. Same with my flamingo.

Whatever floats your notes I guess.

To each his tone.

Different racks for different tasks (ok stretchin' it now).
Old 21st August 2002
There is only one

how about different racks for different hacks?

im sure some people like what manley does to their tone... im just not a fan of what it does to mine.

either way, the spider is a HELLUVA deal.
Old 21st August 2002
Lives for gear

Respect Alpha.....Manley bites!

Not to diss thier ethos, engineering or damn sexy looks
But for me and my stuff its a bit too boring and polite. Others get major hardons for it but for me its a bit of a yawn fest.

I had Variable Mu and Matched pultecs.... Mu was cool but not worth the price of admission, 1/2 price yes! i would buy another but not at the outrageous prices they are here in Australia.

Pultecs were complete ****E!!!.... my mate makes way better ones IMHO.

Massive Passive is very good but the bottom end farts but beutiful top end sheen.

I dont know i guess i like to hear and feel the vibe... YMMV
give me behringer anyday baby..... this is a joke b4 u flame me all to hell!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 21st August 2002
High End Moderator

just got my Spider. It will go through it's paces during this and next week on electric guitar/bass, vocals and drums. I'll report back next week. On the quick tests I've done sofar (just playing not really recording) the Spider kicked major butt.

Manley: I love that Massive Passive, very smooth and subtle (sp) but yet effective. Most noticeable when you take it out of the chain after setting it up, you miss it instantly.
Old 21st August 2002
Lives for gear

The spider unit is just too damn expensive. It's difficult for me to say that about any one peice of gear, but $7,500 is too much for a peice of gear that doesn't have Eq (besides a lo cut filter) or compression. If the price comes down, I'll be the first in line.
Old 21st August 2002
Gear Maniac

For the pricepoint of the Spider, I would jump if:

1) there was not such a huge (2U) PSU - I know there is a need for this, I just hate PSU's as I often am mobile, same goes for the big ass box the Vintech units need.

2) if the unit had either a) Eq or b) compression rather than the internal mixer. I have an API 3124-M that I use for my minor analog summing needs, and simply wouldnt use the Spider's mixer very often.

I think that if Crane Song made a Spider Jr - that was only pre and a/d like a Digimax LT ( I have one basically cause I got it for $500 and it's super easy for live recordings, and when I track alot it works for tom mics and such) they would sell alot more, especially at a lower pricepoint.
Old 21st August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Respect Alpha
I've never been one to respect someone else just cos they have a teammate. fuuck Does he know you joined his team? heh

.....Manley bites![/B][/QUOTE]

Really? Because the two Manley pieces you mention liking are the ones I have. I find they don't suck at all. They just aren't right for all things. I also the have dual mono 40db pre, which I find kills on distorted electric guitar cabs! Of course, you have to drive the tubes and like the sound of driven tubes.

If you paid too much for a Mu, it is because you live in Australia. A good piece? Yes it is, I agree. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Massive Passive is very good but the bottom end farts but beutiful top end sheen.

That's easy. I know how to make the bottom end fart on it if I want to. I also know how to make it solid. The MP doesn't work the way most people expect an eq to.

I dont know i guess i like to hear and feel the vibe... YMMV

I'm not gonna say Manley is the only or the best way to pick up that vibe, just that I sure as hell can hear the vibe. I wouldn't diss Manley gear and then go on to say what I like about it though... so who knows.. it is a crazy world afterall.

Like I said before and aj so kindly expanded upon:

"Different racks for different hacks."
Old 21st August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Spider Jr

Quote:
Originally posted by JayCrouch
I think that if Crane Song made a Spider Jr - that was only pre and a/d like a Digimax LT ( I have one basically cause I got it for $500 and it's super easy for live recordings, and when I track alot it works for tom mics and such) they would sell alot more, especially at a lower pricepoint.
I talked to Dave Hill (Cranesong) long ago about the Spider, long before the unit ever hit the market. I'm with you on the pricepoint (but only because I can't afford the Spider right now), and he mentioned that they might make a 4 channel version (The Flea?? ). I know you don't need the mixer part, but for many others, a 4 ch. unit with a/d would be very cool indeed. IAE, I have yet to meet a Cranesong piece I didn't love.

Anyone tried using this as a summing mixer (somewhat like D2B, although less channels) for the back end of a DAW? It would require lots of submixes routed to it, or a few Spiders, but I bet it would kick serious ass.
Old 21st August 2002
There is only one

how is $7500 high for

8! channels of CRANE SONG [possibly the BEST pres on the market]

8! crane song convertors

8! crane song tape emulators

just the 8 channels of pres and ADC's is certainly worth $7500

as for the power supply. for remote stuff, i could see the hassle... but the bigger the better i always say with power supplies.
Old 21st August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Don't forget.. those 8 preamps also go FAT!

I would only miss the IRON in my flamingo until I turned it on again.heh IRON would be another killer addition to the Spider, but I don't know how Dave Hill could fit another feature into it without adding a rackspace.
Old 21st August 2002
Quote:
how is $7500 high for

8! channels of CRANE SONG [possibly the BEST pres on the market]

8! crane song convertors

8! crane song tape emulators

just the 8 channels of pres and ADC's is certainly worth $7500
It's worth noting two things:

You actually get 10 channels of ADC (including the stereo out)

8 channels of Flamingo (basically the same thing) would retail at $12,500.

10 channels of Hedd-192 (again - similar) would retail at $17,475...
Old 21st August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

One more thing included is Cranesong Dither. Hey, it didn't have to be included!

Cripes what a deal!:eek:
Old 21st August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: Spider Jr

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Anyone tried using this as a summing mixer (somewhat like D2B, although less channels) for the back end of a DAW? It would require lots of submixes routed to it, or a few Spiders, but I bet it would kick serious ass.
Oops, wait. Can Spiders be linked? That might be the only way to get, say, 24 channels (DROOOL) of them summed to a stereo mix on one.
Old 21st August 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood

Yeah, that stuff would be too expensive as well. I thought about buying a Studer Valve when they first came out too... A purchase I'm glad I didn't make now. The spider IS a cool box, but I don't see a need for 10 channels of Hedd, and the analog dither thing, well, just about every studio I work in has an analog tape machine. I could use it as an insert and get a real tape machine, not emulated. And why not just use the $30 cd they sell? If I was doing remote stuff, it might be worth it, but then again, I'd kinda like a headphone jack on the front so I could monitor. 88.2K? What's that all about? While the mic pre's are similar, I do not believe that they are as good quality as the flamingo (I have not confirmed this, but seems to be the word in the grapevine) Adat lightpipe out? I'd like to opt out of this option & save a few bucks, as I pray that the Adat format dies at the fastest possible rate.
Old 22nd August 2002
Gear Maniac

I see Mlan/Firewire port in the future

Now if only Dave Hill would team up with PMI and mass produce this thing in China and cut the price in half...

Old 22nd August 2002
Gear Maniac

Sorry if some misread my thoughts in reguard to the the Spider was worth it's asking price....

Product for the dollar, the Spider really is an amazing deal. Just more me at the moment at what I need, it's too much money for me - in an area where I have a few good things that bring up to the category of "the point of diminishing returns"....

Don't get me wrong, I'd really love to own a crane soug peice - even just a 2-channel flamingo/HEDD combo if there was one.

I recently canceled an order I had put in w/ Apogee in hopes for a mini-me, In hopes to rather score a 2nd hand HEDD later on down the line....

viva green knobs....
Old 22nd August 2002
Lives for gear

This seems more like a "Studio purchase" than an "engineer purchase"... IMO I wish I had one, I just don't wish to spend that much on one.
Old 23rd August 2002
Lives for gear
Is it verbotten to talk prices on here? I saw the spider for $6000 what are you guys seeing it for? Thats alot of money and I'm not sure it is the same thing as getting 8flamingos and hedds but most of the guys that have em seem to love em, so I gotta sell some stuff I guess
Daniel
Old 23rd August 2002
Lives for gear

$6,500 at merch audio...

Be careful too... I hear there are some older versions out there. If you bought a used car at this price, you'd test drive it first right?
Old 23rd August 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood

are you positive? i thought that 2 of the 8 channels were "taken" if you ran stereo bussing... if its true, than its all the better deal. i WANT one.

i would miss the iron switch but then again, i have a flamingo
Old 23rd August 2002
Lives for gear
Yeah, I'd love to hear one first but for me I really gotta use it in the heat of battle to tell if I like it. You're right, you gotta watch em, some of these dealers do things that I would never do selling my used gear on e-bay. I wonder how they stay in business?
Daniel
Old 25th August 2002
member no 666

Re: Re: Spider Jr

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Can Spiders be linked?
In the works... as will be a D/A, and some other fun options...
Old 25th August 2002
Gear Maniac

"In the works... as will be a D/A, and some other fun options..."

MLAN!!!
Old 26th August 2002
member no 666

Quote:
are you positive? i thought that 2 of the 8 channels were "taken" if you ran stereo bussing...
There are 8 discrete digital outs for each of the 8 input channels... each can be switched pre or post the channel fader. The channel fader can/will still feed the '2 buss' if so assigned, so you can indeed have 10 digital outputs if you so desire.

Recently, I cut some guitars with it... I had 3 mics up on a 4x 12" guitar cabinet... I was pretty sure I had the balance I wanted [but the artiste didn't want to "commit"], so I laid the balance [from the 2 buss] to a track, and each of the mics individually to 3 other tracks. The 'artiste' will have all the options he could possibly desire when it comes to mixing this thing... he can use my balance, or any of the 3 mics individually... or in any combination he chooses...,
Old 26th August 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Spider Link

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

In the works... as will be a D/A, and some other fun options...
Here's the email reply I got from Cranesong. It's not clear whether the link option is ready now or in the works. Did they tell you something more distinct?

"From: "Scott A. Lillo" <[email protected]> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
To: "Jackson Burks" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:22:07 -0700
Subject: Re: Spiders Linkable?

Hello Mr. Jackson Burks,

YES!!! The Spiders are linkable.

Here's a little FYI for you also; The outboard power supply for the
Spider was designed to be able to power two Spider units at once.
The power supply has a connector (two connectors really) to do this
function.

So I hope that answers your question and a little bit more
information.

Thank you for your questions and time.

Scott"
Old 27th August 2002
Gear Addict

Don't hate me....I just found one used for $5400.

But even for $6.5k it is an amazing deal. Having heard the flamingo I believe it is the same circuit. You just can't fit 8 transformers in the rack, hence there is no iron switch. The preamps are huge and open...the converters contribute to that sound too i am sure. It is a big productivity boost to have them both right there together.

Gotta tell you tho, the tape emulation just takes the cake tho. Being able to dial it in on individual tracks transforms the whole mix. First overheads I have recorded to digital that made me giggle with delight.

-Imagine $500 per channel of preamps. (You'd pay more for these..)
-8 channels of converters $2k (Lucids 48k version goes for this, ....and these are far better than the Lucids)
-Tape emulation $400 (McDSP analog channel comes to mind, but the Spider emulation is FAR better.)

SO there is your $6.5k used wisely right there. and you still get their amazing dither, and a mixer with 2 more channels of 96k converters with tape emu.
Old 28th August 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
In one word: absolutely!

Used the spider on overheads, toms, hat, guitar (el) hat and vocals and it is great for each source. The cool part is that it can be absolutely clean or you can add any variation of dirt (harmonic distortion) with the "fat" button or the tape settings. Great mic pres, great converters, great mixer. The external PS is a bit anoying, but when you peak through the holes in the top you can see that you can't even fit a picture of a transformer inside the Spider. One quirk: the cable between the powersupply and the unit could be a little longer. The sound is A1+, and IMO well worth the money.
Old 28th August 2002
So....... are you keeping spiders now then Michael?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search