The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Blue Mouse on Vocals...Thoughts?
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

Blue Mouse on Vocals...Thoughts?

Anyone have any experience/comments on the Blue Mouse as a vocal mic?
Love it as a front-of-kick and bass cab mic but have yet to have a chance to try it on vocals. Just wondering if anyone has any impressions about it.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I love the Blue Mouse on vocals... I think it suits about 80% of voices very well. I think it's a pretty natural mic with a bit of extra cut, which is why I also love it on bass & acoustic cabs.
Next time you're running a vocal session just stick it up right next to your 'regular' mic and A/B them. I bet the Blue wins at least 2/3 of the time
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

I've had great results with the Blue Mouse on male vocal. It doesn't end up on female vocals too often. The Dragonfly Deluxe (Kiwi capsule) usually wins out for that. Here's a list of artist that have used the Mouse, if that's of any use...

Blue Microphones | Mouse - Specifically Designed for Bass and Baritone Vocals and Low-Wind Instruments

Whether or not it was used on their vocals is anyone's guess, but there is definitely video footage of Trent Reznor singing into one, in the Wilco documentary. Being somewhat familiar with Greg Laswell's music, a Mouse would suit his voice as well.

The list is kinda indie/alt country heavy. That's a lot of what I record, so I guess it makes sense that the Mouse gets used so much for vocals. It's hard to go wrong with the Mouse on most vocals though. As you already know, it just does something special to the low end, and has a nice, mellow, presence. Definitely worth putting it in your next vocal session mic shootout.

If your interested, I could post a few vocal clips tracked with the Mouse. Though, you already have a Mouse, so that may not be of much use.

I'd love to know how it holds up against a FET u47. Supposedly, they're similar. Anyone here ever done a direct comparison?
Old 11th May 2011
I have heard great results with the Mouse on male vocals as well. Also it is great for a kick drum, and bass amp. heh
Old 12th May 2011
10 years ago, it was my main vocal mic and these days when I hear those old songs, it catch my attention how well those vocals sound, I think the Mouse its a good vocal mic.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 12th May 2011
IME it works really well on most female voices or high tenor male. I've never liked it on kick or bass cab, unless you are looking for a lot of presence/snap and mixing with a thicker mic (like a sub kick) or DI that enhances low frequencies (which they all don't FWIW) on bass guitar.
Old 29th December 2015
Lives for gear

Old 30th December 2015
Gear Maniac

I like it quite a lot on male voices. I often prefer it to my pearlman tm1. Also Like it for kicks, though didnt like it a lot for bass.
Old 30th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
IME it works really well on most female voices or high tenor male. I've never liked it on kick or bass cab, unless you are looking for a lot of presence/snap and mixing with a thicker mic (like a sub kick) or DI that enhances low frequencies (which they all don't FWIW) on bass guitar.
That is exactly why I love the Mouse on a bass cab. Lately I have been listening to the bass guitar sound on Rush recordings and love it. It lacks the low end rumble that the Waves Bass compressor adds. Instead it has this nice lower midrange sound that I really like with this nice presence. It sounds great in my voice as well. Love the swivel which allows you to make subtle mic position changes.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear
Was just about to post a thread asking this very question.

I heard a vocal clip and found out the mic used was the Blue Mouse. I thought it sounded amazing.

Anybody else can chime in? Would love to see clips posted if you guys have some.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

The Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" album was entirely recorded with a MOUSE, vocal-wise
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
The Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth" album was entirely recorded with a MOUSE, vocal-wise
Thanks for the reference, ill check it out.
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Thanks for the reference, ill check it out.
That record is a real piece of work (songs, themes and progression) not that it has anything to with the Mouse directly. However that album was what initially what turned me on to the Mouse and I never regretted getting one. I remember getting a little thrown off by the presence of it but after a while I realized that I most of the time would do the same boost in EQ on many of my other mics. The Mouse does the work for you, if not needed, just break out a gentle shelving filter. Great mic!
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

and it seems Trent still uses it (see 2nd picture below, from a newer era, Mouse spotted in the background )
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Mouse on Vocals...Thoughts?-1a5169ee7a6a5330b841634f1a3f5ae2.jpg   Blue Mouse on Vocals...Thoughts?-imgext.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search