The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choices of Mic Pres for Manley Ref C Channel Strips
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

I almost always use a V76 with the Ref C, the old school vibe of the Tele paired with the modern hi end of the Manley is pretty great most of the time.

1073/1081 always works too.
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I use both, the BAE 1073MPF and the Chandler TG-2 with the Ref C. For Hip Hop, the 1073 hands-down and the TG-2 for Pop and R&B.

Also, since you made reference to Max Martin, Benny Blanco, and Dr. Luke, they all use the Chandler TG-2/channel as their go-to pre for the Ref C.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've used the RefC on vocals since 2005. I used to use the TG-2 with great results. Since 2007 I have used the A-Designs P1 with the Manley 99% of the time. It's very similar to the TG-2 but more fluid sounding. The TG-2 sounds a bit dry next to the P1, but very similar overall. I've yet to find a pre for vocals that I like better. Even the Pacifica was not nearly as good.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

If I already had a Sony C800, my next mic would not have been a Card Ref, which to my ears is a very bright mic as well. With that said, I still appreciate what it is and know that many hits have been captured with it from Backstreet to Britney to even Maroon 5. If I were you, I'd grab a Mercury m72s, then follow it with either an 1176 or Distressor(something fast), then after that a Mercury EQH1. That chain is jaw-dropping...
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks all so far.
Any thoughts for a Thermionic Rooster along with the Manley. I am thinking of doing a test.
Generally, I love the Sony and the Manley is great too. They are very different to my ears, although compared to other great mics, can be classified as being similar/high etc. I got it for that reason so I have another 'pop' mic that is modern sounding.
Would love more thoughts!
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Addict

Vintech X73, Wunder PEQ1/2, BAE 1073, etc...
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Nut

I've just got the Manley Ref C and use it with a BAE 1073MPF thru a Retro 176 and it's AMAZING for both pop and rock stuff. Full,clear, detailed, super fat, and just sounds like a record. It kills with this chain on acoustic guitars too.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchemistry View Post
I've just got the Manley Ref C and use it with a BAE 1073MPF thru a Retro 176 and it's AMAZING for both pop and rock stuff. Full,clear, detailed, super fat, and just sounds like a record. It kills with this chain on acoustic guitars too.
This is almost the same chain as me, except, I am using a Distressor instead of a Retro 176.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Get those sovtec tubes out of that mics and invest in some nos tubes. I put an amperex and a telefunken in an innertube u87. I had to buy new pants.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Imo with singers that come in, you can't go wrong with TG2, Aurora gtq2 (the hands down best recording I've ever done on rnb usher type), bae (best on Beyoncé type singers), p1 best on singers who have "ess" issues, api sounds like a mix of neve and the p1. Good all arounder. The thing is, more often than not a tube change is going to be the move, on my voice it wasn't but on everybody else it is. The reference C is the most pre dependent and tube dependent mic, the difference in pres are huge

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search