The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question MTC, MPC and IZ RADAR with or without DAW.... Audio Interfaces
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Question MTC, MPC and IZ RADAR with or without DAW....

MTC, MPC and IZ RADAR with or without DAW....
Sup Guys...

Here is a NEW YEAR CHALLENGE FOR YOU if you dare ???

We have a studio setup that needs to change for the new year as the writers have changed there tools........

1-I need the tightness and drums from an MPC5000 that we have acquired....(THE NEW EDITION)
2-The "preferred" multirack in this setup is 48track radar running over AES i/o through a digital SSL console.....
3-I am running a DAW with native logic and perhaps protools with possibility of protools hd if required for timing and accuracy....
(This is mainly for editing and sound design)

I NEED TO MAKE A TIGHT SYNCED WRITING STUDIO from this setup....

Where the MPC can be the master and the slave to and from RADAR... but i can also have an offline/online (in sync) daw that i can latch onto the RADAR MPC sync setup.....

Any advice or clarity greatly appreciated

Before the MPC rocked up i was syncing Logic - RADAR and RADAR - Logic over MTC and logic i have decided just isn't that tight or accurate..... :/

HELP?

THANKS IN ADVANCE..thumbsupthumbsup

MUCH APPRECIATED THOSE WHO BOTHERED TO REPLYheh

Cheers
Lives for gear
Personally, I would never let the MPC be the master over the audio, either the recorder or the console. I really don't see where the MTC comes into play from a system standpoint. The amount of time I would spend locked to MTC is relatively small, but that's me and I don't know your methodology.

I guess the first question would be is there some kind of house sync. You don't mention any. I think if you really want it tight, that would be were to start. As long as you are passing clock around from unit to unit you will be getting less than optimal results. Not any issues a lay person could hear mind you. But you obviously can, or you wouldn't be here.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Personally, I would never let the MPC be the master over the audio, either the recorder or the console. I really don't see where the MTC comes into play from a system standpoint. The amount of time I would spend locked to MTC is relatively small, but that's me and I don't know your methodology.

I guess the first question would be is there some kind of house sync. You don't mention any. I think if you really want it tight, that would be were to start. As long as you are passing clock around from unit to unit you will be getting less than optimal results. Not any issues a lay person could hear mind you. But you obviously can, or you wouldn't be here.
Sup man!

House sync is a different thing though - we have an antelope ocx v clock

I guess it is a unique setup that i need to work for the writers workflow.... hence the need to do things this way.....
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
It is and it isn't. You are sort of implying that your sequencers feel different depending on how they are clocked or synced. Is that the case?

It probably is something that would be unique to your particular gear.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is and it isn't. You are sort of implying that your sequencers feel different depending on how they are clocked or synced. Is that the case?

It probably is something that would be unique to your particular gear.
it is my understanding that the studio is not as TIGHT as it should be!

We have a RADAR and logic through RME AES card...
Both RADAR and Logic running digitally into our SSL - all are getting clock from Antelope OCX-V...

was using logic and midi hardware with a unitor and syncing radar - to logic and visa versa with MTC at 25fps...

Since getting the MPC i have realized logic is not a tight midi sequencer - least not as tight as the MPC!

- And then i have issues when recording stuff through logic.....
--This is latency from the RME card...

Perhaps protools hd or logic symphony system will sort the latency issue for DAW audio?

I want to minimise all timing issues with tighest midi and audio sync possible with zero latency on DAW.....

1 -The MPC is the answer for midi sequencing so that needs to run all my hardware inst...

2 -The DAW is for editing and sound design so that needs to be in sync with both the mpc and radar as both master and slave when required....

3 - RADAR is my master multitrack everything gets comped to radar for mixing and recording.....

I need all 3 to talk to each other so any one of the 3 workstations can become the master of the others....

Does that make any sense?

Hope it does im hungover!

Cheersthumbsupthumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
What absolutely makes sense is that the MPC is a tighter sequencer than the DAW.

As far as latency is concerned, you might hear some when tracking to the DAW, but not the Radar.. But it should disappear on repro.

But there will always be the issue that 25 FPS, or any other FPS for that matter, has more play than you might be tolerant of. The more stuff you can transfer into the recorder at once, the better off you are.

Are you gearin latency in previously tight siynding tracks after they are printed?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What absolutely makes sense is that the MPC is a tighter sequencer than the DAW.

As far as latency is concerned, you might hear some when tracking to the DAW, but not the Radar.. But it should disappear on repro.

But there will always be the issue that 25 FPS, or any other FPS for that matter, has more play than you might be tolerant of. The more stuff you can transfer into the recorder at once, the better off you are.

Are you gearin latency in previously tight siynding tracks after they are printed?

Yeah i thought as much - hence i was thinking if i ran all the synths through the MPC that would keep them tight together - an issue then arises when printing to RADAR where the mpc drops out of sync after a certain number of bars then jumps back in again - not sure if this is an MPC bug?

i need the daw but when using it for editing and such like - the audio always needs time aligning after printing which is a PITA...

am runninng an RME aes card and logic with buffer of 32 0 was thinking if i got protools hd i wouldnt have this issue????

Cheers
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Yeah i thought as much - hence i was thinking if i ran all the synths through the MPC that would keep them tight together
The thing about tightness and the MPC is due to its internal sampling layering ability.. For example, with MIDI, you can only have one note at one position, so if you layered 3 kicks, it'll be 1/1/000, 1/1/001, and 1/1/002---so even if you program from your MPC controlling other synths, it'll still succumb to the MIDI latency/triggering problem. With the MPC, kicks layer exactly in the same place.

So, at least keep the beat and bass tight all programmed with the MPC (with bass from a synth so you can have the same groove quantize) and just use MIDI with the DAW, etc....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search