The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMI/Tabfunkenwerk U47 mic kit,anyone else bought? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

AMI/Tabfunkenwerk U47 mic kit,anyone else bought?

I was fortunate to have an artist hire me to write and record some songs in exchange for someone in his family paying for this kit and a Thiersch capsule(M7) and AMI psu for a U47. I have not finished assembling this mic and have to get a coworker to solder it for me since I recently lost my tech. Wondering if anyone else got this kit and is using their mic? For $900 it seemed like a great deal compared to what I would pay for a manufactured mic and, AMI supplies so many reputable mic builders I couldn't resist. Who is loving their AMI U47? Any suggestions?
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I am curious, what comes in the kit for $900?
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Oliver Archut U47-ish mic build
Not mine, wish it was

Matti
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Ami u47

The kit includes the entire mic body/headbasket and connector to a 7 pin mic cable, as well as the much heralded Tabfunkenwerk BV8R transformer. If I recall correctly Oliver threw in a tube for the mic as well, could be wrong though, have to double-check......visit ami tabfunkenwerks website, the link above seems like he performed a bit more than what is really required.
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Guru

I'd sure love to hear from anyone who's built or used one. There doesn't seem to be many in service at this point yet.....
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Link above

Matti
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Guru

Saw that. Nice build notes. And virtually nothing about how it sounded. Has anyone USED the mic - you know, put it in front of talent?
Old 4th February 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Sweet! How long has this been available? I wonder how it compares to the FLEA kit.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

Man this looks so tempting ! But the console is in pieces, need to build stands for the Ampex 2 track & 8 track , there's also a VP26 that needs to be finished, a PSU that needs new Caps! A ton of Patchbays !

Yeah I need another project !!

But it looks so cool!
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

i think this is the same kit as the FLEA u47 diy... just rebranded?
looks a lot like it. FLEA are pretty much the only guys manufacturing this kind of stuff.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of differences inside between FLEA / AMI

Matti
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Lots of differences inside between FLEA / AMI

Matti
not really...they seem to be exactly the same. which is no suprise since there is no other manufacturer for u47 bodies than flea. please let me know if im wrong. but im pretty sure im not. this is certainly not an in house tab telefunken product.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Nut

No. These are not made by Flea. He doesn't need to. He makes his own mics.
Old 5th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
not really...they seem to be exactly the same. which is no suprise since there is no other manufacturer for u47 bodies than flea. please let me know if im wrong. but im pretty sure im not. this is certainly not an in house tab telefunken product.
The AMI mic kits are not made by Flea. All of the parts were sourced or made by AMI. They may look similar because both companies used historic Neumann U47 mic parts as the basis for measurements, material selection, construction and finish.

Sincerely,

Joe Hauck
AMI, Inc.
Old 2nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone bought and built this Mic kit since?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search