The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer a80 VU card compatibility Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

Studer a80 VU card compatibility

Hi

Does anybody have any experience or info relating to the compatibility of various card versions in the channel electronics for the Studer a80 VU? The Studer List seems to be in stasis these days but I bet there are folk around that know their Studers and might want to chip in.

Can you use older cards with newer machines - e.g. a Mk I bias card in a Mk IV machine?

Or more importantly, can you use a Mk II or Mk IV repro card in a MkI machine?

Is there a general compatibility principle or does it depend on each particular card?

I'm doing some work trying to rescue an old Mk I machine and am finding more Mk II and Mk IV cards than Mk I cards.
If any Studer techs out there could give me some guidance that would be great.

atb
Sean
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Sean,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't have definitive answers but I do know that my mkI deck's cards have transformers that require a low inductance repro head while and my mkIV deck's cards do not have transformers and use a higher inductance repro head - so I guess the compatibility answer looks like no - at least for the playback side.

You can check to see if you have a transformer by pulling out the repro card behind the calibration module. The transformer is in a 1.5" x 3" metal box.

I'd love to learn more. Let me know if you come across more info.

GR
Old 11th July 2011
Gear Head

Hi Greg, Hi Sean

I can help here and with all other Studer issues ;-)

you can contact me at:

Andreas Kuhn

analog-audio kuhn
professionelle Tonbandtechnik
Seestrasse 41; CH-3700 Spiez
Tel/Fax: ++41 (0) 33 654 93 22

E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 15th July 2011
Here for the gear

Studer modules cheap?

http://newyork.***************/mnh/msg/2461599430.html

Just running over craigslist and ran across these modules. I am looking for pres so I did a little research. Figured I'd let you guys know about them as I am clueless. Might be a cheap deal. not sure.

Patrick
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

Thought I would bring this thread back.

Did anyone ever get a definitive answer on this one?

I currently have 2 mki units down and only have spare units from an mkiv machine. Was there a way to modify the mkiv board. The cards on the repro side do not fit the sockets due to different slots in the cards.

I have also noted that the board 1.080.880 is significantly different to the mkiv 1.081.800.

I will be looking at replacing the 2 axial lytics on the mki board. Currently they are 100uf 40v (only apropriate replacement I can find are vishay axials) As that will fix at least one of the units. Does anyone know the original value as I have searched for the schematic on the studer docs ftp.

Should I replace any of the other caps? Are those values available anywhere as I will have to remove them to read the values and test.

On the mkiv the axials are 100uf 25v.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Its not a card size difference, its the transformer/head issue.

Recap EVERYTHING you can find in an A80! Those Frakko caps are junk!
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

I know about the impedance but the transformers are on the mki repro cards. I would have thought modifying the mkiv board to recieve these would work.
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

Oh and as to the compatibility (first post years ago) there is a good chart here ftp://ftp.studer.ch/public/Products/...bilityList.pdf.

I am still yet to find the schematic for amplifier motherboard 1.080.880. The one for the MKII is close though. I can't find replacements for C1-3 though they should be ok. Just doing C5 and C4 as they are the only electrolytics.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search