The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C60 and C61 Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

AKG C60 and C61

I couldn't find any informative threads on this mic, and a search only turned up classified ads.

Does anyone have any positive experience with these tube SDC's???? or any experience at all for that matter?

I'm a fan of the old CK1 caps and have three 451eb's, which I thoroughly enjoy.

I've looked at the Chameleon Labs TS-1 mkII and the Telefunken Ela M 260, both other tube SDC's that have adapters for CK1's, but I think the C61's might be a very viable option, but I can't find much info on them.

I imagine there is some similar qualities with the C61 and 451eb, but this might be attributed to the shared CK1....... I always thought in my head that a tube/transformer circuit would be perfect for my taste.......

So any info on the C61 would be very greatly greatly greatly appreciated!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a C-61 (nuvistor) now and used a C-60 (701) for a few years a while back. I'm a fan of the small-diaphragm AKG's, so having the tube version is a good thing. The C-60 was nice, but not an "Oh my god" microphone. They tend to be on the low side in terms of output, compared to other tube mics. Very good as a snare or hi-hat mic.

My purchase of the C-61 coincided with the beginning of a long period of downtime for my studio, so I haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Curious to see if my previous impressions still hold.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair I use all the time..the nuvistors are pretty noisy so I had to spend time selecting the right NOS RCA tube for them a while back.

I believe that the CK1 capsule are not original to them, mine came with CK28 capsules from new..although I use CK1's too with them(as pictured). The CK28 has a more midrangy tone to my ears..

I use them for acoustic guitars and drum overheads..they sound a lot nicer than the C451. Less edgy.

Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

I've borrowed a friends C60s and I really thought they sounded great. A really solid sound.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks much for the info guys!!!! Really appreciated!

Seems like the mic has very little review, which is why I'm curious.

If it sounds like a better version of the 451e/eb, then I'm in......

I hope more people have some insight.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

The C60 is NOT worth it considering the tube. Its fine but not a big deal sonically either- search Klaus Heyne's forum on REP. Note the power supply versions as well.

PSW Recording Forums: Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab => AKG C60 Opinions

If one of those tubes goes bad/need replacing- its NOT worth the money to do it... They aint cheap.

If you magically pull a CK4 out of your butt and stick a brass CK12 in it- great, the poor mans Elam... But that has about as much chance of happening as monkeys flying out carrying the ck4 capsule...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
AKG C60 and C61

I have owned a C60. Nice mic, the tranny for the mic is in the power supply. My preference was the Neumann 264's over the C60's.
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
If you magically pull a CK4 out of your butt and stick a brass CK12 in it- great, the poor mans Elam... But that has about as much chance of happening as monkeys flying out carrying the ck4 capsule...
Magic happened! Right here at my side: 2x C60 /w ck4 capsules. But I have to say honestly, I prefer the CK1 capsles on my ones. The CK4 seem to have strange polar patterns. Much pickup from the sides and the rear with strange colourations goin on... Anyone else having CK4 capsules??
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

You know the CK4 is figure-8, right?
Old 22nd April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
Magic happened! Right here at my side: 2x C60 /w ck4 capsules. But I have to say honestly, I prefer the CK1 capsles on my ones. The CK4 seem to have strange polar patterns. Much pickup from the sides and the rear with strange colourations goin on... Anyone else having CK4 capsules??
You have to clip one side to make it Cardioid [do it in a way you can reattach-someone may have done this wrong, or done something weird if it sounds different front to back and has much of any pickup from the side or the capsule could be damaged], and the CK-4 can be either a brass, [screws], CK-12 or the later less desired capsule... The smaller, ps mounted, transformer makes this sound quite a bit less like a C12, than say pairing it with a C28 [still a smaller transformer than an older C12] IMO. C60/61 always made a decent snare mic..

Enjoy!

Best-
Jonathan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search