The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GERMANIUM Compressor OR Slate Dragon
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

GERMANIUM Compressor OR Slate Dragon

I have la2a and 1176 looking for a another color for crayon box
Tracking,Mixing. Have my eye on these 2 What YA Think
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

Love the warmth of all Chandler gear. TG2 would be cooler of course but the Germanium series is awesome as well, so I would opt for the Chandler.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
Love the warmth of all Chandler gear. TG2 would be cooler of course but the Germanium series is awesome as well, so I would opt for the Chandler.
TG2 is a preamp, but I guess you meant TG1 which is a compressor, but a very special one with imho limited but powerful use.

Best regards

Friedemann
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I personally found the Germ comp to be too noisy for MY liking.

YMMV

Cheers
John NYMO Nyman
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Nut

Isn't the dragon trying to be an 1176 with a few more sonic options? I really enjoy my chandler germanium compressor. It's a good choice if your looking for colors.

I often track vocals and stuff thru a germ pre into the germ comp and things can get very thick and gooey pretty quickly.

If you really want to jam some intensity in that crayon box then the standard Level-Or is amazing... a great gateway drug into the seedy world of 500 series.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionraygun View Post
Isn't the dragon trying to be an 1176 with a few more sonic options? I really enjoy my chandler germanium compressor. It's a good choice if your looking for colors.

I often track vocals and stuff thru a germ pre into the germ comp and things can get very thick and gooey pretty quickly.

If you really want to jam some intensity in that crayon box then the standard Level-Or is amazing... a great gateway drug into the seedy world of 500 series.
Ya Man Thats what I told one of my distributors not ready for the 500 series im already a addict don't need the heroin I went with the Dragon but I still want a Germ 1 day
Old 21st January 2011
Germanium is an awesome comp, I think I'd get a Chandler Zener next (although you can't lose with either since they are complementary) if I already specifically had what you have since it's very different than anything out there (that I've heard) and has a rich sweet color that's hard to live without IME. Here is Wade showing it:

Old 21st January 2011
Not a big fan of the Germanium series from Chandler. The TG1 is awesome but if I had to choose between the Germanium and the Slate Dragon I can tell you only what I did choose, which was the Dragon.

Even thought it sort of looks like an 1176 on steroids, it certainly doesn't sound like one to me. The Dragon has a more hi-fi sound to it that works amazingly well on lead guitar, bass, some cleaner vocals, etc. and was a welcomed addition to my studio. Plus, Steven Slate and the entire team at Slate Pro Audio are all really amazing people that truly care about their customers.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Not a big fan of the Germanium series from Chandler. The TG1 is awesome but if I had to choose between the Germanium and the Slate Dragon I can tell you only what I did choose, which was the Dragon.
Whilst this comment is valid, please try not to be swayed by one person's negative reaction to the Germanium.

I guess you asked the question "which one should I buy", so people are just going to come out and tell you.

I can say from much experience that the Germanium Compressor is a spectacular device and definately on par with all the devices mentioned. You need to hear them - it's as simple as that. Don't let us f*ck up your decision
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Maniac

OP: Germanium, lot of color.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

IIRC, the germanium line, in general ,is the 'designers' favorite stuff he does. i've only used the tone control which was a killa biotch.it's f$kin sick
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
OP: Germanium, lot of color.
Yep, and for us swedes - the favorite ones
Attached Thumbnails
GERMANIUM Compressor OR Slate Dragon-flag.jpg  
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Even thought it sort of looks like an 1176 on steroids, it certainly doesn't sound like one to me. The Dragon has a more hi-fi sound to it that works amazingly well on lead guitar, bass, some cleaner vocals, etc. and was a welcomed addition to my studio. Plus, Steven Slate and the entire team at Slate Pro Audio are all really amazing people that truly care about their customers.
How is it that you completely knock everything that you don't sell when you could simply just state your preference for what you use. I get it, you only sell what you use and because you use it, it must be the best... but really, it just comes across as misleading, uninformative or you just don't know what you are talking about and are only suggesting a unit because it's what is in your store... I don't want to buy gear from someone who possibly doesn't know what they are talking about.

You have the wrong approach man, you are losing business.

Something doesn't add up, when 90% of the people here say the Chandler is amazing, but you, who coincidentally, is a retailer that doesn't sell Chandler, pretty much says it's no good. Well, you could say a C12 is better than a SM57 but I use my SM57s more than I use my C12.

You can play innocent, but either you are transparent or I have x-ray vision because I see right through it, especially when you spend 10 words knocking the germanium without saying why, and then spend 50 words saying why the Dragon is amazing.

Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't doubt you like it... And sounds like a valid opinion... STILL:

OP, bear in mind he's selling Steven Slate's products. Just saying.

Cheers.
Old 21st January 2011
1. We do not sell the Slate Dragon. We only carry the Steven Slate Drums software at this time.

2. I didn't knock "Chandler". I simply said I wasn't a big fan of the Germanium series. I believe I even stated how much I liked the TG1 compressor.

Why don't you try reading what I post and considering it instead of instantly jumping to conclusions about some ulterior motive behind why I posted it? The OP asked a question about which someone preferred between two pieces of gear.

Sorry my opinion doesn't match yours but it is still MY opinion.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Its all Good I appreciate all the opinions Hear and I whent with the Dragon
this round but I would still like a Germ but prob. Will get a Distressor Next
although a Grem prob. has a more diff. color than my gear now will see I need to
"I O I O its back to work I go" save some coin
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

man, get something other then a distressor!

I have 1176, la 2a, a distressor and germ comps. Distressor is bottom of the pile for me. The grems are great. I love them on everything. I will say I have had them sent in twice for the mastering upgrade because I use them on busses alot. They never have come back really close enough to just set up by the dials. It just takes some tweaking with the ears. i think it has to do with the components being used to get the tone. They aren't very exact. But I still love them!
Old 22nd January 2011
Gear Nut

I have 2 Dragons and just ordered 2 more... If you have the ability, buy a pair because they rock as stereo buss compression when linked. I don't have a ton of experience with the Germanium but I do know as far as versatility, the Dragon can do a lot more... I consider it the 'Frankenstein' of compressors... Crank a bunch of knobs and you'll have a sound you can't get with anything else... yet, if you wanna keep it simple, you can back off and keep a FET / 1176 style of compression. I could preach all day...

Okbye.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
man, get something other then a distressor!

I have 1176, la 2a, a distressor and germ comps. Distressor is bottom of the pile for me. The grems are great. I love them on everything. I will say I have had them sent in twice for the mastering upgrade because I use them on busses alot. They never have come back really close enough to just set up by the dials. It just takes some tweaking with the ears. i think it has to do with the components being used to get the tone. They aren't very exact. But I still love them!
Man I thought you are not a real studio unless you have an Distressorheh
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Got the dragon today all ready had a band set up swapped it out for the 1176 I had on the kick put the boom button in and I'm liking it yes I think im liking it so far so good
Old 22nd January 2011
Quote:
The grems are great. I love them on everything. I will say I have had them sent in twice for the mastering upgrade because I use them on busses alot. They never have come back really close enough to just set up by the dials. It just takes some tweaking with the ears. i think it has to do with the components being used to get the tone. They aren't very exact. But I still love them!
I love my pair too, and use them for mastering all the time, but was not aware of any "mastering upgrade". Would you mind letting us know exactly what upgrades were done, by who, and roughly how much it cost? I'd love to know!

Gregg
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkflame View Post
I love my pair too, and use them for mastering all the time, but was not aware of any "mastering upgrade". Would you mind letting us know exactly what upgrades were done, by who, and roughly how much it cost? I'd love to know!

Gregg

I just sent them back to chandler. No idea what they did. They are closer but still not close. Maybe it will help you but to me i would probably not do the upgrade again because they still don't really match.

Its ok, they sound great.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Its ok, they sound great.
This is what I tell myself everyday.

There can be no denying the fact that Germanium Compressors sound fantastic. Maybe not to everyones taste, but they certainly are a very classy sounding unit.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

A whole Germanium line is different than anything else in high-end offering.
This fact alone requires to try it.
IMO each of Germ box is totally and freaking fantastic and useful analogue gear.
I have pair of all and never, ever doubt for a second the purpose of buying them.
Compared to Gordon (the purest, high res, low noise preamp available) Germs are dirty, noisy, not enough articulate, they almost sound primitive in some respects.
In their own way they are beautiful gears, with character and lot of juice.
IMO best Chandlers boxes (everything else is excellent, but more-less 'deja vu')
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Nut

When I first bought my Germanium compressor I was expecting (and hoping for at the time) something dirtier... but it turns out they are a very nice sounding unit with plenty of lovely character along with the rest of Candler's germanium line.

Just got an MC77 a few weeks ago but will have to look into the Dragon next time I'm lusting after compression options.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I've owned the Distressors, the Germ Comps, Slate Dragon, UA LA-2A RI, UA 1176 RI, Mohog MoFET76, etc.

To me the Distressors and Germaniums are the most flexible as far as envelope shaping. The Germs and Dragons have the most flexibility on tonality with the MoFET76 having slightly less variety but the two transformers can help you peg that perfect one. Considering envelope shaping and tone the Germanium is the clear winner as far as flexibility. To be fair with all that flexibility it can take longer to get that perfect tone than some other boxes I have.

I still have the Distressors, the Germs, the LA-2A and the MoFET76. Sold the 1176 and Dragon. I prefered the MoFET76 to the UA 1176; mostly due to the switchable transformer. The Dragon was cool but I felt like I got a much better bang for the buck with all the other pieces out there. You can buy almost two MoFET76's for what one Dragon costs. I know it's not the slutty answer but I live in the real world and I felt I could spend the $2k per channel better elsewhere.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, That makes sense.

I am not a huge distressor lover but I had mine modded by Audio Upgrades and it sounds so much better. Now I like it specially for the really fast stuff. I use it after something else. The first for the majorty of the work and tone and the distressor o grab/tame the super fast stuff just a little.

That is why I love having other compressors that sound great. I never liked the tone of a distressor but after the mods its much more transparent and the color it does have sounds much more analog instead of the sound of IC's crapping out. Anyway, all the more reason to own more stuff.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Did my First Voc tracks threw the Dragon Loved it no complaints it really seem to have a fast attack faster than the 1176. I did have to 0 out the meter a couple of times hope it stays in place Now

so far Dragon on Kick
Dragon on Voc

Still would like a Grem one day
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, Kick and Vox were getting a lot of Dragon time when I had one. Dragon on kick and distressor on snare is a great start to a good rock and roll drum sound.

Now try bass through the Dragon, you'll be way psyched - when I decided the Dragon wasn't the vocal compressor that I was looking for, I was tempted to keep it solely as a bass compressor but couldn't justify the cash. It's on my list of things to "rebuy" when I have the money. It's great all around, but it was just really amazing on bass.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Yeah, Kick and Vox were getting a lot of Dragon time when I had one. Dragon on kick and distressor on snare is a great start to a good rock and roll drum sound.

Now try bass through the Dragon, you'll be way psyched - when I decided the Dragon wasn't the vocal compressor that I was looking for, I was tempted to keep it solely as a bass compressor but couldn't justify the cash. It's on my list of things to "rebuy" when I have the money. It's great all around, but it was just really amazing on bass.
What became your Voc Comp I have an LA2a and an 1176 the LA2a is usialy my go to sometimes use them both but I had no problem with the sound I got from the Dragon Im
sure it dose not hurt that Im running them threw a Fearn VT2heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search