The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Josephson C716? Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Josephson C716?

This looks to be a new model - 700a/s capsule, cardiod only, with the C715 body and grille. Anyone try one yet or is it too new?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

info here seems is a cardioid version of the c715

Josephson C716 Cardioid Condenser Features Capsule From C715 (Video) | Gearwire
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

hmm. In the vid, he say's it's from the 700 series (the capsule "is derived from the C12 (CK12) design)" as opposed to the capsule in the 715 which he refers to as a completely different animal (single diaphram that is C37-ish).

Josephson C716 Cardioid Condenser Features Capsule From C715 (Video) | Gearwire
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

So I'm guessing this is just like a 715, but without that little pattern switch via screw-driver on the back?

I'm guessing these have a little more "character" than the 700?

I know the 700 is supposed to be amazing and larger than life one-of-a-kind amazing mic, but it is very transparent and clear from what I understand.
And maybe it is transformerless?

The 715/6 I believe have a lundahl transformer.

I'm very interested in this mic, and I hope the price point doesn't reach far beyond $3K.
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Head

Hi
C716 is different from the C715 in a few ways:
-capsule is cardioid only version of the same large diaphragm capsule in the C700A; in the C715 its a totally different design. Apart from a different tonal quality the cardioid in the C715 behaves differently because it is a single diaphragm.
-The C716 has a transformerless output, whereas the C715 has a custom nickel core lundahl transformer. Also the C715 has a lower output than the transformerless designs (on purpose)

Michiel
Joystick Audio
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Josephson 700's

I have tested both the 700 and the limited edition model they made a few years back . They are very nice mic's . Articulate and defined .

The issue that exists with testing out new products is for each of us to
examine them for what they are and not to compare them to other brands .

They are truly wonderful and would be a serious addition to anyones mic collection .
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Head

Is the 716 for sale yet?

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratafusion View Post
Is the 716 for sale yet?
YES.
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Head

where?
Old 28th August 2011
member no 666

I talked to Kelly at Josephson last Friday [today is Sunday]. He said they're waiting on some parts to come in [that should have been in like a month or so ago... ahhh the wonderful world of boutique manufacturing!!!].

They had some units that went to resellers in the EU and some stock they held back in the US [to support the EU resellers]... once the parts come in they will free up the current stock for US resellers... at which point he'll be able to send some out to get checked out [as we go back a long way... I'll get to jump up a few spots on the list].

My best guess will be sometime in the first couple weeks of September should see the first few coming out of the factory to US distribution... but that's just a guess.

It should probably also be mentioned that the amplifier is more like the amplifier in the 720 / 617 set in that its a transformerless amplifier [which gives a VERY linear / fast response. As the 720 is one of the most astounding sounding microphones I've ever experienced... I am seriously looking forward to hearing the 716!!!

Peace
Old 30th August 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks Fletcher.

I'm also excited to hear both the 715 and 716. David and co. have yet to let me down. I'm honestly anticipating buying both of them since I don't have any heavyweight LDCs of my own.
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
It should probably also be mentioned that the amplifier is more like the amplifier in the 720 / 617 set in that its a transformerless amplifier [which gives a VERY linear / fast response.
Correction: The C720 used a transformer output amplifier similar to (2x) e22S. The 700A/700S uses the transformerless amp.

Somewhat off-topic -- I'm looking to purchase a C720 for my studio if anyone wants to part with one...
Old 30th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
As the 720 is one of the most astounding sounding microphones I've ever experienced...
Is the mic on the same level as the u47, M49, Elam 251, C12?
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
Level? Those are older mics with tubes.
The 700's are "FET" & very modern with state of the art capsules.

The 715 supposed to be in the "C-37" single diaphragm tradition & the 716 in the "C-12" dual type.
Old 31st August 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malini View Post
Absolutely - as noted, very different in nature, but easily on the same plane of "quality". They could all battle head to head and any one of them will be very able to accomplish your goals.

Peace
Old 22nd September 2011
I have been using the C716 here in the last few days, and it is absolutely, one phenomenal specimen from Josephsons Magic Mic Shop. WHOA.
Old 27th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
I'm very interested in this mic, and I hope the price point doesn't reach far beyond $3K.
The price for the c716 is $3995.
Old 6th November 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

Is the 716 mid-forward? I am trying to avoid that. So I was leaning towards a more expensive mic - like the Tele 251 - perhaps even the AC version. I really like the U67 sample that was recently posted on this Board. I assume this has more top end than that U67 sample - which is fine with me - but it is the mids that I am worried about.

Any comments? Thanks.
Old 6th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Is the 716 mid-forward? I am trying to avoid that. So I was leaning towards a more expensive mic - like the Tele 251 - perhaps even the AC version. I really like the U67 sample that was recently posted on this Board. I assume this has more top end than that U67 sample - which is fine with me - but it is the mids that I am worried about.

Any comments? Thanks.
To my ear; There is not any hyped response anywhere in this microphone. It's incredibly 3d sounding. Quick, present, pristine but soft and full too. It has a great "pliability" aspect - great low off axis color. A bright, clean microphone that has depth, insane and beautiful, no gorgeous clarity, with a non fatiguing tone/action. Warm yes, but Not a woolly sound, more of a soulful one. Id guess that If you turned your back on playback you'd think the source was in the room with you.
Old 6th November 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

Roc - thanks for taking the time with a wonderful description. Is the bolded part a typo? (the word "no" perhaps should not be there?)
THANKS,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
. . . A bright, clean microphone that has depth, insane and beautiful, no gorgeous clarity, with a non fatiguing tone/action. . . ..
Old 6th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Roc - thanks for taking the time with a wonderful description. Is the bolded part a typo? (the word "no" perhaps should not be there?)
THANKS,
AB
"Beautiful, no wait,,,,that word is not good enough alone,gorgeous is better, but still gotta use both, even though it won't do the mic, or Josephson any justice"
Old 7th November 2011
Quote:
"Beautiful, no wait,,,,that word is not good enough alone,gorgeous is better, but still gotta use both, even though it won't do the mic, or Josephson any justice"
I think he was referring to your punctuation As written it means what it says: the microphone has 'no gorgeous clarity' rather than 'it has gorgeous clarity'.

Pedant switch off...
Old 7th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think he was referring to your punctuation As written it means what it says: the microphone has 'no gorgeous clarity' rather than 'it has gorgeous clarity'.

Pedant switch off...
I do hope my extended explanation helped answer the question.
Old 9th November 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

It did IMHO.

Quote:
I do hope my extended explanation helped answer the question.
Old 20th December 2011
Josephson C716 audio example

I've been using the C716 here in the last few days and I am still in awe of this marvelous machine! I got a chance to use it for Upright bass, on a jazz recording yesterday, it was spectacular there, but on Friday night I was able to get a quick female vocal recording of a contemporary jazz piece, after we finished our session. I must thank Courtney, who has an amazing voice, and say that she is an extremely talented artist. The signal chain I used was a DW FEARN VT2, patched into my Apogee Symphony I/O. Nothing else. Check it out;
Attached Files

CourtneyJazzSampleDry-02.wav (2.83 MB, 3253 views)

Old 20th December 2011
Gear Head

yes it's fantastic! I've recently been mucking around with our (Joystick) demo mic. Pristine sound and it takes any processing very well without losing consistency. Its different again from the C700, tighter lows for one thing, although it's clearly in the same family.

And although it works wonders on voice, it is equally suitable for acoustic guitars, contrabass, and i bet many other instruments.
Perhaps I can put an acoustic guitar track online unprocessed, need to check

michiel
Joystick Audio
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Nut

would love to here an acoustic guitar through it.
any soundclips?
Old 20th December 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupunk View Post
would love to here an acoustic guitar through it.
any soundclips?
Why don't you call your favorite supplier of the mic... set it up in your room... get an acoustic guitar player you know, with an acoustic guitar you can hear in your room for reference and give it a go? That would certainly be a far more relevant delivery than a guitar player you don't know with a guitar you've never heard through a microphone [pre-amp, etc., etc., etc.] that is a mystery to you.

Way too many overall variables to be anything other than a "neat recording".

Peace
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

A sample is better than nothing. I like a lot the voice sample offered by Roc : smooth and detailed, without any harsh resonance. But two samples from the same source, one recorded with the new mic and one recorded with a reference mic known from most people here, a U87 for instance, would be much more informative.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search