The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Issues with ADL 1500
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Issues with ADL 1500

So I'm trying out an ADL 1500, and I really like what it does to everything I use it on. I will try some other comps before I decide upon buying it though. Here are the issues:

The stereo link switch: Am I doing it wrong? How should it work? According to my own logics, when switched on (stereo in) both channels should be affected by one peak reduction knob and one gain knob (the left one). Switching it in and out doesn't affect anything. Well, you can hear some slight difference in the sound, but stereo linking??

The light bulb on the left VU-meter is broke, but that's an easy fix. I've seen another thread about this.

The stereo adjust pots: WTF? I can't find any info on how they work. It worked like a charm yesterday, and today I just wanted to try to see what happened if I would adjust the pots and it all got screwed up. Was recording a mix back to Cubase, and in the middle it started to hum like crazy (ground hum). I adjusted the stereo pots a little and it went away. Can somebody please explain how to adjust them properly?

Same thing with the meter adjust pots; how, why and when do you adjust them? I was fiddleing with them too, and it was only with the gain reduction switched on that I could see anything happening on the meter..

Sorry for all these questions, I feel like such a noob. I just haven't used any gear with these kind of un-intuitive pots before..

Also; if you push it below 5 on peak reduction there are weird noises and stuff happening. Not in the cool "tubey" way, more like some kind of malfunction. I've seen some comment on this before. I guess that could be arranged if you switch out the original tubes..
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpony View Post
So I'm trying out an ADL 1500, and I really like what it does to everything I use it on. I will try some other comps before I decide upon buying it though. Here are the issues:

The stereo link switch: Am I doing it wrong? How should it work? According to my own logics, when switched on (stereo in) both channels should be affected by one peak reduction knob and one gain knob (the left one). Switching it in and out doesn't affect anything. Well, you can hear some slight difference in the sound, but stereo linking??

The light bulb on the left VU-meter is broke, but that's an easy fix. I've seen another thread about this.

The stereo adjust pots: WTF? I can't find any info on how they work. It worked like a charm yesterday, and today I just wanted to try to see what happened if I would adjust the pots and it all got screwed up. Was recording a mix back to Cubase, and in the middle it started to hum like crazy (ground hum). I adjusted the stereo pots a little and it went away. Can somebody please explain how to adjust them properly?

Same thing with the meter adjust pots; how, why and when do you adjust them? I was fiddleing with them too, and it was only with the gain reduction switched on that I could see anything happening on the meter..

Sorry for all these questions, I feel like such a noob. I just haven't used any gear with these kind of un-intuitive pots before..

Also; if you push it below 5 on peak reduction there are weird noises and stuff happening. Not in the cool "tubey" way, more like some kind of malfunction. I've seen some comment on this before. I guess that could be arranged if you switch out the original tubes..
Gotta try to help a fellow swedeheh
Re the stereo link - it should make both channel comp equally, but both knobs are affecting the amount of GR. So to me it makes sense moving both knobs in parallell. There are many other comps working this way BTW.
Re the meter adjust - I believe that it should only affect the meter in GR mode. And you should wait 1hr+ before adjusting that as it will be moving as the unit gets warmed up (you need good vent for these!)

Besides that, it seems the unit act a little strange. Can't help you w that. 'Weird noises' seems alarming.

I have two of these so you could borrow one of my manuals (I would have checked the manual before fiddling w trim pots, but that's just me...), if you promise to return. My studio is at Södermalm, so PM if you'd like that
Old 11th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I bought a used ADL1500 about two years ago. It was all kinds of weird. I sent it back to ADL. It took a while, but came back perfect. Anthony did a complete rebuild/update/tweak, new power tranny, retube & new t4s. He really wants every unit out there to be at it's best. Didn't cost that much either, less than $500 including shipping. Anthony's a good guy.
Gear Nut

If I decide on buying the ADL, I will definitely consider sending the unit to Anthony deMaria. $500 is not that much to get a great sounding comp! I guess it would cost more or less the same shipped to Sweden..

@ Unit7: Thanks a million! Tack som fanken!

If I buy it, I would love to borrow the manual from you. What's your studio's name?
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's your studio's name?
Unit 7. Feel free to PM.
Gear Nut

Go figure!

I'll keep in touch!
Old 19th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Mailed Anthony yesterday and got an answer a few hours later, that's what I call good service! He seems like a really nice guy. He gave me some good advice and tonight I'll try out what he said. Evidently I have adjusted the pots madly wrong as I didn't know what I was doing. Now I know how to do it and I can't wait to see how it'll sound when sounding as it should sound! Sound sound sound. Sound. I'll get back here when I've tried it out. Sound!
Old 20th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

FYI; I called Anthony tonight after tweaking and turning the pots for 4 hours without good results. I told him the serial number on the unit and he immediately said "Aaah that's what's wrong! Your unit was manufactured in 1996 and these babies need to be attended to every 7 years or so. No wonder you're having problems". After that, he started giving me tips and told me what to do etc.. What a NICE GUY, it's beautiful in a way that you can speak with the man who actually MADE the unit and that he can tell you exactly what to do and how much it'll cost etc. Now I only have to get a killer price from the music store I borrowed it from. They wanted to have around $2550 for a non-functioning unit. I pushed it down to $2260 before even listening to it. Now I won't pay more than $750-800 I think.. What do you find a reasonable price? Anthony said that a complete go-thru of the unit would cost $435 plus shipping (which is another 240 or so).
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Nut

Issues with ADL 1500

2260 - 675 = 1585 ? :-)

I Love this machine, we have one too.
Good to know, there is good service just in a case.
Gear Nut

Haha yeah, at least $1585 anyway!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Haha yeah, at least $1585 anyway!
I paid for a fully working one, in used condition 1500€.
Lives for gear

I bought a used and working C/L 1500 for 1400€. It´s worth every cent.
Gear Nut

Old 25th March 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi guys,
I have an ADL1500 too and am experiencing some weird sounds when I turn the gain over 3.
Are your adl hitting 0dBVU at gain 3.5 whane you send a -20dBFS 1kHz sine from your DAW and crashing over?

mrpony could you help me and tell me the range of the 1996 serials numbers?

thanks
Old 26th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Is this a Presonus Product
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I this a Presonus Product
As usual you're wrong
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
As usual you're wrong
NO..........It's made by Presonus, admit it.

I have learned a lot about gear on GS, at least you "Musiclab" please don't stand in my way about the way I feel about some gear.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's most definitely not made by Presonus. ADL builds all their own gear. Anthony did license them a design (the ADL600 mic pre) which is a pretty amazing piece in it's own right, no matter who manufactures it.

Quote:
I have learned a lot about gear on GS, at least you "Musiclab" please don't stand in my way about the way I feel about some gear.
If you're learned a lot about gear on GS then you know how hard it can be to pick through facts when people who don't know what they're talking about decide to strongly assert themselves. "I've heard that they're built by presonus" or "I wonder if they're made by presonus?" would both have gotten your point across perfectly without spreading misinformation.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
It's most definitely not made by Presonus. ADL builds all their own gear. Anthony did license them a design (the ADL600 mic pre) which is a pretty amazing piece in it's own right, no matter who manufactures it.

If you're learned a lot about gear on GS then you https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...r/bold.gifknow how hard it can be to pick through facts when people who don't know what they're talking about decide to strongly assert themselves. "I've heard that they're built by presonus" or "I wonder if they're made by presonus?" would both have gotten your point across perfectly without spreading misinformation.
Well then this is starting to sound like a Akai/JL Cooper thing and that's not good. Akai should have never let JL Cooper do anything and slap a Akai name on it, prue junk, Cooper that is.
This is a low blow but if all on the planet was Presonus and Behringer, it would not be Presonus that I would keep, at least Behringer has improved.
Gear Addict

2 ADL 1500's here. Had them for years and only one has gone back for tweaking.
Very personal service.
I usually use them as four mono units. Each side has different brands of tubes and yes there is a difference.
Fun stuff.

As far as Presonus and Berringer. Since when has Berringer improved anything but a better way to infringe on others patents?
Quote:

Products
this might make clearer to you what Anthony's association is with presonus, and what other gear he makes. He's actually been making, and restoring gear for a lot longer than there's been a presonus. stand in your way about how you feel about gear, really? you can feel any way you want. It's when you post stuff that's not true that I have an issue.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Complete hogwash! Anthony DeMaria Labs' work is widely acknowledged as setting a standard of excellence. The ADL 1500 is one of a number of pieces that earned Anthony and ADL that reputation.

Quote:
LOL. Such hubris!

Going by your contribution on this thread, seems you've learned very little about gear on GS or anywhere else.

Old 27th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppermost View Post
Complete hogwash! Anthony DeMaria Labs' work is widely acknowledged as setting a standard of excellence. The ADL 1500 is one of a number of pieces that earned Anthony and ADL that reputation.

LOL. Such hubris!

Going by your contribution on this thread, seems you've learned very little about gear on GS or anywhere else.

Funny, So Funny.
Just stay with your PreSonus gear and keep on having "issues", I know i had them when I owned most of there stuff including ADL.
My gear might break tonight, but I have had ZERO issues with it and been running it for years.
Lighten Up.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny, So Funny.
Just stay with your PreSonus gear and keep on having "issues", I know i had them when I owned most of there stuff including ADL.
My gear might break tonight, but I have had ZERO issues with it and been running it for years.
Lighten Up.
But the adl1500 is an ADL product, right?
Is there any involvement whatsoever with Presonus?
If you know something we don't, please let us know.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
But the adl1500 is an ADL product, right?
Is there any involvement whatsoever with Presonus?
If you know something we don't, please let us know.
I know nothing about what Presonus does on the inside, just the gear and I have never used/owned a 1500.

Sorry no help on your questions.
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know nothing about what Presonus does on the inside, just the gear and I have never used/owned a 1500.

Sorry tone, sometimes I follow what you're saying but why did you bother to post a number of times when you know nothing about the company or the product?

Really, the only thing you're doing is confusing people who are looking for honest information. If you have a reason why please let us know, and if not then please just stop.
Lives for gear

I love my ADL 1500. If I could only have 1 compressor, it would probably be my choice because it's so versatile. Its pretty fast for a T4 based opto compressor and you can even put your whole mix through the unit without squashing it to death. It can be both warm and transparent at the same time, but will give you color when pushed. However, it takes a little practice to get it working its best and it can be quirky. The Gain Reduction knob seems to have a sweet spot around 4 out of 10 on the dial. If you go much below 3-4 you won't get much gain reduction at all. If you go much above 5-6 you can get some unpleasant sounds, but around 4 its killer. The unit is also very sensitive to gain staging and you have to watch that carefully or it will distort. It also puts out a lot of heat and you need to give it some room in your rack or you will damage it. Anthony once said that most of the service he has to do on those units comes from heat issues and you need to leave a space open above or below the unit and make sure the back of your rack gets some ventilation.

Although its a stereo unit, and I use both channels on stereo sources, I hardly ever use the stereo link mode. For whatever reason, I think using it as 2 independent channels sounds better. If there is ever any problem with the unit, Anthony himself will fix it! No one out there gives better product support.
Old 28th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
Sorry tone, sometimes I follow what you're saying but why did you bother to post a number of times when you know nothing about the company or the product?

Really, the only thing you're doing is confusing people who are looking for honest information. If you have a reason why please let us know, and if not then please just stop.
I said...... (repeat) I know nothing about the 1500, "again the 1500",though it seems like its following the same path as other gear made by Presonus.
Let's see, in the past I have had issues with Central Station (cheap piece of gear) ADL600, FirePod and some others I cannot remember, I don't recall having issues made by API, DanAlexander, John Hardy, JLM, Avalon, Most of A Designs stuuf, SSL, Studer, Trident, Apogee, Apple......The list is long.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Then I don't get it. This thread is about the ADL 1500.
And you say this:
Quote:
What exactly is your point? Are you talking about an entirely different product, made by Presonus?

You're very confusing here...
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said...... (repeat) I know nothing about the 1500, "again the 1500",though it seems like its following the same path as other gear made by Presonus.
Let's see, in the past I have had issues with Central Station (cheap piece of gear) ADL600, FirePod and some others I cannot remember, I don't recall having issues made by API, DanAlexander, John Hardy, JLM, Avalon, Most of A Designs stuuf, SSL, Studer, Trident, Apogee, Apple......The list is long.
ADL600 is made by Presonus, who licensed the design from ADL.

The 1500 has absolutely nothing to do with Presonus.
So your purpose on this thread hangs a big question mark over your head.
I would also say that most of the brands you listed have been mentioned by posters here as having problems one time or another. No gear is immune to malfunction, whether it be from shipping or wear and tear. Without exception.
People are talking about the good support on offer from ADL, which is all you can ask for from these manufacturers.
So again I don't get your point. At all.
📝 Reply