The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C12 VR Mods Condenser Microphones
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks heaps folks for the leads. I appreciate it. Seems there is a summary here in terms of the possibilities.
Generally speaking, would you know what price range the mods could be? I understand it depends on what's replaced, and if so, can anyone point of specifically what it may be?

Im definitely thinking of some of the options.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

I would put Tim's capsule in there as well

Matti
Old 16th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi folks.. any one modified an C12VR? Would love to know your thoughts and recommendations.

I have a serial #051 VR in great condition but also have a Sony C800G, Ref C, which are both bright mics. I would love to get some thoughts on modifications at this stage. I have used this for vocals (okay for mostly rock female and pop male) and great on acoustic guitars as well.

Thanks!
I played around with the resistor values in the NFB loop looking for more gain. Finally had the balls to pull the resistor out all together and run the mic full open loop gain with zero negative feedback. It output so much level that I didn't need a mic pre anymore, and eliminating the pre and just direct-connecting it to the recorder resulted in spectacular presence. HOWEVER, I only used it for vocals, and it was VERY easy to overload the mic and push it into audible distortion (obviously), and the singer had to be a bit further back from the mic and he wasn't an especially loud singer either. But when used within it's limited range...wow...never forgot that vibe.
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussyh View Post
I played around with the resistor values in the NFB loop looking for more gain. Finally had the balls to pull the resistor out all together and run the mic full open loop gain with zero negative feedback
What mic are you talking about? The C12VR has no negative feedback.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search