old plate reverbs
Old 7th September 2015
2015: A New Pluto Plate Reverb

How about a Digitally Controlled one?

Pluto Plate Reverb - Home - Pluto Plate Reverb

Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

PlethoraTone Plates

Here the vintage pair I'm working on - no sonics to report on (yet), but we have great expectations!

Plethoratone Plates in transit:
Attached Thumbnails
old plate reverbs-plethoratone-plates.jpg  
Old 8th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
How about a Digitally Controlled one?

Pluto Plate Reverb - Home - Pluto Plate Reverb

I use these at Woolly Mammoth Studios where I sometimes track
and print them every time.
..cause they sound wicked pissah.. ; )

Seriously
Old 8th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
I use these at Woolly Mammoth Studios where I sometimes track
and print them every time.
..cause they sound wicked pissah.. ; )

Seriously
That bastid has TWO Pluto's!

And yea, print them every time!!!!!
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Head
I have an early one the metal plate is very thin . I do a lot of metal fab and have not seen this thin of metal.
The motor is inside too .
Most I have seen motor is mounted outside .
I was told by the seller it was a very early build.
I has the stereo upgrade and pick ups.
Pure magic. Some one post about how it sits in the mix very organic and I would have to agree. It seems to make everything way more plea sent to my ears .
Getting hard to find in good shape. Stay with the solid state stereo emt 140 unless your looking for a really old sound.
You will pay less for mono tube models.
Stereo solid state emt's sell for $3000-4500.
I'm in Southern California I searched for about 6 months till I found one.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for snowflakes

Short on Cash?

...There's also this option:
DIY Plate Reverb - Plans and Details
Old 8th September 2015
A year ago I got a beautiful tube EMT140 stereo from Vintage King in really good shape.

It sounds amazing, really theres no substitute for this. The best decision Ive ever made.

There's a lot of discussion about how plug ins are replacing old units like 480l, 224, etc, but IMHO in the specific case of the EMT, no plug in or external device can replace this warm, organic and lush sound.
It just sound perfect on vocals, strings, drums.

Everytime I use it on vocals I get nice comments about the sound from my clients.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for snowflakes

This might be of interest to some:
EMT Information
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

I just got an Ecoplate! Me and my clients are REALLY happier! As Armando (Del Cosmos ) said, there is no plugin substitute. It is like the difference between a midi piano and a real piano . It just blends in the mix.

Just working on the remote controller. The motor for the damper was burnt.

mmm and also improving on the electronics s/n ratio...
Old 24th March 2016
Good score Hans!

That Ecoplate is pure Magic.

Bruce Sweedien's favorite!
Old 5th March 2020
Here for the gear

Audicon Plate Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Good score Hans!

That Ecoplate is pure Magic.

Bruce Sweedien's favorite!
Glad that Bruce likes the.Ecoplate. Paid a visit to Studio Technologies in 79. The plate material was #203 stainless steel, about 1/32" thick as I recall.

On page one there is a mention of the Audicon Plate. I was service manager at Audio Consultants, Nashville MCI dealer 76-March 78. They hired Gene Lawson to make the plates for them &set up Audicon as a marketing co., for the plates.
Gene had also been copying & selling the original PZM mikes, before Crown bought the rights from Ken Wahrenbrock. In any event it was the Lawson plate, sold under the Audicon name. Gene had a specific 8" loudspeaker that had the proper magnetic structure he liked. The speaker would be destroyed & he would machine the gap to the correct dimension as a copy of the EMT driver assy.

I copied his pickup electronics on my own PCB's. The pickup was fed into a FET w an input impedance of 2.6 megs. The fet transformed it to 5k; which was fed into a Beyer mike transformer whose 10k output was fedto the input of aTLO 71, which drove a pair of buffer transistors giving an unbalanced output of+18dbm. I still have two of the pickup amplifier cards for $40- ea.
Old 6th March 2020
Lives for gear
What effect does the size of the plate have on the sound?

Does it have to be 8ft by 4ft (ish) if it’s made of steel?

Obviously the 240 is made of different materials but it is much smaller
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
What's everyone using for predelay?

I usually reach for some kinda digital delay like a PCM 41 or ADA thing, put that in front of the 'verb and use a mono send w/ a stereo return. It just washes & glues everything together so well...having a dedicated delay on the front is nice too.

nagra 4.2!
Old 7th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I usually reach for some kinda digital delay like a PCM 41 or ADA thing, put that in front of the 'verb and use a mono send w/ a stereo return. It just washes & glues everything together so well...having a dedicated delay on the front is nice too.
Studer A807
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
What effect does the size of the plate have on the sound?

Does it have to be 8ft by 4ft (ish) if it’s made of steel?

Obviously the 240 is made of different materials but it is much smaller
bump
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaperdida View Post
I'm glad to see this brought up as I've really been enjoying the old Chess records sound lately, especially on Bo Diddley's "Mona." I had assumed the reverb/echo-y sound on Bo Diddley's voice in that song was an echo-chamber, but given how much it costs to dig one out, it seems way more likely that what I'm hearing is a plate verb. Can anyone confirm this? If so, hopefully he/she can further comment as to the plate's make/model and what sort of metal was used for the plate itself?
Hi,

I think they had a echo-chamber...
One can use a tiled bathroom...

Best,
Tom
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
I bought an EMT 140 mono tube plate some years ago and never got to hear it yet.The tube amp is missing a part and I also wanted to make it stereo so I need another amp for it. I bought new stereo pickups and put them on.Does anyone know a good tube amp tech that could help me get this thing going and build me another amp for stereo?

Stace
Hi,

What part is missing?

Best,
Tom
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hi,

I like a Studer B67 as pre or post delay.

Best,
Tom
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
The Echoplate is an EMT 140 knock-off. We used to have one at my former New Orleans studio. It was OK. Not my thing though.

I forgot who made them. ..Studiotech, Studiotronic?
Hi,

Had one as well, not as good as a EMT 140...
Stocktronics.

Best,
Tom
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975api2488 View Post
I have an early one the metal plate is very thin . I do a lot of metal fab and have not seen this thin of metal.
The motor is inside too .
Most I have seen motor is mounted outside .
I was told by the seller it was a very early build.
I has the stereo upgrade and pick ups.
Pure magic. Some one post about how it sits in the mix very organic and I would have to agree. It seems to make everything way more plea sent to my ears .
Getting hard to find in good shape. Stay with the solid state stereo emt 140 unless your looking for a really old sound.
You will pay less for mono tube models.
Stereo solid state emt's sell for $3000-4500.
I'm in Southern California I searched for about 6 months till I found one.
Hi,

I've had them all, not too much difference to my ears,
as long as all the tubes are good and the electronics recapped.
Kept my tube one...

VK has one for sale 7K! Damn...

Best,
Tom
Old 11th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Jim Cunningham up in Chicago is a plate guru and if I'm not mistaken, he was the guy who made the Echoplate. He sells new, reinforced clips for the EMT 140's that make the plate tighter, thus it has a longer, brighter decay. However, you have to be very careful, as you can "over-stretch" the plate and then it will never ring true, so to speak. He has also torque wrenches for sale for proper tensioning. He's a really nice guy, has a lot of great info and can get those plates really up to snuff. Also, another gentleman in Chicago told me of several folks who have converted their plates to 5.1 with fabulous results.

BTW, to add insult to injury, I had two 140's given to me last summer... just had to make the trip and pick them up. They are models straight from the factory, directly flown in, without any of the "Americanization" done to them. Motors are on the inside... very rare. I know... what a jerk! (sorry...couldn't resist!) heh Also, I have recently purchased the Neve plate remotes that controls 2 plates with 1 remote. Trouble is, I don't know the pin-out configuration... anybody know how it should be wired?
Hi,

Congrats on da plates!
There's pinouts/connections on the 140 schematic. (140RK I believe)
You'll need the big Touchel's, expensive as they're used on the M49.

It took me awhile to get it to werk...

Best,
Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search