The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ideal converters? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Which converters are ideal if you have clasp and a LFAC?

We decided that for the AD our best bet is the IZ ADA nyquist, 24 channels at 96k to get the sound into tools after the clasp with an A800 mkiii

For the 120 channels of DA into the console we decided on SSL alphalink boxes as they are "superanalogue" clean.

Any opinions? What would you choose?

We looked at the JCF and Burl units but decided that these units add colour and that with a decent console and lots of outboard it may be undesirable to add extra colour at the converter stage. Woud you agree?

Greg
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam

We decided that for the AD our best bet is the IZ ADA nyquist, 24 channels at 96k to get the sound into tools after the clasp with an A800 mkiii

For the 120 channels of DA into the console we decided on SSL alphalink boxes as they are "superanalogue" clean.

Any opinions? What would you choose?

We looked at the JCF and Burl units but decided that these units add colour and that with a decent console and lots of outboard it may be undesirable to add extra colour at the converter stage. Woud you agree?

Greg
Bump?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Apogee DA16X's would be an option I guess or the Symphony I/O's with multiple DA cards, I am not sure the Burl DA cards are really that coloured...

But since you need 120 channels you are probably looking for a more cost effective solution.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H
Apogee DA16X's would be an option I guess or the Symphony I/O's with multiple DA cards, I am not sure the Burl DA cards are really that coloured...

But since you need 120 channels you are probably looking for a more cost effective solution.
We have enough DA out with the SSL alphalink boxes, just wondered what you guys thought the "ideal" solution is? Without being silly and having 60 Weiss DAC boxes!
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post

Greg
Burl DACs do not add color. Burl ADCs have some coloration, but also capture more analog-sounding musicality than more "transparent" converters. Why are you using CLASP in the first place - for analog color? I would think Burls would be more appropriate for your aesthetic. They are designed to capture more analog color. Seems like the perfect match to me...

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx

Burl DACs do not add color. Burl ADCs have some coloration, but also capture more analog-sounding musicality than more "transparent" converters. Why are you using CLASP in the first place - for analog color? I would think Burls would be more appropriate for your aesthetic. They are designed to capture more analog color. Seems like the perfect match to me...

Its not so much the AD side, were more than happy with the IZ ADA, you can really hit it hot after the tape, it sounds amazing without the clasp!

We decided that the "superanalogue" SSL units were ideal units to have to feed the 88RS on mixdown. If the Burl DA cards are super clean then they would have been a possibility.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

I like the Apogee's
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone
I like the Apogee's
Are you using a LFAC?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are you using a LFAC?
No.........Sorry.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

For 120 channels of DA conversion you are talking about five "24 channel" units plus the interfaces to handle it all. You say that you want the Radar AD to operate at 96k sample rate, what sample rate will you using from the Pro Tools HD rig to the DA's? You have a limited choice of interfaces that can handle that many channels at once and even less that will work with Pro Tools HD. Don't forget to look at the Fairlight options as they are king of the hill for high track count interfaces but they are not inexpensive. I'm not too familar with the 24 channel SSL units but they have a good rep here on the forum and I thought they had MADI interfaces to work with them to get you your high channel counts. I'm running 72 channels of Alesis HD24XR's with RME 9652 PCI interfaces. Used prices for each 24 channels of that setup is roughly $1500 and Jim Williams here can do an upgrade to the HD24XR's that per his words make them sound better than the Radar. The problem with that setup is it uses ADAT lightpipe so you are limited to 44.1k or 48k sample rate. As soon as you up the sample rate to 96k you halve the channels. The RME software now allows up to six interface cards in the same computer for 144 channels though I don't know how well things work with that many channels. You are just going to have to look at your exact needs and make up the short list of options that will fit it. One more thing to look into is how good is the interface's software as in how many channels will it really do at once under full load and low latency? That's where some of these setups really come up short.
Old 4th January 2011
Hmmm, what do you Slutz figure to be the best converters to run into a PT192 digital then?

I'm open to new ideas!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr
For 120 channels of DA conversion you are talking about five "24 channel" units plus the interfaces to handle it all. You say that you want the Radar AD to operate at 96k sample rate, what sample rate will you using from the Pro Tools HD rig to the DA's? You have a limited choice of interfaces that can handle that many channels at once and even less that will work with Pro Tools HD. Don't forget to look at the Fairlight options as they are king of the hill for high track count interfaces but they are not inexpensive. I'm not too familar with the 24 channel SSL units but they have a good rep here on the forum and I thought they had MADI interfaces to work with them to get you your high channel counts. I'm running 72 channels of Alesis HD24XR's with RME 9652 PCI interfaces. Used prices for each 24 channels of that setup is roughly $1500 and Jim Williams here can do an upgrade to the HD24XR's that per his words make them sound better than the Radar. The problem with that setup is it uses ADAT lightpipe so you are limited to 44.1k or 48k sample rate. As soon as you up the sample rate to 96k you halve the channels. The RME software now allows up to six interface cards in the same computer for 144 channels though I don't know how well things work with that many channels. You are just going to have to look at your exact needs and make up the short list of options that will fit it. One more thing to look into is how good is the interface's software as in how many channels will it really do at once under full load and low latency? That's where some of these setups really come up short.
Latency is much of an issue when you have a Neve 88RS, you monitor through the desk with no latency what so ever.

We have SSL Deltalink units that convert HD to MADI, ive had 192 in and out at 96k running (2 satalite linked HD7 rigs)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardpike View Post
Hmmm, what do you Slutz figure to be the best converters to run into a PT192 digital then?

I'm open to new ideas!
How many channels do you need each way?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony IO
Lynx Aurora
Lucid 88192
Millenia Media AD596
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
How many channels do you need each way?
8 in 8 out would do.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

IZ converters are the best I have used.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ideal converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental
IZ converters are the best I have used.
You tried many?

Im sure our SSL's will be way good enough to feed the desk for mixes!
Old 6th January 2011
Lavry Golds and Blues here but for multi-channel you might want to look into the Digital Audio Denmark options with customizable I/O. The earlier 2 ch 2402 and 8 ch 2408 were certainly excellent, sonically.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You tried many?

Im sure our SSL's will be way good enough to feed the desk for mixes!
i have owned several and tried many.
apogee, lynx, digi 192, MOTU, RME, Alesis HD 24XR, DIGI 888, DIGI 002, Black Lion Mod 002..............

never tried the SSL's or the other uber high end stuff like LAvry or Mytek. im sure all of these are fine sounding tools.................

of everything i have actually heard, the RADAR is the best.
it was shocking to me how much better stuff started sounding at my studio when i switched from apogee's to the RADAR..............

i dont need to do any more comparisons to make up my mind about converters.
the RADAR just sounds right to me.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

I think, you should have a look to the LAKE PEOPLE's stuffs. They look ****ty but are always on top, converters, preamp etc.. And the price are very sweet!

their AD converters in rack systems (EADC V54) are from the F45's generation and you'll be really amazed if you can read the German...
96 kHz contra 48 kHz - Hörtests am Erich-Thienhaus-Institut in Detmold

I use myself an ADC C440 and wouldn't change it for nothing else!
thumbsup
Old 6th January 2011
Or just translate it with Google

In English
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Jazz!, View Post
I think, you should have a look to the LAKE PEOPLE's stuffs. They look ****ty but are always on top, converters, preamp etc.. And the price are very sweet!

their AD converters in rack systems (EADC V54) are from the F45's generation and you'll be really amazed if you can read the German...
96 kHz contra 48 kHz - Hörtests am Erich-Thienhaus-Institut in Detmold

I use myself an ADC C440 and wouldn't change it for nothing else!
thumbsup
Unless if forgotten everything I did at university, that experiment is a load of crap!

Its like a 3rd year high school science project!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless if forgotten everything I did at university, that experiment is a load of crap!

Its like a 3rd year high school science project!
Probably lost in translation.Id go with what you posted in your op.Cost effective and so on bla.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search