The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Three questions about Aurora GTQ2 / GTQC / GTP8
Old 26th January 2011
  #1
Registered User
 

Three questions about Aurora GTQ2 / GTQC / GTP8

Sorry, probably stupid questions, and certainly noob questions, but I didn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Does plugging an instrument into the front DI deactivate the rear input on all devices? It says "DI with 10dB gain", so are the gain knob (or even also the output and/or EQ) taken out of the path (i.e. not working) when using the DI?

I understand all three have also unbalanced outputs. Do these unbalanced outputs deliver the exact same sound as the balanced outputs, or do they sound different because they go through a different circuit?

I only read mic and DI inputs. Is there no line level input? How would you run a line signal like e.g. the recording out of an amp head into it?
Old 26th January 2011
  #2
Registered User
 

Ok, after searching more, I found the answer to my question about line level inputs.

Anybody can still help me with the first two?
Old 27th January 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Three questions about Aurora GTQ2 / GTQC / GTP8

Hi

If you plug into the front jack it switches a transistor that flips a relay and switches off the xlr path and on the front jack path. Both paths go through the gain and eq stages but we added an additional 10dB gain to the DI path to get better overdrive at high gains.

If you have the stepped gain switch at 0dB and the level pot fully clockwise, the units are unity gain.... As in line input.

Posted from my iPhone via the cool Gearslutz application
Old 27th January 2011
  #4
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

If you plug into the front jack it switches a transistor that flips a relay and switches off the xlr path and on the front jack path. Both paths go through the gain and eq stages but we added an additional 10dB gain to the DI path to get better overdrive at high gains.

If you have the stepped gain switch at 0dB and the level pot fully clockwise, the units are unity gain.... As in line input.

Posted from my iPhone via the cool Gearslutz application
Hi Geoff!
Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me!

I assume what you say about the DI and the unity gain / line input is valid for all three devices - GTQ2, GTQC and GTP8. (Is the output potentiometer on the GTQ2 and GTQC identical in its gain range to the trim potentiometer on the GTP8?)

Sorry if I pester you once more about the other question - the outputs.

On the GTQ2 and the GTQC, I see balanced XLR and unbalanced TS outputs, and it says they are "same level". The output is transformer balanced, so the signal on the unbalanced outputs does not go through the output transformer and should therefore sound different - is that right???

On the GTP8 I see balanced XLR outputs and then a 1/4'' jack labeled "INS". I assume they are then not only an unbalanced output, but a combined send and return of an unbalanced insert path?

Thanks again!
Old 27th January 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfromruins View Post
Hi Geoff!
Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me!

I assume what you say about the DI and the unity gain / line input is valid for all three devices - GTQ2, GTQC and GTP8. (Is the output potentiometer on the GTQ2 and GTQC identical in its gain range to the trim potentiometer on the GTP8?)
The GTQ2 and GTQC use a audio taper pot from unity gain to virtual silence. They also use a 5dB per step input gain controls.

The GTP8 uses a 10dB per step input gain control and a +/-5dB trim control that extends the range by 5dB at each end (-15dB to +85dB gain). It is possible to add a "fader function" as we can supply a 19" x 1U panel with eight pots and cables that plug into the insert jack on the rear of the GTP8.

Quote:
Sorry if I pester you once more about the other question - the outputs.

On the GTQ2 and the GTQC, I see balanced XLR and unbalanced TS outputs, and it says they are "same level". The output is transformer balanced, so the signal on the unbalanced outputs does not go through the output transformer and should therefore sound different - is that right???
No, not really. The transformer forms the reactive load of the output transistor so the difference between the primary and secondary signals will be very small.

Quote:
On the GTP8 I see balanced XLR outputs and then a 1/4'' jack labeled "INS". I assume they are then not only an unbalanced output, but a combined send and return of an unbalanced insert path?

Thanks again!
Yes, that's correct. That insert point is specifically for products (like the GT4-8) that we design to access that point. You can't use it on a patchbay.

Old 28th January 2011
  #6
Registered User
 

Thanks again for all the info, Geoff! All questions sorted now!

In a couple of weeks we will do a preamp shootout, and if nothing goes wrong the GTQ2 will be one of the contenders (together with stuff from Great River, A-Designs, Daking, Vintech and Universal Audio). I am very much looking forward to it!!!
Old 28th January 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfromruins View Post
Thanks again for all the info, Geoff! All questions sorted now!

In a couple of weeks we will do a preamp shootout, and if nothing goes wrong the GTQ2 will be one of the contenders (together with stuff from Great River, A-Designs, Daking, Vintech and Universal Audio). I am very much looking forward to it!!!
Hi

Not sure what you mean by "if nothing goes wrong"... have you ordered one?

Old 28th January 2011
  #8
Registered User
 

No, not yet. :-)

The shootout is to make a buying decision for my songwriter / composer studio at home. I need at least two, maybe even four good channels for vocals and guitars. The tracks I take there should sound good enough for use in final productions which will take place in professional facilities. So, the candidates are the GTQ2, GR MP-2NV, Pacifica, UA 2-610 (which is already in the studio where we will do the shootout and will serve as a comparison), Daking Mic Pre IV, and Vintech 473.

So what we would like to do in principle is to talk to the dealer, ask if they would be willing to supply all the preamps we are interested in, of course against full payment, so that we can test them. After we made our decision (during a one weekend shootout) we return all the units except for the one we want to keep, and they give us a full refund on the returned pres.

Now, I have never had to deal with a pro audio dealer about orders of such a scale, and so I am not sure if they are willing to do it like that. Although I don't think they would refuse such a request, since we would pay up front. Anyway, we have found one dealer here in Europe who carries every single preamp we would like to try (Golden Age Music in Sweden), then another one who carries everything except for Vintech (Digital Audio Service in Germany), and then there's always Thomann, but they don't have Vintech, Aurora or A-Designs.

So, it depends a bit on where we can order the way we would like to, that's all. If Golden Age or Digital Audio Service are willing to supply those units, we will have an Aurora in the shootout. And I do hope so very very much. :-)

P.S.: About me needing maybe four channels... imagine this dialogue...
Me, making the Jedi Knight hand move in front of you: You always wanted to make the GTP4, a four channel pre with DI and without EQ in a price range like the GTQ2 or GTQC.
You, with a blank stare: I always wanted to make the GTP4, a four channel pre with DI and without EQ in a price range like the GTQ2 or GTQC.
How about that??? hehhehheh
Old 28th January 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
Although, in theory, I love the idea of a GTP4 there is really no point as you'd buy one THEN immediately buy another - so save your money and just buy the GTP8

Seriously though, I had the thought the other day that it would be great if Geoff would do a "Hardy" like thing and sell the GTP8 "mainframe" with as many preamps as you could currently afford - then allow you to buy and expand it as your budget/needs grow (and yes, this is only because I want one and can't quite justify buying it right now)
Old 28th January 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Although, in theory, I love the idea of a GTP4 there is really no point as you'd buy one THEN immediately buy another - so save your money and just buy the GTP8

Seriously though, I had the thought the other day that it would be great if Geoff would do a "Hardy" like thing and sell the GTP8 "mainframe" with as many preamps as you could currently afford - then allow you to buy and expand it as your budget/needs grow (and yes, this is only because I want one and can't quite justify buying it right now)
Hi

Nice idea but it would look ugly with all the vacant holes filled with rubber bungs, plus it puts the responsibility on the user to plug all the connectors for switches and audio into the right slots and assemble the unit with the new channels. It's not a 500 series rack heh

I wish the original poster the best of luck obtaining all those units for a tryout as the items that may be on the dealer's web site may not be the items that they have in stock. He should most certainly check that first.

Old 28th January 2011
  #11
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
I wish the original poster the best of luck obtaining all those units for a tryout as the items that may be on the dealer's web site may not be the items that they have in stock. He should most certainly check that first.

Some of them are listed on the website as "in stock", others with delivery time "5-10 days". I can imagine they might only supply those that are actually labeled "in stock".
That's one more reason why my formulation "if nothing goes wrong" applies... and also the finances for the studio. I am waiting for the bank's reply about the house make up / renovation / room design credit. They gave me already the credit for the house purchase in the first place, but I don't know if that means chances are good or not. If they refuse it, I will have to stick to the Duet for quite a while. Luckily, I am mainly a songwriter and for this, even the humble setup I already have is sufficient. It just means that I will have to re-record everything again in the "real" studio for the actual production.

But I would love oh so much to have one of those Aurora babies in my rack...!
Old 28th January 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfromruins View Post
Some of them are listed on the website as "in stock", others with delivery time "5-10 days". I can imagine they might only supply those that are actually labeled "in stock".
That's one more reason why my formulation "if nothing goes wrong" applies... and also the finances for the studio. I am waiting for the bank's reply about the house make up / renovation / room design credit. They gave me already the credit for the house purchase in the first place, but I don't know if that means chances are good or not. If they refuse it, I will have to stick to the Duet for quite a while. Luckily, I am mainly a songwriter and for this, even the humble setup I already have is sufficient. It just means that I will have to re-record everything again in the "real" studio for the actual production.

But I would love oh so much to have one of those Aurora babies in my rack...!
Hi

I'd love you to have one too but you'd best check with Golden Age that they have one to loan you... they may have.

To whet your appetite you might check the Italian Audio Magazine review on our Facebook page. One kind guy has translated a section and posted it...

heh
Old 28th January 2011
  #13
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I'd love you to have one too but you'd best check with Golden Age that they have one to loan you... they may have.

To whet your appetite you might check the Italian Audio Magazine review on our Facebook page. One kind guy has translated a section and posted it...

heh
Been there, done that. Read it. Aaaaarrrrrgggg!!!!! I need to write fast now before I drooled so much on my laptop that it dies of water damage...
Four GTQC's would be the be all end all for all my tracking purposes ever. That's 12 Grand, though... maybe I should try gambling... no. Bad idea. Wifey kill me. And rightfully so...
Old 29th January 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfromruins View Post
Been there, done that. Read it. Aaaaarrrrrgggg!!!!! I need to write fast now before I drooled so much on my laptop that it dies of water damage...
Four GTQC's would be the be all end all for all my tracking purposes ever. That's 12 Grand, though... maybe I should try gambling... no. Bad idea. Wifey kill me. And rightfully so...
Hi

To torment you more, and I hope I can be forgiven for the occasional trumpet blow, but on these very forums a few years back there was a thread about a Japanese review of all the 1073 style pre amps (see photo) and the GTQ2 came out on top, for sound and value... because the two channel GTQ2 was near the price of the mono other devices!

heh
Attached Thumbnails
Three questions about Aurora GTQ2 / GTQC / GTP8-slutz-20review.bmp.jpg  
Old 29th January 2011
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I used a few of the GTQ2's on Rush's Snakes & Arrows CD to track guitars ... outrageously great tone! Geoff's work is exemplary!

A must-have purchase for sure!

R
Old 29th January 2011
  #16
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

To torment you more, and I hope I can be forgiven for the occasional trumpet blow, but on these very forums a few years back there was a thread about a Japanese review of all the 1073 style pre amps (see photo) and the GTQ2 came out on top, for sound and value... because the two channel GTQ2 was near the price of the mono other devices!

heh
Well, now I hate you. heh

Monday have to call that bank guy again...
Old 19th March 2012
  #17
Gear Nut
 
20100db's Avatar
 

Hello Geoff,

I love the sound of gtq2!
But I am quite interrese by gtq8!
I have a question about the gain:
- The gtq2 I like the sound of the preamp when you push hard enough to gain entry, as a result I am obliged to correct the output gain with the output level to return correctly in my converter (or any other machine).
- Does putting extra faders via point inserts on gtq8 I have the same sound? For the trim 5 db will not be enough!
- Reduce the gain of the gain does not work because it will change the sound too, especially at the dynamic sounds that have a lot of transient.

Thank you for your reponce,

V
Old 19th March 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20100db View Post
Hello Geoff,

I love the sound of gtq2!
But I am quite interrese by gtq8!
I have a question about the gain:
- The gtq2 I like the sound of the preamp when you push hard enough to gain entry, as a result I am obliged to correct the output gain with the output level to return correctly in my converter (or any other machine).
- Does putting extra faders via point inserts on gtq8 I have the same sound? For the trim 5 db will not be enough!
- Reduce the gain of the gain does not work because it will change the sound too, especially at the dynamic sounds that have a lot of transient.

Thank you for your reponce,

V
Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "gain entry". Also why, whatever it is, you need to turn the output pot down.

I am guessing that you are overdriving it and need to back the output level down because of the high gain.

I'm not sure the trim on the GTP8 has enough control for that as you must be overdriving more than 20dB.

You can fit a level pot to the insert jack if you want to have the GTQ2's type of output level control.

We could supply a 1U panel with 8 pots if you thought you needed it.

Posted from my iPhone 4S
Old 20th March 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chycki View Post
I used a few of the GTQ2's on Rush's Snakes & Arrows CD to track guitars ... outrageously great tone! Geoff's work is exemplary!

A must-have purchase for sure!

R
Wow! Great job on that record!

Was it tracked in its entirety at Grandmaster Recorders? (note to Geoff - on the Grandmaster website, it mentions "Snakes And Ladders"- somebody ought to fix that :o))

Richard, have you had anything to do with Clockwork Angels?

(edit, weeks later)....NEP News

So, yeah, I see that Rich "Tweak" Chycki did indeed take part in the creation of Clockwork Angels.

I like Geddy Lee's characterization of mixing as "the end of hope." :o)

Looking forward to hearing it!
Old 7th February 2013
  #20
Gear Nut
 
tumbador's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "gain entry". Also why, whatever it is, you need to turn the output pot down.

I am guessing that you are overdriving it and need to back the output level down because of the high gain.

I'm not sure the trim on the GTP8 has enough control for that as you must be overdriving more than 20dB.

You can fit a level pot to the insert jack if you want to have the GTQ2's type of output level control.

We could supply a 1U panel with 8 pots if you thought you needed it.

Posted from my iPhone 4S
Hello Geoff,

And how works when you have GTP8+GT4-8 to control output level?
thanks
Old 7th February 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Aisle 6's Avatar
The GTQ2 is an amazing piece of kit. Mine needed a service recently and I only then realised how much I use it. "You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone". : P
Old 7th February 2013
  #22
Gear Nut
I have the aurora GTQ 2 and the GTC 2 in my studio .I sometimes start thinking about getting a different set up and I smile and say No Way. The only way I could really be satisfied if I also had the GT 4-2 EQ . That would be lights out !!!!
Old 7th February 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
steveschizoid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Haze View Post
I have the aurora GTQ 2 and the GTC 2 in my studio .I sometimes start thinking about getting a different set up and I smile and say No Way. The only way I could really be satisfied if I also had the GT 4-2 EQ . That would be lights out !!!!
Nope. Then you would want a couple of GTP8s, a couple of GT4-8's and a GTM.
Old 10th February 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JulianFernandez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "gain entry". Also why, whatever it is, you need to turn the output pot down.

I am guessing that you are overdriving it and need to back the output level down because of the high gain.

I'm not sure the trim on the GTP8 has enough control for that as you must be overdriving more than 20dB.

You can fit a level pot to the insert jack if you want to have the GTQ2's type of output level control.

We could supply a 1U panel with 8 pots if you thought you needed it.

Posted from my iPhone 4S
Hey Geoff!

I´m loving my GTP8 so far... Thanks!
I was thinking about running my mix buss through the GTP8 DI´s to add some extra flavor... So, input gain at 0 and trim control at +5 is line level right? Tried using the GTP8 as a "color" box at the mixing stage? Cheers!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Stoneface / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
14
jacko / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
tsd / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump