The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FAVORITE SNARE? Studio Monitors
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

FAVORITE SNARE?

I've heard a lot of talk (maybe, mabye too much talk) about the
Ludwig Black Beauty... thoughts?

Also, what is YOUR favorite snare? I'm speaking about your
favorite for recording rock and pop specifically.

thanks for playing...

Rue
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Black Beauty is #1 for me. Also love old Gretsch snares!
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

marching snares..
15" x 12"
sweet
Old 31st January 2006
I had a Black Beauty that was a little too dry for my taste, but I have a '66 5x14 Supraphonic that kills - I replaced the standard Ludwig lugs w/tube lugs and put a new throw-off on and it plays perfectly.

That said, my fave these days is a 5.5x14 black iron Keplinger that Gregg made for me last year. It's fat and has the most incredible crack. Cross-sticks are also loud and cutting but warm, not brittle.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear
Bell brass all the way for heavy stuff. Craviotto's are really nice for wood snares. I like the wood snares that are super thick. Those Edge snares are cool too. I also like steel snares. I'm not very fond of regular brass. It's OK but my ears prefer even bronze, aluminum, or copper over regular brass.

Last edited by mltamisin; 31st January 2006 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: commas
Old 31st January 2006
Here for the gear

it's all about the black beauty. I've used a supraphonic from time to time and it was cool. I guess the bell brass could be cool but I never really got it to tune to what I was looking for. (and yes it's all pretty much heavier stuff)
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Supraphonics are cool...

Recently, I have been digging these birch snares that are 8" deep. Something about these deep birch snare(s) have really been working well in some recent recordings we've done. A drummer brought (2) different 8" birch snares in. One was an older Yamaha, and the other was made by Spaun. Both are amazing. So, we ordered a Spaun one for the studio. There seems to be a very consistant sound to birch (when its a deep shell at least). Great for hard rock.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

anyone know about orchestral snares?
Old 31st January 2006
Gear Maniac

As a rule, I will defer to the tastes of the drummer I'm recording, but for rock that's a little rough around the edges, I make a point of having the drummer at least try this $30 P.O.S. snare manufactured by Sunlite that I have. Just the most gloriously ****ty sound you've ever heard.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=84K]Supraphonics are cool...

Agreed I love those! Another vote for Supraphonics
Old 31st January 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Supraphonics are cool...

Recently, I have been digging these birch snares that are 8" deep. Something about these deep birch snare(s) have really been working well in some recent recordings we've done. A drummer brought (2) different 8" birch snares in. One was an older Yamaha, and the other was made by Spaun. Both are amazing. So, we ordered a Spaun one for the studio. There seems to be a very consistant sound to birch (when its a deep shell at least). Great for hard rock.
Tama Superstar 8" x 14" are super cool birch snare drums. Not too much cabbage on ebay either. Weird thing is they are all red or a ****ty dark brown colour. I have a cool old 14" x 8" 18ply Tama Artwood, maple I think. I like it better than my $1200 14" x 8" 18ply maple Ayotte. The Tama cost me $275 CDN and it kicks the **** out of that Ayotte. Go figure.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin
Bell brass all the way for heavy stuff. Craviotto's are really nice for wood snares.
Yeah, and yeah. Also... the DW 6.5X14 Copper is a cool drum. Super dry kinda 70's vibe. Craviotto just makes some incredible stuff. Also, I really really enjoy the Dunnett Steel and Titanium drums. They just absoulely fukking rock.
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Black Beauty here that I never use (anyone want to buy it you can) It's probably 10 years old (not optimum period) but it never knocks me out. OLD BBs are very nice. I hate piccolos. I have used the Yamaha Anton Fig and was liked it a lot . . . will probably buy one of those. I saw that someone likes old Gretsch snares . . . I have always liked their kits but never their snares . . . so as usual we all have different preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue
I've heard a lot of talk (maybe, mabye too much talk) about the
Ludwig Black Beauty... thoughts?

Also, what is YOUR favorite snare? I'm speaking about your
favorite for recording rock and pop specifically.

thanks for playing...

Rue
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear
I had a Sonor Sonic Plus birch snare that was 5 thick and it was absolutely amazing. Easily blows away this 6x14 maple DW 10+6 snare that came with my kit. The DW snare doesn't have a snare bed either. Why'd they do that?
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Which ever one Pat Mastelotto happens to be hitting.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
Which ever one Pat Mastelotto happens to be hitting.
Unfortunately the last time I saw him he was playing Roland V-drums with King Crimson. A huge disappointment. Nothing sounds better than real drums in a nice live venue, especially when he is playing them.

-R
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Supraphonic-400 60's and a DW 6x14 collectors Maple.

The DW gets used by a lot of bands that record with me. The supra well only a few times in a year I do not know why.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

A great way to get a great "snare" sound is to purchase the Cannon Extra Wide Power Snares. These record great! With a MSRP = $24.50, what have you got to lose?
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
Unfortunately the last time I saw him he was playing Roland V-drums with King Crimson. A huge disappointment. Nothing sounds better than real drums in a nice live venue, especially when he is playing them.-R
You probably need to get the King Crimson DVD "Eyes Wide Open". Has some great Pat footage on an acoustic kit with Crimson and yes it does sound quite spectacular I must say.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

anybody have the snares for a supersensitive laying around...?
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
You probably need to get the King Crimson DVD "Eyes Wide Open". Has some great Pat footage on an acoustic kit with Crimson and yes it does sound quite spectacular I must say.
I saw him with the "double trio" live playing opposite Bruford, on real drums, and it was incredible.

-R
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Supraphonics are cool...

Recently, I have been digging these birch snares that are 8" deep.
I have a mid 80's Tama Superstar 8 inch snare - it's not right for everything but what a great sounding drum.

It was one of the first high end snare drums I ever bought when deep snares were all the rage. I always got comments on that snare when I brought live to play. I was stupid enough to lend the thing out and ti was never returned.

Thank God for Ebay, $300 later and I was back in business!!

Supraphonics are amazing snare drums, seemed to work for Bonham heh

My favourite snare is a 14 x 5 1/2 Brady Snare. It was one of the first shipped to North America. I think it is made from Jarrah wood which is exceptionally hard, it's got a nice mix of crack and body. Expensive as hell, I think they sell for about a grand now, but what a great sounding snare.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

I've owned Tama steels shells, Premier vintage snares, a ADM Jarrah Block Shell, a Black Beauty, and a Sonor Designer Series snare.

I now have one, and it gets more use and has proven more versatile than all the others.

It's a '66 Acrolite which I paid a measly sum for off ebay.

Sure, I'd love a (insert expensive custom snare in exotic material here), but for everything I do it's very hard to justify more.

"High End" does not neccessarily mean "High Price".

YMMV

Cheers,

bdp
Old 1st February 2006
Gear Addict

Don't forget Brady or Dunnett snares. Ocheltree use to make an insane snare Carter Beauford use to use. It was like 30 pounds or something.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

This cheesy old rusted Ludwig Acrolite aluminum snare blew me away this last session. I just stuck an ambassador on it and was super anal about the tuning on both heads stuck a 57 on it and a badass drummer hit it hard and it sounded amazing Go figure. The overhead / FOK was coles and/or Neumann UM57 which probably didn't hurt. I also really dig the Pork Pie big black which is a knockoff of a black beauty. It sounds really cool with the beyer 201 on it. There's also a noble and cooley 14" x 7" that I've heard sound either amazing or mediocre depending on the head and the room.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
My favourite snare is a 14 x 5 1/2 Brady Snare. It was one of the first shipped to North America. I think it is made from Jarrah wood which is exceptionally hard, it's got a nice mix of crack and body. Expensive as hell, I think they sell for about a grand now, but what a great sounding snare.

We have that same snare too! Amazing detail and definition. That jarrah block wood is awesome. The Brady is great, but definitely doesn't sound like a deep shell, and for hard rock, I usually go for the deeper shell sound. My fav is the Spaun birch 8". As for a mulit-purpose snare, the Brady is #1, but recently, I have only been working on hard rock stuff. thumbsup
Old 1st February 2006
My 6.5 Acrolite (technically a blackrolite) tends to be the most popular amongst thr drummers who pass through. i use the double wide snares on the bottom.

I also have a deep metal one. I can't rememebr who mkaes it, but I've got a Evans blue hydrualic on top and an and a Hazy 300 or 500 on the bottom, set for a really deep sound.

I've also got a cheap Remo piccolo that people flip over as it's some kind of supercheap composite, but it sounds great.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Agreed I love those! Another vote for Supraphonics
Lately it's been a 72 supra 400. Just sounds right, and never sucks.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Depends totally on the song.... but:

1938 14x7 Radio King for big dirty backbeats
1959 14x5 Brass Ludwig 400 for Gadd style vanilla backbeats/brushes
1924 14x5 Brass Leedy Professional for brushes/clanky backbeats
1958 14x5 Radio King for Lo-Fi stuff (very round sounding)
Either a 4", 5" or 7" Noble & Cooley classic SS for super clean/super sensitive stuff (these are usually first out the box for film sessions/jingles/pop)
14x6 Yamaha Anton Fig tuned REALLY low for big rock/metal
14x5.5 Yamaha Manu Katché for that 'Black Beauty' sound, without the annoying de-tuning!!
1916 14x5 Leedy solid mahogany/calf heads for wierdness

I can usually get it with one of these.....
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

my buddy has a 1920's Black Beauty, i thought sounded pretty sweet when i
was messin around recording it.
the 1959 radio king was kinda crazy too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search