The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Production workshop
Old 28th July 2003
High End Moderator

Production workshop

Lately I have been getting tons of emails with questions about recording/mixing techniques. That made me think of a low $ recording/mixing/production workshop at WireWorld. If anybody is interested in such a workshop email me at mwagener at comcast.net

Last edited by mwagener; 26th February 2006 at 05:33 PM..
Old 30th July 2003
Gear interested

Great idea!

Great idea! I think seeing from the response of the NAMM BBQ out there that it would be a blast! I'm there. Do you know when we'll do it?

Can't wait!!

John
Old 30th July 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

I'm in!

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 31st July 2003
tee
Gear nut

Michael,
I'd be real interested, it be a bit of a haul from Pa. , but I could use a mini vacation ........ and I'm sure it'd be a blast and an eye-opener. Keep us posted.

Peace,

Tony
Old 31st July 2003
Sounds a great idea...

Perhaps direct folks all to the same hotel nearby... so they could have Gearslut breakfasts and post session drinks!

Old 1st August 2003
Gear nut

I'm only coming if I can jam with Wolf!

Hey Jules whats with that new pic, I didnt think Nosferatu could go out in daylight!
Old 1st August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Sneap
I didnt think Nosferatu could go out in daylight!

from now on he shall be known as THE DAYWALKER.
Old 1st August 2003
Vot do mean DAYlight, I kant see any-sinc!

As long as I have the 'full black out shades" and stand in a box of earth from 'the old country' I am fine...
Old 1st August 2003
High End Moderator

Jules said it would be ok to post some details about the recording/mixing workshops at WireWorld.

At this time there will be two workshops with a possible third at a later date:
ONE from August 16th (Saturday) through August 24th (Sunday)
TWO from September 13th (Saturday) through September 21st (Sunday)
THREE tba.

Each workshop should have a minimum attendance of 5 people and a maximum of 7.

We are recording and mixing one song (Rock genre) with a local band, great musicians. I might be able to bring in a celebrity guest musician, but that’s still up in the air.

We probably start around 10:00 AM with an open end in the evening, break for lunch and dinner. The schedule looks something like this:

day 1 – There should be a short discussion about how we think the song should be approached sound wise and production wise, before we start getting into sounds. Of course the band should have a say in this as well, it’s their music after all. Then mic selection, preamp selection, mic placement and acoustic room treatment for the drums, getting drum sounds. The goal for that day would be to finish getting drum sounds and everybody takes home a ruff CD for evaluation in their cars, home stereos etc.

day 2 - we fix the drum sound that we thought was so cool last night. Then, tracking drums, tear down drums, set up for bass, including mic / DI selection, preamp selection, compression, phase between DI and mics, tracking bass, tear down bass.

day 3 - set up for guitar and vocals, mic / pre / comp selection etc. tracking guitars then lead vocals, comp lead vocals.

day 4 – fix the comped lead vocal track if necessary, then tracking for all other overdubs; backing vocals, percussion, keyboards etc., ruff mix to take home.

day 5 – Last minute fixes, then set up for mix, mix planning, connecting outboard, re-amping etc.

day 6 through 10 - Mix. Everybody will be hands on mixing. You can download pdf manuals for the Sony DMX R-100 HERE
Also, during the mixing sessions mastering engineer Eric Conn from Independent Mastering in Nashville will stop by to give us some pointers on what to do or not to do to prepare for a smooth mastering session.

The cost will be $ 1,500.00 per person. That does NOT include travel, hotel or food. It DOES include everything we need to get the song recorded and mixed (hard drives, CDs etc.) I might be able to get a group rate at a Sleep Inn about 5 miles from the studio, still checking on that. I also have contacted a few manufacturers so we can maybe get some extra units that I don't have. Everybody is welcome to bring their own microphones. Contact me for a WireWorld mic list to see what I’m missing.
Also, bring your still cameras if you like. I prefer not to have the workshop conversations shot on video for the obvious reasons. Video of the setups etc. is fine.

There might be a few giveaways (microphones, headphones), still working on that. I'm also trying to get some local celebrities for a Q/A hour (or two). No warranties about any of that yet, just trying to make it as interesting as possible.

Obviously I need to get the August workshop confirmed as soon as possible, so, if you’re interested, please call me at (615) 883 2507 (leave a message if I’m not there) or email me at mwagener@comcast.net , there are still a couple of August spots open. September is filling up quick too.

Let’s make some music...
Old 1st August 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Sneap
I'm only coming if I can jam with Wolf! ...
That might happen...
Old 3rd August 2003
High End Moderator

still a couple of spots available for August
Old 3rd August 2003
Lives for gear

too expensive for me

have fun
Old 3rd August 2003
Gear nut

Hey Michael,
I'd definately pop over if I was in Atlanta but I'm stuck back in the UK trying to finish 3 projects at the mo.

Next time I'm doing some Fozzy stuff I'll drop you a line, what is it about a 3 & a half hour drive from there...bit longer?. It'd be nice to say hello to everyone at the ranch anyway. We've bought a pretty similar place over here , we're just putting the studio into the barn conversion , hopefully complete by October.

Hope all is well
Andy

Did you ever hear Rolands album??
Old 4th August 2003
High End Moderator

Yep, about 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta.

Nope, just heard one song from Masterplan, sounded great. Note to self: go buy Masterplan album..."
Old 7th August 2003
High End Moderator

a little update:

Fletcher was so cool to provide us with:
Al Smart C2
CraneSong STC-8
API 2500
Drawmer 1969
Pendulum ES-8
for the workshops in August and September. Add to that the stereo Atomic Squeeze box that Innertube Audio provided and the stuff I already have and we'll be in for some major shootout for stereo bus compressors.

Chandler is sending out the LTD-1 and LTD-2 (I got the TG-1 and TG-2 already) and hopefully a little surprise for the September workshop. Also, Shure is dropping off some mics for the workshop. Royer is providing us with a pair of 122s to compliment the two 121s and SF-12 I already have.

I'm still working on getting a Neumann digital mic in as well.

Looks like we're pretty much covered, that stuff will keep us busy for a while.

Still got a couple of spots for August open.
Old 9th August 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Sounds like fun, Michael! Great idea, wish I could come!

Jon
Old 9th August 2003
Gear nut

hey Michael

count me in for September

is Fletcher going to be at the workshop?
he told me that i could keep the Crane Song if i want it to,

what about the secret invite?
anyone that i know?,

it sounds very exciting
i can finally play with all those toys and decide what to get next

hey Fletcher
any special rates for the workshop guys,

see you soon amigo
oh darn, Beach this weekend,

regards,
Charles
Old 9th August 2003
Lives for gear

Would luv to go but it's a bit expensive especially for a Gearslut who always needs the extra cash to buy an extra Distressor or somthing.

Is this the final pricing or working out the details...?
Old 9th August 2003
Lives for gear

I highly suggest someone videotapes it.
Old 9th August 2003
Gear nut

hi ecue

that's exactly what i'm planning to do,

it always help to have it as reference
since it's going to be a data overload for me

later,
C
Old 9th August 2003
Gear nut

don't forget to get the slutz shirts guys!

later,
C
Old 10th August 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I highly suggest someone videotapes it.
I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with that. tutt
Besides it would be about $ 1,000 in blank videotapes to cover everything.
Old 10th August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with that. tutt
Besides it would be about $ 1,000 in blank videotapes to cover everything.
Hmm, I think E-Cue said this cuz on page one of this thread, you mentioned that people could bring cameras and video cams...
Old 10th August 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The MPCist
Hmm, I think E-Cue said this cuz on page one of this thread, you mentioned that people could bring cameras and video cams...
Sorry, my mistake, I corrected it, thanks for pointing that out

Quote:
Also, bring your still cameras if you like. I prefer not to have the workshop conversations shot on video for the obvious reasons. Video of the setups etc. is fine.
Thank you for your understanding
Old 11th August 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by The MPCist
Would luv to go but it's a bit expensive especially for a Gearslut who always needs the extra cash to buy an extra Distressor or somthing.

Is this the final pricing or working out the details...?
Enjoy the luxury of taking things like this for granted. This kind of hands on training with a pro is impossible where I live. I'd consider travelling from Ireland for such a thing if I wasn't getting married in September.

I'm holding out for a distressor too but you know what they say, teach a man to fish.....

Knowledge is key to good recordings/mixes, the next piece of gear you buy will not deliver you to your destination. If I sound pissed off I guess I am, moaning about the price of something like this annoys me.

Best of luck Micheal with the course,
cheers,
Ruairi
Old 11th August 2003
Lives for gear

You can't get this in college...

I must agree, sort of....I am not pissed about it, but I am sad for MPCist that he's missing a golden opportunity.

This is an opportunity for an absolutely priceless experience.
If I could get up there this year for either (or both) sessions, I would have.

Of course, I am not begging for his price to go UP, but you get my drift.

FWIW
Michael has Distressors and a Fatso, too.
He's got pretty much everything that would be on anyone's wish list and then some...maybe even two of 'em!!!

He's got more practical recording experience in his pinky that I'll probably ever have and I am sick to my stomach that I can't attend.......hopefully some other time!!!
Old 12th August 2003
High End Moderator

Wow, thanx for all the nice words

This workshop thing is going nuts. Even though there are only a few participants for August (the scheduling didn't work out for everybody), September already has 12 possible guests. Looks like I might have to start planing on number 3 (Maybe September 27th through October 5th?).

I emailed MPCist and told him about the possibility of shorter/cheaper workshops in the future. What I am thinking of is long weekends (my girlfriend is going to kill me...), Friday through Monday (4 days) but then split up into recording and mixing on different weekends. That might be more affordable, financially and timewise. Also, what about the possibility of a "get-out-of-the-box" ProTools mixing session, where people bring their PT files and we mix them together at WireWorld, outside of the DAW. Waddaya think?

As I mentioned above, Fletcher is helping out with a truckload full of compressors for the August and September sessions and it looks like we might have a Manley SLAM available as well. Even though one of these compressors will most likely make the permanent WireWorld equipment list, this will be a special bonus for these two first workshops.

Looks like we'll have some fun at the gear-fest.
Old 15th August 2003
Gear interested

Has anyone picked a hotel for the September Workshop yet?

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

JK
Old 16th August 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener

Looks like we'll have some fun at the gear-fest.
You wanna borrow a few more compressors? I may have some that neither you nor Fletcher will have handy. Not that THAT means anything - but it's more stuff to play with...
Old 16th August 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
You wanna borrow a few more compressors? I may have some that neither you nor Fletcher will have handy. Not that THAT means anything - but it's more stuff to play with...
Bring 'em on. Here is what we got so far:

Al Smart C2
CraneSong STC-8
API 2500
Drawmer 1969
Pendulum ES-8
Manley SLAM
InnerTube Atomic Squeezebox (stereo)
Chandler LTD-1
CraneSong Trakker (pair)
dBx 160VU (pair)
Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso
Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor (pair)
Chandler Limited EMI Tg12413 (TG-1)
Quad Eight QE (stereo)
Summit TLA-100 (pair)
TC Finalizer 96k
TC Triple-C stereo
Valley People Dynamite
FMR audio RNC 1773
Barth Dynaset
Eventide DSP 4000
Kurzweil KSP 8 (various)
TC M6000 (various)

That will keep us busy for at least 15 minutes
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search