The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Proac Studio 100 : lack of low end Studio Monitors
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Proac Studio 100 : lack of low end

Hi all,

i'm new on this board, and i really love this forum. Ton of good tips and reviews. There's no equivalent in my country....

Currently i'm using the combo ProAc Studio 100 with Bryston 3B pro for 6 months. Globally i'm satisfied. I like the punch and the tightness of the bryston. The high end is well. But i have a serious lack on the low end. It starts around 80hz, and it's a REAL problem because i use to work on pop/electro/rock project, the low freqs are important. I know that the room treatment is important too, but i noticed that on every rooms (studio) i worked. Is it the Bryston ? Is it the Proac's ? Need more power ? My monitor section is sometimes an SPL MTC, sometimes an Audient console ASP8024 and sometimes an SSL 4k. I've good Gotham speaker cables.
Can you really hear the bottom end on your ProAc ?

Thanks all.
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

You probably should have posted this in the High End section. PM a mod and see if they can move the thread for you. There's a few guys there that use ProaAcs & Brystons regularly.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Yes thank you, i'll pm a mod. Sorry
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

I had the same issue and tried a few power amps; the issue persisted. At one point, using the speakers in another studio each with it's own amplifier, the low end was more present, but for myself I've settled on using a subwoofer with them.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

nearly everyone i know in nashville that uses the Proacs also uses a subwoofer.
(note: i did not say EVERYONE that uses proacs... just everyone i know... which is about 10 or so engineers.) FWIW.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, its not a very big box and not a very big woofer. At some point you run into physics. Boxes, particularly small ones often are ported to generate more bottom end. I had a conversation with Chuck Zwicky a while back about this. One of the great things about NS10's. . . .notice how they aren't ported? No weird lowend resonances. They aren't faking what isn't there. Anyway, I got rid of the 100's because I was tired of wrestling with the low end. A sub probably would've helped. I miss the speakers a good bit, but I couldn't afford to keep them and upgrade as well.

Get a sub or get different speakers if they are your only pair.

josh
Old 28th January 2011
I use a sub with my Pro Ac/Bryston 4BST combination. That being said, I've always felt the Pro Acs do a decent job at reproducing low end, especially when you consider the size of the woofer.

Aside from the fact that I've just gotten used to hearing Pro Acs with a sub, crossing them over and using a sub dramatically increases the life span of those woofers. Those little 6.5" drivers will try and put out 30Hz all day long until eventually they just begin to separate, which one of mine is doing right now. Not looking forward to the $400 I'm going to have to spend on a new one.
Old 28th January 2011
Here for the gear

Well, thanks all.
I'm not mad , it's a characteristic problem with the studio 100.
A sub is a solution, but i move a lot in different studio, it's complicated for me to bring the Bryston + Proacs + sub.... i need to buy a pick-up I've never worked with a sub, i think it's a bit dangerous...especially when he's not adjusted properly. I've bought the ProAcs because a lot of engineers around me said they were neutral, punchy, good qualities..etc..etc...i read some reviews from famous engineers...But in fact, i'm a little bit disappointed. ALso, it's very hard to find spare woofers. Maybe i'me gonna resell them...I don't know.
I've the opportunity to buy a pair of Event ASP8, are they good ?
I also have a pair of B&W 705 (friend's pair). They're not bad, i never work with them.
@EleKtriKaz : Which sub do you use with your proac ?
@bushwick : it's my only pair, that's the problem. except my B&W 705. I understand what you say about the ns10's....
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

I personally wouldn't give up so quickly. I'd definitely try a different amp. I tried 3 amps before I found one that gave me the balance I wanted. Tried an expensive Audio Research amp that was beautiful in the low end department but had no clarity. Then tried a custom amp that was a little light in the lows. Now I use an Adcom GFA-555 (heavily modified) and they are very balanced. The low end translates really well. The only area where I think its lacking is with synth instruments that are centered around 100 hz, (sub bass sounds and stuff).
Old 3rd June 2014
Yes, they are a bit bass shy...

I - personnaly - prefer to power them with a Quad 303. I know, I know, they require more power, etc, etc, but that's the best match I've found so far in my setup. They're also a bit too bright at 12 KHz. You need to learn them (like every other speakers), but when you know them, they can can translate beautifully!
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

Maybe try a sealed box speaker? All the smaller ones are generally bass why overall, but generally delve down deep and are tight/detailed in the low end...
Old 20th February 2016
ProAc Studio 100s with a sub

As Kingtone said, not everyone in Nashville pairs their Studio 100s with a sub; in fact, one of the top mixers there removed his $5k sub altogether, though he really chews through woofers and, at last count, had seventeen pair in a pile to have reconed.

I chose to pair mine with a KRK 12s to take some stress off of the woofers and extend the low end in my small control room.

Regarding the ~12K+ bump; I'm using Sonarworks Reference 3 for linear phase room correction, which smooths that, and other room anomalies, out nicely. I installed new tweeters, replaced a few months ago, which are still being broken in, so I'll shoot the room every few weeks until they stabilize.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search