The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preferences for 2" Tape Tracking Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3rd January 2011
Preferences for 2" Tape Tracking

Which is your preferred method of tape tracking if you had a 2" Studer deck with the option of Dolby SR noise reduction?
  1. 30 ips, no Dolby SR
  2. 15 ips, no Dolby SR
  3. 30 ips, with Dolby SR
  4. 15 ips, with Dolby SR
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

15ips, with SR

15ips w/SR.
if the machine and SR is calibrated.

i dont have SR. I run 30ips.
C
Old 3rd January 2011
with elevated tape like RMG 900, I don't have a noise problem, so I run 30 with no NR. I've never felt the need to go buy dolby. if you want to the extra bottom run 15 with dolby, it's just more cal work
Old 4th January 2011
Yeah, certainly the tape is not as noisy as it used to be. I suppose it all depends on how well one's deck is maintained. I tend to think that Dolby noise reduction is good, though some would argue that it adds a slightly digital edge to some recordings.
Old 4th January 2011

I do a lot of acoustic music so 15/SR is my usual preference but when the music is harder (rock) 30/no NR is usually the choice.
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
when the music is harder (rock) 30/no NR is usually the choice.
Any reason why you prefer no NR on rock?
Old 4th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Any reason why you prefer no NR on rock?
Yes. To me 30/no NR sounds a little rawer than 15/SR which has a more pristine character. Rock should sound raw.
Some odd things can happen with extremely loud impact sounds when using SR so no NR is easier to manage these sounds (kick, snare and bass come to mind).
Hiss isn't a problem with rock so it isn't an issue.
Slamming levels to tape with rock can be part of the sound. SR doesn't react the same way to slammed levels.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 4th January 2011
Very good points, on the whole. I'm recording a synth pop album with an analog drum machine, an analog polysynth, and a digital polysynth. Hard to tell which format is best for this genre...
Old 4th January 2011
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Very good points, on the whole. I'm recording a synth pop album with an analog drum machine, an analog polysynth, and a digital polysynth. Hard to tell which format is best for this genre...

Dolby SR @ 15ips

Don't kill the levels. You don't hafta.

Grain of salt.

Just where I'd start on hearing the description of the genre.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

I've mostly used 15ips CCIR/IEC witch is the European curve. Its quieter like 30ips AES but with a really nice bottom and twice as much tape time. I do do some work at 30ips as well, but less in the last few years, though a session last week was 30ips AES.

It's really odd, because often when I'm tracking I prefer 30ips, but mixes seem to come together easier at 15ips...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I have primarily used a Studer A820 and have pretty much stuck at 15 ips using Quantegy GP9. GP9 is rock solid. Doesn't shed at all.
Old 4th January 2011
Used to love using Ampex/Quantegy 499 or the old 3M 996 with SR @ 15ips......

Was a pain to do drop-ins though - learnt my wings with this setup.....

ahhhh the good ole days heh
Old 5th January 2011
Interesting how "rock" seems to be better without noise reduction whereas almost everything else sounds better with it.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

15 ips, no noise reduction, IEC eq. We use RMGI 900 a lot but also RMGI 911. We haven't used Quantegy or Emtec for a while.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenafria View Post
15 ips, no noise reduction, IEC eq. We use RMGI 900 a lot but also RMGI 911. We haven't used Quantegy or Emtec for a while.

Your studio looks amazing, exactly the kind of place I like
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

That would be....Studer A820 at 15 ips using Quantegy GP9.. Running this in session right now...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

15ips CCIR here as well, no NR. A little sketchy with the 24tk heads ( you have to be more carefull with the noise) but a no brainer with the 16tk heads.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Your studio looks amazing, exactly the kind of place I like
Obrigado!

It was built and designed by Stephen Pickford of eHz ltd. I've been very happy working here for the past ten years.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Tracking on an MCI JH24 (cal'd at +6) at 30ips no NR, mix down to 1/4" Ampex ATR102 at 15ips no NR = a thing of beauty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search