The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KM84? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Neumann KM84?

Any other SDC mic sounds similar to the Neumann KM84?
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Guru

On what source?

Yeah, there are mics that sound pretty close - here's a thread where I intercut between an 84 and modded 012 on Ac Gtr.

Listen and draw your own conclusions, but I made the clip, and I couldn't hear the crossing points. Neither could the guitarist. Guys with spectrum analyzers got pretty close. heh Still didn't nail it though.

Overall, there's really nothing that clones an 84. Just variations thereof. I'm keeping my 84's but my fav modern mic similar to an 84 is the MJ modded 012. I'd call it a "modern" 84. A bigger bottom, and a little more air or cut up top, and quieter. Really love it with the OMNI caps.
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Nut

CM84.

Hi Guys, we are developing an exact KM84 re-issue. The capsules will have the same thread size as the original and you will be able to buy replacement capsules for about $75.

We will have the first proto-type of our CM84 by late spring.

Cheers, Dave

Advanced Audio Microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattioliCo View Post
Old 6th February 2011
Baz
Lives for gear

This is interesting news, Dave and I'd love the opportunity to try one up against my 84. I've wanted to pair this mic up for quite sometime but the prices these things are commanding...

While very good in their own right, I sure hope the CM84 recreates the KM84's top end more accurately than the CM54 which I found to be a little to bright and even a bit brittle by comparison

Please email me when they're available. Maybe the guys @ Bakerstreet will have one and I could even do a direct comparison there?

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaudio View Post
Hi Guys, we are developing an exact KM84 re-issue. The capsules will have the same thread size as the original and you will be able to buy replacement capsules for about $75.

Cheers, Dave

Old 6th February 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
My experience has been lots of SDCs sound similar to an 84 on a few sources. Nothing else I've heard sounds as reliably good on all sources. You can simply set up an 84 in a shock mount and only worry about other stuff.
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Chameleon Labs TS-1
http://www.chameleonlabs.com/product10.htm bottom of page listen to the examples

I own this mic and love it
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers, Dave

Are there any audio samples of your mics on your site?
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My experience has been lots of SDCs sound similar to an 84 on a few sources. Nothing else I've heard sounds as reliably good on all sources. You can simply set up an 84 in a shock mount and only worry about other stuff.
Good point. It proves that there are many factors which make a microphone world-class.
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Guys, we are developing an exact KM84 re-issue.
Whew, that's quite a task. For your sake and mine, I hope you succeed. It won't be easy to truly recreate a KM84.
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
In that vein, the Mercenary KM69 is well-liked.
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
It won't be easy to truly recreate a KM84.
Indeed. Looking forward to shooting it out against some KM84's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
In that vein, the Mercenary KM69 is well-liked.
By SOME.....heh....but it's not a KM84.
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

I love KM84 for accoustic guitar.

I think kel HM-3C is pretty close.
I don't own one but from what I hear on the web sample.
Kel Audio -- Sound Samples
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

just bought a sequential pair of vintage km84's... on their way from berlin as I type.

Old 7th February 2011
Gear Guru
Better than

The Haun MBHO K200 capsule with your choice of their traffo or not preamp body is right up there with the 84 in many respects. I use it instead of my pristine 84's when i want a little extra clarity. The off axis response and stereo imaging is similarly impeccable.
Real German mics. Available new for a reasonable price.
Strangely unknown.

DD
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The KM184's sound pretty dang close...

I did a split comparison here:

KM84i vs KM184 - Quick Blind Test!
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
The KM184's sound pretty dang close...
Not very close to the KM84s I'm familiar with.
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I've wanted to pair this mic up for quite sometime but the prices these things are commanding...
Just curious about this. I've seen many mentions of the high price of KM-84's. Yet, as far as I've been able to gather, they've generally been selling in the $1,000 range, give or take a couple of hundred. Since Schoeps and other high-quality SDC's sell for substantially more, why would that seem an exorbitant sum for such a universally loved mic?
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

just about every other SDC sounds "similar" to a km84, but only a km84 sounds "like" a km84.

If thats what you really want then buy one, they are not made of solid gold, they are available for sale at various dealers and ebay, dealers for a bit more $ but safer, and ebay if you want to play the game. I just looked and there are 9 on ebay right now, 2 for just over $1000 each.
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

km86 in cardioid
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Maniac

I particularly never heard a KM84 or KM184 so I got curious.
Piano and acoustic guitars come to my mind as far as sources..

We have AKG 451eb, C460, C480 and Shure SM81 (older version)
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
just about every other SDC sounds "similar" to a km84, but only a km84 sounds "like" a km84.

If thats what you really want then buy one, they are not made of solid gold, they are available for sale at various dealers and ebay, dealers for a bit more $ but safer, and ebay if you want to play the game. I just looked and there are 9 on ebay right now, 2 for just over $1000 each.
For vintage mics I'd avoid eBay, the dumping grounds for internally damaged and non-original mics.

Vintage King had two 84s last week, both in the $1,600 - 1,700 range. THEM I would trust.
Old 7th February 2011
Motown legend

KM-84s are totally repairable by Neumann and even the case is a replacement part. I would be skeptical of one that looks too clean.

KM-184s can be very sensitive to RFI which creates a high frequency glare. An isolation transformer can work wonders!
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Beesneez lulu fet. Done deal.
Old 7th June 2014
Jai guru deva om

Well, I know this is an old thread bump but while it's bumped...we recently did this head to head comparison of the Neumann KM84 (my personal mics) and the Neumann KM184, Peluso P84 and AMI F44.

Old 7th June 2014
Gear Guru

Michael joly modded 012's here as well. Very nice and as close as i can get to km84's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search