The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso P-12 vs-- AA CM-12 Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Peluso P-12 vs-- AA CM-12

Here's I link many may have seen.
Sessions With Slau » Blog Archive » Advanced Audio CM-12 Mod
You'll find another link there that shoots-out the CM-12 against other mics.
Very interesting. I'm curious of anyone's experience with the Peluso 12's and 47's against the similar AA offerings. I'm seriously looking at this CM-12. I called Dave Thomas yesterday and he kindly called me back from holidays in Mexico. He was extremely helpful with my questions. I remember him as highly respected engineer and tech at Ocean Studios years back here in Vancouver.
Anyone that has heard the Peluso's and the AA's and can chime in---I would truly appreciate it! Thanks
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The CM12 is a great mic! I have had the standard and now have the SE. The SE sounds amazing.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Peluso P-12 vs-- AA CM-12

Bump on this thread. I am curious as to all the AA mics as well. I have no experience withe vintage originals and I am wondering if it's a satisfactory replacement for the price that AA offers them? Tempted to sell my 414 and get a cm12
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, its interesting to me that jaquire king is now endorsing the AA mics. He usually works in some of the nicest studios and has access to great mics. That ought to say some thing. Its probably not just the AA's sound great but a little bit of the fact that vintage mics are highly overpriced. If you are a collector you probably don't agree but, if you are a working guy who uses these mics as tools then, great tools help get great tracks.

In the comparisons that I have done with the AA and a large number of other mics its never that one mic sounds bad. Its just which one sounds better for the application. Happily the Advanced Audio mics win more often then not. They have been a great investment.

As far as the difference between the Puleso and the CM12se? Not sure, they both use the same capsule. I'm sure they have small circuit differences but I am also sure I could use either one to get great tracks. I just happen to have the CM12se in my tool box.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

CM12

Hi Jay, thanks for that. All the best for the New Year.

I can tell you that our CM12SE was used on the last Kings of Leon CD for Keyboards and some percussion I believe.

Our CM47SE was used on all the BG vocals.

The capsule in the Peluso P12 and our AA CM12 are machined to the same spec's on the same milling machines and have the same 6 micron thick diaphragms.

John has a method of getting the tensioning very accurate and his capsules are very consistent between units. Our stock capsules vary a bit more between units but no more so than the original C12 capsules made in the 60's. We select and test each capsule in our CM12 before shipping.

The Peluso capsule is skinned and tension by John Peluso and the capsules in our CM12 are skinned and tensioned in Shanghai. However, we select our capsules at our shop before shipping to clients so they are as close as possible to each other and the original C12 response.

The capsule we use is a true dual diaphragm, dual back-plate edge fed capsule and has 117 holes drilled into each back-plate with 53 drilled through from each side into the common chamber. This provides a smoother response in Cardiod compared to 80 hole C12 copies. The reason these capsules are more reasonable now than in the 60's is not because of inferior manufacturing but because in today's World the milling machines are controlled by computers which when programmed correctly provide more accurate results between units in a more efficient manner than hand drilling.

The P12 uses an original ELA M251 type circuit with the more elegant 9 pattern switch of the C12 on the power supply.

Our CM12 uses the same tube but we utilize the second half of the tube as a CF/line driver. This allows us to remove the cathode bypass capacitor in the front end and the circuit runs more linear plus has 4db more headroom. The CF output stage circuit which was used in the 60's in very high end HiFi tube preamps made by Macintosh has at least 3db more headroom that the traditional vintage plate output circuit used by AKG and Peluso. This allows us to use a lower ratio transformer and reduce the loss in the output transformer by 6db. The lower the ratio of the transformer the less effect the transformer has on the overall sound signature. Also, the lower output impedance of the CF output stage allows the transformer to recover more quickly from large transients.

The difference in circuitry is not really audible on vocals but on sources with faster transients like Grand Piano, percussion and drums our 2 stage circuit can provide a bit more transparency.

However, the body, shock-mount, cable and 9-pattern power supply are identical between the two microphones.

I only wish that I had our CM12's and CM47's available during my tenure at Ocean Sound during the 70's and 80's.

I will be back at the shop next Tuesday January 11th after a quick stop over in Edmonton to visit my friend Doug McCann.

Doug was the master carpenter I worked with in 1979 when we built Ocean Sound in Vancouver where we recorded, KD Lang and Roy Orbison, Jazz flutist Paul Horn, Chilliwack, The Headpins, Vancouver Punk band DOA and where we also did a couple of sessions with famous producers Bill Porter, Bob Rock and Jeff Skunk Baxter. Doug is also a very experienced engineer.

Doug and I recorded nearly 200 live Jazz radio shows together in the 80's and we are planning on doing a live recording project later this year which we will use Advanced Audio microphones on.

Thanks to everyone for their support over the last year.
Dave Thomas

Advanced Audio Microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Here's I link many may have seen.
Sessions With Slau » Blog Archive » Advanced Audio CM-12 Mod
You'll find another link there that shoots-out the CM-12 against other mics.
Very interesting. I'm curious of anyone's experience with the Peluso 12's and 47's against the similar AA offerings. I'm seriously looking at this CM-12. I called Dave Thomas yesterday and he kindly called me back from holidays in Mexico. He was extremely helpful with my questions. I remember him as highly respected engineer and tech at Ocean Studios years back here in Vancouver.
Anyone that has heard the Peluso's and the AA's and can chime in---I would truly appreciate it! Thanks
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

AA mics are incredibly good value, and deliver a lot of the gorgeous qualities of vintage mics without the sting of vintage prices. Dave doesn't deal in snake oil, he like most of the real mic gurus, has travelled a long path to have his understanding.

I haven't done a side by each comparison, but have experienced both the AA and the Peluso on different occasions, and definitely found them to deliver the same flavour of sound. Would also be very curious to know what if any differences are noticed in direct listening tests.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search