The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC - SCM25 vs K&H O300 vs PMC TB2 S AII Studio Monitors
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

ATC - SCM25 vs K&H O300 vs PMC TB2 S AII

I am going to invest in some hi-end nearfield/midfield monitors and I´m pretty interested in the Klein and Hummel O300 monitors.

The similar looking ATC SCM25 is also a contender as a Mastering house here in Stockholm is praising the ATC line but they are somewhat "overpriced" ?

Also the PMC TB2 S AII seems pretty interesting but I am a little bit scared of the tiny 6.5" woofer.

Dynaudio BM15 seems great too but I guess O300 plays in another league?

Any input is welcome !

Using Yamaha NS10´s with Hafler P3000 and sub at the moment and will use them as my "B" listening in the future.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Both the K+H and ATC will be excellent and both are on my short list (the others you mention are not).

I would not say that the ATCs are “overpriced", but they are more expensive than equivalent units by K+H. The reason - ATC are a small dedicated company, their units use flat ribbon cable in the voice-coil which is edge-wound, they are made on small numbers, made in England, etc..

I went round the ATC factory about a year ago and saw it all first-hand.

K+H (now Neumann) are part of a much larger company, made in larger quantities in a factory on Ireland. The economies of scale help to keep manufacturing costs down to produce a superb unit at a more reasonable cost.

Which is better? I can't say, you will have to listen and make up your own mind. But I have heard both K+H and ATC and love them both.

Oops - just noticed you mention the PMC TB2 as well. Sorry, this is also on my short list and I have heard this as well.

I think my own personal choice would be: 1) O300, 2) ATC, 3) PMC TB2 - but it would be close as all three are excellent.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for your input !

If O300 is your number one it would be an easy choice for you to choose the O300 instead of ATC 25 because K+H is also the cheaper ones, correct?
Then I am even more convinced to go for the o300´s.

Do you have compared the PMC TB2 with the new TB2S-AII monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Both the K+H and ATC will be excellent and both are on my short list (the others you mention are not).

I would not say that the ATCs are “overpriced", but they are more expensive than equivalent units by K+H. The reason - ATC are a small dedicated company, their units use flat ribbon cable in the voice-coil which is edge-wound, they are made on small numbers, made in England, etc..

I went round the ATC factory about a year ago and saw it all first-hand.

K+H (now Neumann) are part of a much larger company, made in larger quantities in a factory on Ireland. The economies of scale help to keep manufacturing costs down to produce a superb unit at a more reasonable cost.

Which is better? I can't say, you will have to listen and make up your own mind. But I have heard both K+H and ATC and love them both.

Oops - just noticed you mention the PMC TB2 as well. Sorry, this is also on my short list and I have heard this as well.

I think my own personal choice would be: 1) O300, 2) ATC, 3) PMC TB2 - but it would be close as all three are excellent.

Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

My trouble is is that I like all three ranges very much (and Harbeth as well).

I have not yet heard the ATC 25, though I have heard both the 20pro and the 10.

My favourite PMC is the AML2.

My own monitors are the Harbeth M30A which are about the same size as the O300, but I have had these for several years and before the K+H were readily available in the UK.

My small monitors are the K+H O110D and I searched for several years to get these as I could not find anything else that was a small, neutral, trustworthy active monitor (the Harbeth M20 I liked were passive only). I may change these for the new Neumann KH120 as these are about the same size, are better I hear and go lower as well - yet to hear them, though.

Mounting may influence you as the O300 are horizontal mount and the others are vertical.

I do like the ATC edge-wound drivers. They are *very* heavy but extremely well controlled and keep the voice-coil on the magnetic gap at all times.

Sorry, a lot to think about - but if quality is balanced against price I think the O300 come out top.

If you are in the UK I think that demo units on all three are available for trial. I certainly know that Sennheiser UK have K+H demo units and PMC also have demo units (I borrowed the PMCs myself last year), not sure about the ATCs, but would have thought that units would be available.

I hope this helps.

Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well now the choice is only between the PMC TB2S AII and Klein & Hummel O300.
The K&H´s are slightly more expensive but let´s say price is no issue.
Which pair to pick?
The PMC`s seem to be praised everywhere but the O300´s get some cons due to the built in limiter which kicks in even when not playing extremely loud?

For me I like the design of the O300´s more...
Old 5th January 2011
Lux
Gear Maniac

Check the Event Opal to!
Old 21st February 2011
I just traded up to o300's from PMC TB2S-A's.
I'm very happy with the move. mainly for the improvement in the lower mids and for a pretty flat 35Hz-50Hz, but i do miss the purity of Bass that the TB2S-A's had. Also the perception of bass response appears to remains the same on the PMC's at any monitoring level. I'd love to have both but don't have the studio space for two pairs. I really like the o300s but do miss the PMC's and would happily mix on them anytime.
Old 21st February 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

What about Focal Twin 6 be or Focal sm 9
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

You could be happy with either.
I personally own ATC SCM20SL powered by a Bryston 4BSST. Very nice, but either will do.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Chuck Ainley and Ed Chearny both told me the ATC 25's were the best they've ever heard.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

I have heard the new ATC monitors.
They are very good but told me nothing more than the 0300D monitors. I will stick with K+H.
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac
great post
I am looking into changing my monitors and I am
considering the same 3 monitors.
I may hold off to check out the new Trident monitors.
Anyone else out there that has heard all three monitors I would
love to hear from you.
thanks
dave
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I´ve got the best deal here in Sweden on the PMC TB2S AII so I bought them.
I am satisfied, but not blown away...
Should be interesting to check out the o300 side by side in the future.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I'm in a similar situation... Anyone knows when Neumann is planning to rebadge the K&H line (and introduce the new KH120 2-way and surround ready sub)? Thanks
Old 21st May 2011
Gear Maniac

k+h o300 are simply amazing. I got them 6 months ago. at first i wasn't sure. I was using the adam p11 and only wanted to buy some subs. my dealer told me to forget the brauner microphone I also wanted to buy and get a cheaper one and get the o300s. i need lots of time to get used to monitors for working on them but when I listen to music now I can't believe how much fun it is.

I double check with the ns10 too and it can be a great help to see what the mix will sound like over crappy speakers without bass. Especially as I got carried away with the bass way too much cause I wasn't used to it :D

I find that the mixes translate well just like they did when mixing on ns10 but without ear fatigue. I could sit in front of those speakers for hours on end without my ears getting tired(at high volumes even). I can hear how the productions i am listening to are made. I learn every day.

I am doing bandproductions and filmscoring. they really help me work faster. I feel humbled to sit between those two things.
The atc_s are supposed to be excellent as well. but they are more expensive so I didn't even bother testing them.

If I were you I'd just get them.
OR probably wait for a few months when neumann introduces new products. then see what the prices are like. I have the feeling they might be less expensive..
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

I have the PMC TB2A's and love then to death. They are a step above the Twins when it comes to clarity and depth, but the separation is better in the Twins due to their 2 1/2 design. Though I love the PMC's the K&h are. Little better due to their 3 way design though they cost more.
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear Addict

I agree with them. I feel like a lucky bastard every day that I can listen to music through these

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc View Post
Chuck Ainley and Ed Chearny both told me the ATC 25's were the best they've ever heard.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

I worked with K&Hs and mm27s for years
and recently switched to scm 25s,
which are a step up to both IMHO.
Old 23rd January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
I worked with K&Hs and mm27s for years
and recently switched to scm 25s,
which are a step up to both IMHO.
Do you have a sub with them?
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjunction View Post
Do you have a sub with them?
No need for it -
the 25 s go quite low
and I´m no hip hop guy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search