The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Josephson C700s on piano, room effects, blankets Condenser Microphones
Old 5th January 2011
Gear addict

Josephson C700s on piano, room effects, blankets

Recording piano......clearly the easiest instrument to tackle

I have been working on recording my Mason & Hamlin BB7 grand piano and just happened to luck out and see a Josephson C700s used here on Gearslutz, which I thought I'd try. I am recording through a Metric Halo ULN2. My hope with this mic was to get a holographic capture, easy tool for manipulating stereo width of the piano image, and something more transparent than the Schoeps cards that I tried first (just seemed like something cleaner would suit the piano better).

Now, being that this is a "residential application", shall we call it, I am working on the piano room itself. But, before going there, I made some recordings with the mic 2 foot above the strings, in mid/side, 2 feet back from the hammers, and fully covered the piano with duvets - folks have suggested that as one approach, albeit, sure, not the dream scenario. This approach yielded the first file. That's my baseline. (C700s_MS_Blanket, 24bit/44.1)

Am I likely to get vastly better results from ditching the blankets and going with acoustic panels, bass traps, and so on? If you are close mic'ing the piano, are blankets sufficient? Can bass modes from the room muck up a close mic'ed piano sound? I would happily treat the room, but if the net sound was something like what I already have here - then would rather spend the $$ on something else (or not at all).

Just to provide a contrast that lead me to the blankets while experimenting, I attached additional samples without blankets. The MS_NoBlanket file is just the mic parallel to the strings, mid/side, no treatment, blankets, etc. Stick mic in piano and go. Bluml_NoBlanket file is with the two fig8 capsules parallel to the lid, on full stick, just below the lid itself, foot back, somewhere in the bend of the piano. Also added a Blum_NoBlanket_Closer file, which moves the mic even closer, parallel to lid, now almost touching the outer edge of the lid itself. I tried a ton of positions, and these are among the better ones given what I have to work with.

For anyone interested to hear more on the mic, you can download some larger files, on the off-change this interests anyone. Certainly wasn't a ton of samples on here!

C700s MS Horiz.wav - 4shared.com - music and mp3 sharing - download
C700s BLein Horiz.wav - 4shared.com - music and mp3 sharing - download
Attached Files

C700s_MS_Blanket.wav (8.58 MB, 782 views)

C700s_MS_NoBlanket.wav (8.58 MB, 688 views)

C700s_Blum_NoBlanket.wav (9.34 MB, 647 views)

C700s_Blum_NoBlanket_Closer.wav (9.34 MB, 722 views)

Old 5th January 2011

there was a C700s for sale on here? damn, I missed that!

I haven't listened to you samples ( I am currently in a library), but it depends entirely on what your room sounds like and what type of sound you are after. Typically proper acoustic treatment will be better than covering the piano with blankets, but hey, whatever works is best.

matt
Old 5th January 2011
Gear addict

Just to clarify, that was a C700s in use here Had to keep things straight from some other mics I was testing across time, so I've labeled my files as such, but, yeah, some labeling spray in this context. In terms of the sound that I am going for, the room isn't so spacious, so close-ish mic'ing is the primary option. So, in the piano or fairly close.....Was just hoping for a sanity check on how these recordings sound roomwise, whether it sounds like a big issue, before going further down the acoustic treatment path.
Old 8th July 2011
Gear interested

MR H,

apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but have to thank you for posting these samples of the C700s. What a wonderful Microphone, I am definitely in full slut frenzy for this triple capsule Mylar momma.

nice playing 2!

rock on

the Bomber
Old 8th July 2011
Gear addict

I was pretty fortunate to see a used one pop up, that's for sure! To finish the story, I actually went ahead and put some bass traps in the piano room after all of this just to 'be sure'. I think it helped some. Still pull out blankets and use reverb at times, too.

I just finished up something at home where I used this mic into a metric halo uln8 on most everything (vocals, piano, ac guitar) - worked great. Here's a link for the curious.......The start of this one really shows the mic on piano and vocals. Works great on vocals (to the limits of the vocal quality :-) )....

Regret_Dont_Sing_M1_16_T117.wav - 4shared.com - music and mp3 sharing - download
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search