The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TSL-3 + Stereo Slate Dragon VS. Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor?
View Poll Results: TSL-3 + Stereo Slate Dragon VS. Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor?
TSL-3 + Dragon, Portico, Api, etc, be practical
8 Votes - 25.00%
Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, be a slut
22 Votes - 68.75%
My head is spinning too
2 Votes - 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

TSL-3 + Stereo Slate Dragon VS. Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor?

Whats your opinon on these?

Im need a clean opto / limiter and a character fet / vca / comps, for tracking, mixing and 2bus. My music style is rock-pop-electro, modern sounding.

Should I get the Inward Connections TSL-3 and add a couple of character compressors (Dragon? 5043? 2500? phoenix?) like my versatility mind says?, or should I get the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, like my inner slut says?

My wallet doesnt get a vote this time.

SHADOW HILLS

http://www.gearwire.com/media/shadow...sor-review.mov

TSL-3

Inward Connections TSL-3 Vac Rac Stereo Limiter | VintageKing.com

SLATE DRAGON

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The Shadow Hills MC is one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. I get so much use out of that compressor it is crazy. For what you're looking for, it is going to be hard to beat.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
The Shadow Hills MC is one of the best gear purchases I've ever made. I get so much use out of that compressor it is crazy. For what you're looking for, it is going to be hard to beat.
What do you use it on? is the opto part comparable to the TSL3 for vocals? is the vca part agressive enough for kick / snare? thanks
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I use it on damn near everything. It is my go to tracking/mixing comp for vocals. The opto is one of my favs. Use it on acoustic gtr a lot a well. It is Really good on drums. VCA on the mix is amazing. Opto on bass is amazing.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

is there anything the SHMC doesnt excel at? or, in which applications do you prefer other compressors?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

There's no way one can compare the Slate Dragons to the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor!!! It's like comparing a Toyota to a McClaren SLR722!

SHMC's got to be one of the top compressors ever. Will NEVER sell mine! heh
Old 4th January 2011
Oh man!

I hate myself on that video, please excuse me for my terrible English, or jump to the next one.

But I guess you know for what compressor got my vote. heh

I would never use my TSL3's on the Master Buss insert, my TSL3's work great some times on vocals, acoustic guitars, Background Vocals, some times they are the ticket for Drum Room.

My Mastering Compressor works great on the Master Buss insert.

I should try the Slate Dragon, let's see.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Old 4th January 2011
Mgr
Lives for gear

Since you asked i'll tell you, be a real slutz, buy them all heh

Start with Dragon, 5043, 2500, Phoenix SC, TSL-3 and you'll have
something to play with until you receive the SHMC.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I have a SHMC..but I've also had lots of fun with the 2500, Pheonix and various Manleys and Urei's...so I say variety is good.
Nothing beats the look of that SHMC though

Cheers
John NYMO Nyman
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

I own the TSL-3 & SHMC. Both rock, but are very different beasts... If I had to pick one it would probably be the shadow hills, just because it looks way cooler thumbsup I'm not sure about the dragon yet.... have heard mixed reviews from a few people i know / trust.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Oh man!

I hate myself on that video, please excuse me for my terrible English, or jump to the next one.

But I guess you know for what compressor got my vote. heh

I would never use my TSL3's on the Master Buss insert, my TSL3's work great some times on vocals, acoustic guitars, Background Vocals, some times they are the ticket for Drum Room.

My Mastering Compressor works great on the Master Buss insert.

I should try the Slate Dragon, let's see.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Your english is fine bro. Have you used the SHMC on vox?

I want to get the TSL for vox and acoustic guitars, but if the SHMC works on them, that makes my decision way easier.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear
SHMC all the way.. At least two times a day I look around the studio to find stuff to sell to get that piece..
Since the day I've heard that thing I can't stop obsessing about it for how good does it sounds.
If you can afford it don't even think about it, just get it
Old 9th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohami View Post
Your english is fine bro. Have you used the SHMC on vox?

I want to get the TSL for vox and acoustic guitars, but if the SHMC works on them, that makes my decision way easier.
I've never used my SH on vocals, should try. It lives on my 2 buss master.

The TSL does something no other compressor can, I found it very unique.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict
I use my SH for almost everything, mostly master and drum buses,el guitars etc.

I waited a long time for it and it was worth the wait...

I had Vac Rac for about a year. I liked it, but not too much, so I sold it.

I prefer a pair of 176's as a tube comp/limiter to TSL.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

How long was the wait to receive the SHMC?
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Addict
It was over 18 months, but it was at the begining of production. I have No 10.

It is now much faster, 2-3 weeks.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Guru

I have SHMC #2.still one of the coolest boxes in the rack.
waited over a year.worth it.
the TSL rules on ac gtrs,strings and vx but use it very little on the whole mix.
looking forward to hearing a dragon
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Have SHMC and TSL-3.
sometimes on sounds simply more pleasing than the other on the 2 bus or in mastering. depends on what you're looking for. SH is absolutely top of the line (except one issue, that is of no relevance though: never turn up the FET gain to the max! the unit will output a very loud sinewave, if you do so! no joke! tested it on two different SHMCs. seems to be some sor of self-oscillating circuits or XFMs). The opto part in the SH sounds very different cmpared to the TSL!
SH: soft and round and huge sounding, a bit slower and much more neutral than an LA2A, e.g.; but you can definitely her it heavily working, if the meter shows more than 2dB GR!
TSL: fast, really fast attack! more "glue", more warmth. nearly impossible to hear with "normal" GRs of -2 to -5dB on the meter.
I wouldn't use the TSL on every mix I do. But I would use the SH on every mix I do. But I'm glad I have the option. Get both!!
I heard from a friend who tried one, the Slate would be too noisy for 2 bus and / or mastering. I'm wondering how the new Lindell comp sounds on 2bus, the demos on the www sound really VERY promising!
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I have SHMC #2.still one of the coolest boxes in the rack.
waited over a year.worth it.
the TSL rules on ac gtrs,strings and vx but use it very little on the whole mix.
looking forward to hearing a dragon
According to VK he wait for the SHMC seems to be 3 weeks now, so Im lucky. Do you also use TSL3 on vocals?
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
SH: soft and round and huge sounding, a bit slower and much more neutral than an LA2A, e.g.; but you can definitely her it heavily working, if the meter shows more than 2dB GR!
TSL: fast, really fast attack! more "glue", more warmth. nearly impossible to hear with "normal" GRs of -2 to -5dB on the meter.
Excellent, thanks, thats the kind of data I was looking for. So, if the opto in SHMC is a rounder with mojo, and the TLS3 is a very transparent limiter, I guess I can use both at the same time? I think I´ll have to pull the hyperslut and get both.

The Lindell x17 is sexy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search