The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High-End Spring Reverb Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 29th January 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

High-End Spring Reverb

I don't know anything about 'em, but I think I'd like to get one.

Anybody currently mixing with springs?

How about an "Everything you Slutz know about spring reverbs" thread?
Old 29th January 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
gainreduction's Avatar
 

The AKG wooden boxes are cool.., can't remember the model #. It's been some time since I had an encounter with them. But I have good memories about them.
Old 29th January 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
robmix's Avatar
If you're looking at spring reverbs you gotta check out the Jule amps Santa Cruz reverb. It sounds amazing. Tube driven. Sounds great as a front end unit, in an effects loop, or off an effects send from the console. Plus it looks better than other unti out there. Jule's a great guy too.

http://juleamps.com/
Old 29th January 2006
  #4
Gear Nut
Demeter has modern spring reverb which seems to be very well thought of. I have not used one and so can't say.
Old 29th January 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
Soldano Surf Box.
Old 30th January 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
lasso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Hey, I just won an Orban 111B stereo spring on Ebay.

I just hope it doesn't go heh
Congrats. Got one as well...it ROCKS..I love it.
Old 30th January 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

Accutronics Accuverb here.

Very nice and you can drive the preamp in a very cool way. Sounds awesome on guess what..... GUITARS !
Old 30th January 2006
  #8
Gear Nut
 

"The Great British" spring reverb. Sounds fantastic....
Old 30th January 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Master Room Springs

I've got two MicMix Master Room XL-305's...
That I love and use all the time.
Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Old 30th January 2006
  #10
Gear Head
 

Ordered the Demeter the day I heard it at my friend's studio. It arrives soon.
Old 30th January 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 

i have a BX20 and would recommend it strongly- just make sure it's in great condition before you buy- and that it hasn't been moved a lot. physically, mine was perfect, but the electronics needed a make-over. allen garren on the west coast did a great job and rebuilt both channels. it's gets too washed out on med or fast drum parts, but other than that, it's a great reverb. not an emt, but the closest box i've used.
also, the intersound spring unit is cool- more effecty.
david lawrence
Old 30th January 2006
  #12
rll
Gear Maniac
 

We've had the Demeter since it came out. Amazing how often it gets used compared to the higher end digital stuff. And not just guitars but vox especially. Weird but true. The thing just sounds very natural, and if you don't drive it to the point of "y-ness" it sounds very similiar to a real plate. Best $500 reverb we've found period. And if you are going into dub land, it nails it for drums & keys.

rll
Old 30th January 2006
  #13
Gear Addict
 
RobAcid's Avatar
 

i have a AKG BX20, and love it.... very often used...
Old 30th January 2006
  #14
I use my Orban 111b all the time. It kills my System 6000 for certain things.

It's a little noisy though.
Old 30th January 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 

roland stereo spring reverb rv-800, real stereo ins and outs, you can pan the dry/wet signals independently.


great stuff, kind of plate-ish sounding spring reverb...part of the sdd serie like the dimension d, sbf 325 stereo flanger etc...
Old 6th February 2006
  #16
Gear Addict
 
drosophila's Avatar
Anyone tried the Vermona Retroverb or ReTubeVerb? They look pretty swank.
Old 6th February 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

Does anyone remember what the spring impulse responses that come with Alitverb are from?

Anyone ever use spring on percussion/drum kits? Is that pushing it?

Thanks for the info thus far!

Old 6th February 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
camus's Avatar
 

Peavey Valverb. An absolute joy.
Old 6th February 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
If you're looking at spring reverbs you gotta check out the Jule amps Santa Cruz reverb. It sounds amazing. Tube driven. Sounds great as a front end unit, in an effects loop, or off an effects send from the console. Plus it looks better than other unti out there. Jule's a great guy too.

http://juleamps.com/
I gotta second the Jule. Its a pretty dramatic spring with great tone. For smooth nothing beats the old AKGs.
Old 7th February 2006
  #20
Here for the gear
 
Yescalero's Avatar
 

I also have the Demeter spring reverb and love it. I use it mainly in my stereo
guitar rack, but it's great for vocals and other instruments too. It's basiaclly two
separate spring reverbs in one box. One for long decay, and one for short. These
can be used individually or in stereo, and can be combined in or out of phase, so
there's quite a bit of sonic flexibility. The stereo soundscape you can get with this
is stunning, and will definately cure your digital duldrums. It's capable of producing
way more reverb than any sane person would ever want. I rarely turn the mix
knob on the thing past 9 o'clock. When you use it subtly it does have a plate vibe
to it, as you turn it up higher, it gets more of a spring sound without the slop.
Turned way up, it sounds like a Twin Reverb in a canyon.

A couple of things to note: When the unit is connected with balanced in and outs
I don't notice any noise floor, but with unbalanced gear it hums quite a bit. For my
guitar rig, I run the reverb in between my compressor and equalizer to keep the
in and outs balanced. Used like this, it's way quieter than any of my combo amps
with reverb. If you want to use it for percussion, using a compressor in front will
keep you from pegging it too hard.

In the past, I've used Orban and Altec spring reverbs. They were both good, but
not as impressive as the Demeter. For just screwing around, Pioneer used to
make some stereo spring reverbs to enhance home HiFi systems. These are
regularly available on eBay for around $40, and sound pretty decent.
Old 7th February 2006
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Does anyone remember what the spring impulse responses that come with Alitverb are from?

Anyone ever use spring on percussion/drum kits? Is that pushing it?

Thanks for the info thus far!

I find sometimes the close snare mic can make the springs clank, but using it a litte bit can be cool. Especially when you've got a little on the whole band and they do a hard stop letting the tail hang........
Old 8th February 2006
  #22
Here for the gear
 
Yescalero's Avatar
 

It's been about nine years since I last used an Orban unit, but I can still remember
it's sound pretty well. Mainly the Demeter is more lush and cleaner sounding.
Old 16th March 2006
  #23
Gear Addict
 
sloanfiske's Avatar
 

springy

bringing back the thread...

i just installed a akg bx-10 and bx-5...wow.

the bx-10 is like butter compared to daw reverb.
Old 16th March 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
The AKG wooden boxes are cool.., can't remember the model #. It's been some time since I had an encounter with them. But I have good memories about them.
BX-15
Old 17th March 2006
  #25
Old 17th March 2006
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ripper's Avatar
 

used to have an old masterroom... don't know how great it was cause it was years ago and all my gear was pretty primitive. still, i'd use a tape echo for predelay and it sounded good on my cassette (ouch!) masters.

just got a fender 63 tube reverb reissue to go in front of my old bassman to help w/ my morricone obsession.

have used it w/ a DI and reamp on mix sessions and it sounds GREAT on closed miced guitars that i might want to open up or verb a bit.

haven't tried it much on anything else but i've had some smiling guitarist from using the unit.
Old 17th March 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I bought a BX20 new and owned it for about ten years. It was basically a one-trick pony with lots of downsides. I actually sold it after spending about two years using it back and forth with my old Lexicon PCM60, trying to decide whether to keep the 20 or dump it. Even that old Lexi had a lot more body, depth and range than the 20. i sold the 20 to a kid who was just starting out.

The 20 was ok in some mixes if I put a delay on the send to it. By itself, though, the 1.5-4sec reverb time was just not extremely useful on lots of different types of music. The quality of the reverb itself was nice and fat for what it was..but still simply not appropriate for a lot of different kinds of mixes.

Also, the tube on the inside is cardboard, deteriorates over time. And the rubber "strings" that hold the cardboard/spring unit suspended inside the box...break down over time.

And the box is very very very susceptible to picking up extraneous noises which turn up right away in the spring..and in the mix.

AND, the circuitry in the door, is prone to failure and glitches which cause strange little blips in the reverb signal..always at the wrong time.

Now..maybe this stuff only happened to my bx20. But like I say, I bought it new and immediately installed it by itself in a room two rooms away from the control room...where it sat for ten years.

I still have audio tests I made with the various reverbs I had in those days. I still don't miss the Bx20 whenever I listen to the tests I made up against any number of reverbs I have here now.
Old 17th March 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
joshelevator's Avatar
 

I also want to ask - Anyone tried the Vermona Retroverb or ReTubeVerb?
Old 17th March 2006
  #29
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
After years, the BX-5 still amazes, everytime.
Old 17th March 2006
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
I bought a BX20 new and owned it for about ten years. It was basically a one-trick pony with lots of downsides. I actually sold it after spending about two years using it back and forth with my old Lexicon PCM60, trying to decide whether to keep the 20 or dump it. Even that old Lexi had a lot more body, depth and range than the 20. i sold the 20 to a kid who was just starting out.

The 20 was ok in some mixes if I put a delay on the send to it. By itself, though, the 1.5-4sec reverb time was just not extremely useful on lots of different types of music. The quality of the reverb itself was nice and fat for what it was..but still simply not appropriate for a lot of different kinds of mixes.

Also, the tube on the inside is cardboard, deteriorates over time. And the rubber "strings" that hold the cardboard/spring unit suspended inside the box...break down over time.

And the box is very very very susceptible to picking up extraneous noises which turn up right away in the spring..and in the mix.

AND, the circuitry in the door, is prone to failure and glitches which cause strange little blips in the reverb signal..always at the wrong time.

Now..maybe this stuff only happened to my bx20. But like I say, I bought it new and immediately installed it by itself in a room two rooms away from the control room...where it sat for ten years.

I still have audio tests I made with the various reverbs I had in those days. I still don't miss the Bx20 whenever I listen to the tests I made up against any number of reverbs I have here now.

Do you remember how much they were new, and what year it was?

Cheers

Chris
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jules / So Much Gear, So Little Time
78
rcamenzi / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6
Krubbadoo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
ziegenh5 / High End
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump