The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why NAGRA tape recorders are not used in studios? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
I think the folks at Trew Audio in Nashville and LA are still servicing the old Nagras. Or am I wrong?
Unfortunately, Trew stepped out of Nagra analog deck servicing about 3 months ago, so it's all on Doc now .
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs148 View Post
Unfortunately, Trew stepped out of Nagra analog deck servicing about 3 months ago, so it's all on Doc now .
This is not the case (at least of the California location). I have a IVs being serviced By Forrest Forbes in the Burbank location of Trew at this very moment.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
It depends what you mean.

The Nagra is the #1 location recorder, so it would not normally be used in a studio.

However, the Nagra T-Audio was definitely a studio recorder - probably the very best 2-channel analogue tape recorder ever.

I wish I had one.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
That was in 2011. John, would you still say that now?

Regards,

Ty Ford

BTW, the preamps in my Nagra 4.2 sound pretty swell.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Some of the best mic preamps ever made (in my opinion).

...And they come with a free tape recorder!

Hell, I'd even buy a "dead" Nagra (at a decent price) as long as the mic preamps were good.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
That was in 2011. John, would you still say that now?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Yes
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes
Its been more than a decade since I've seen an (analog) Nagra on any set.

(And even that was a low-budget project.)

Furthermore, the role of analog tape in a music studio is quite different these days from what it was (even a few years ago).

I'm not saying that this is all for the good; I'm just saying that that's the way it is.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Its been more than a decade since I've seen an (analog) Nagra on any set.

(And even that was a low-budget project.)

Furthermore, the role of analog tape in a music studio is quite different these days from what it was (even a few years ago).

I'm not saying that this is all for the good; I'm just saying that that's the way it is.
I have a digital Nagra VI - but would still love s a T-Audio, just for the beauty of it.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Guru
I wish I could afford a Nagra since I like stand alone recording. Was looking at the Sound Devices as an alternative. With the new MixPres and M series, that's what I went with. FWIW really cool unit the work arounds are ingenious which will be helped by the external control software they are developing. An old mechanical Nagra is a real work of art........
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a digital Nagra VI - but would still love s a T-Audio, just for the beauty of it.
Great machines, no doubt.

Perhaps even the best 2-track ever made.

One of my favorites (along with the Stephens).

...But there are NO MIC PREAMPS!
(I guess you can't have everything.)
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

is there anyone in eastern Canada who has a IV-S to rent?
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

I think I will sell my Nagra VI (red) at a reasonable price.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I think I will sell my Nagra VI (red) at a reasonable price.
No deal.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not the Nagra T-Audio, though. That has the best transport on the market.

I’d actually say the Nagra T was the machine that proved Nagra had to go Digital they didn’t sell well, cost a fortune and were as specific and intricate as Most Nagra Tape Machines were!

To people who keep asking why this or that or minus this or that on certain Nagra Models lets take the IV-S it was optioned as you bought it? Factory options existed. Simply a say “Broadcasting Corporation” might deem, 10 of these models to 10 of these and 10 of these within budget. Sure all units were fixable and it’s true when people say, they’re not coloured tape sounding machines they existed to record clean Audio synced to numerous sources, you’d pre-roll and have too slate and write down your takes. This would all be dumped back to an EDL machine where a Sound Supervisor to Film Mixer would await and log the tracks as given.

Great Boom and Sound Guys were never out of work, as Editors knew they’d capture dialogue to Atmosphere both seperate and literally every mistake to successful take, it certainly wasn’t unusual for someone Mixing to steal a word or line from a flunked take, and drop it in... creating no need for ADR or Looping! This meant less fees and all simply as someone was thinking “I’ll grab that it might be useful” the reason why you always keep rolling! 7” spools were something easily overcome with 10” spools. It is most true, those D Cell batteries weighted the machine to heavy proportions.

As to parts and Microphone preamps to everything included in the machine you’d buy discrete cards (discrete preamps) T-power to 48V to Dyn (Dynamic) line or Sync, pilot tone to SMPTE it was all optional. You’d order, fill in the form, Accounts approved it, you awaited.

Now they are the preservation of Audiophiles as to operation they so simple to use its a running joke! The modulometer throws people yet once mastered as in RTFM everything naturally falls into place.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

I think the 7" reels had a lot to do with it.
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear
Hey, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post

Now they are the preservation of Audiophiles as to operation they so simple to use its a running joke! The modulometer throws people yet once mastered as in RTFM everything naturally falls into place.
That's my arm you see in the second photo, standing next to my then-partner Dan Schmalle's Nagra-T/Bottlehead machine at one of the hifi shows, rewinding a Tape Project tape.

I also had a Nagra-T but sold it. They are pretty nice machines but not my favorite.

Also I once worked at a studio that attempted to use Nagra IV-S's as mixdown decks, influenced by the Dead-- Bear was using them for some of his live recordings. We eventually gave up because they were so impractical for that use--though they were unparalleled for their original purpose. Imagine a deck with a rewind speed that is slower than play speed. Quite a bit slower. The clients thought we were padding the bill!
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post
That would be my hand in the pocket next to my Nagra T in the lower of the two images.
Looking back through the thread now I see that Doc claims it's his arm in the photo.

Arm-wrestle for bragging rights?
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslam View Post
[...] Imagine a deck with a rewind speed that is slower than play speed. Quite a bit slower. The clients thought we were padding the bill!
If your IV-S was running that slowly upon rewind there was definitely something wrong with it!

Here's one running properly (starting at about :57 sec.):

(He does it again at 2:28 or so.)

Last edited by 12ax7; 17th October 2018 at 02:23 AM..
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Head

My IV-S has a pretty fast rewind.
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
If your IV-S was running that slowly upon rewind there was definitely something wrong with it!
You have your impressions and I have mine. My impressions are not based just on the two Nagra-IV-S's we had at the studio, I've used a couple dozen of them. As I said, I like them, but the rewind speed is comical if you're accustomed to studio machines. Especially with 10-1/2" reels.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have your impressions and I have mine. My impressions are not based just on the two Nagra-IV-S's we had at the studio, I've used a couple dozen of them. As I said, I like them, but the rewind speed is comical if you're accustomed to studio machines. Especially with 10-1/2" reels.
Well, I'll freely admit its not the fastest.

...Still a far cry from "slower than play speed. Quite a bit slower.".
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Looking back through the thread now I see that Doc claims it's his arm in the photo.

Arm-wrestle for bragging rights?
Paul, I think you and Dan were both staffing that room.
Old 9th March 2019
Here for the gear

I want to replace the TC heads in my Nagra IV-SL with wide track IV-S heads.

Doc B - I would appreciate it very much if I could get a line on those heads.

John Willitts - please give me contact details for your friend.
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Talking of Nagra Servicing ...

Afriend of mine in Sweden has recently bought all the analogue spare perts from the Swedish distributor and also Swedish Hroadcasting.

So he has loads of genuine new Nagra spare parts - including heads, pinch wheels, etc., etc., etc...

Give me a shout if you want the contact details.

I am looking for new 'wide track' Nagra IV-S heads to replace the TC heads in my IV-SL, please send me contact details. Thank you.
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Carumba View Post
I am looking for new 'wide track' Nagra IV-S heads to replace the TC heads in my IV-SL, please send me contact details. Thank you.
PM just sent with the details.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search