The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Distressors across the Stereo Buss. Bad Idea?
Old 27th July 2003
Gear Head

Distressors across the Stereo Buss. Bad Idea?

I´m probably going to sound like an ass. I love the sound of the Distressors so much I try and strap them across the stereo buss at every oppurtunity. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

I realise there is much coluorisation going on, but thats exactly what I like.

Is this a bad idea?
Old 27th July 2003
Lives for gear

If you like it who gives a flying ......
I have tried a lot of stuff on the 2 buss, some things works for some songs some do not.

At the moment I switch between the 2254's,fatso(buss) and PT sony comp. Or plain nothing..
I have a 1969 and find it a little flabby, funny I love it over teh drum sub...
Old 27th July 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Distressors across the Stereo Buss. Bad Idea?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2064
I´m probably going to sound like an ass. I love the sound of the Distressors so much I try and strap them across the stereo buss at every oppurtunity. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

I realise there is much coluorisation going on, but thats exactly what I like.

Is this a bad idea?
I'd say if it sounds the way you want it, then it is a good idea.

I've heard tons of mixes using VariMu, Fatso, 1969, 33609,etc that sounded really terrible. Why? The "operator" had no clue what he was doing. A friend of mine remixed a few songs with some mid-range gear and got better results.

Whatever works for ya.
Old 27th July 2003
Gear Head

Ok Dokey. Just that I cant recall seeing comments from users who use them on the stereo buss.

Well it works for me (sometimes).

Old 27th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 2064
Ok Dokey. Just that I cant recall seeing comments from users who use them on the stereo buss.

Well it works for me (sometimes).

Are you using the Stereo Link mod???

I haven't had a chance check it out yet. I tried 2 linked across a 2 mix in a pitch for a rough mix, and it's did me well.
Old 28th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I've strapped mine across and they have the Stereo Link mod (is it a mod? actually I bought them that way). Works for me! Especially using the LA2A, Fairchild 670, and 1176 settings as a starting point. Actually, I'm liking the 1176 most on bass tracks, bot occasionally over the whole mix. I'm still not done finding cool settings with these ****in things. I love em! Still, they're not always the best tool for the job as everyone is noting.

I've also found that linked Distressors can often sound great with a Vari-Mu following them, but they almost never sound right if the V-Mu is ahead of them. Something to do with the V-Mu's smoothing/gelling factor methinks.
Old 28th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I've strapped mine across and they have the Stereo Link mod (is it a mod? actually I bought them that way).
Most of the ones I see are sans "Stereo Imagine Link". They can be mod'ed. (sx'ed?) Seems to be helpful in this area.
Old 28th July 2003
Gear Head

e-cue
Quote:
Are you using the Stereo Link mod
I dont have the mod. Just doing it manually. I´ve tried a patch cord linking the 2 units but doesnt seem to do anything?

I have been a little concerned that I could get imaging problems but so far (on the tracks that work with it) its been fine. I dont go in for stuff flying about the all over the place in the mix.

Do i need to get the mod done?

PS. Query:
I think I read on this forum somehwere that all distressors settings are identical from one unit to the other. Mine are very different and it can be tricky to decide which one is telling the truth. Are Distressors supposed to be identical?
Old 28th July 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
I have a 1969 and find it a little flabby, funny I love it over teh drum sub...
Drum sub is certainly a viable application... though I find myself using the Smart C-2 in that application more often than the '69.

For the '69 on 2 buss I've found that 'attack 4' and 'release 1 or 5' [5 being "program dependent fast"] usually 'tightens' up a mix... but as always... YMMV
Old 28th July 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I liked my '69 the most on drum subs but I didn't buy it just for that - which is part of the reason I sold it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search