The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
K+H o410 vs Blue Sky Mid.Blue vs PSI A25-M ? Studio Monitors
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

K+H o410 vs Blue Sky Mid.Blue vs PSI A25-M ?

I have narrowed my choice of midfield monitors down to the following :-

K+H o410 £5500
Blue Sky Sat 8 + Sub 212 + BMC controller £4600
PSI Audio A25-M £6995

I can't demo in store as no store near me stocks them so I'll have to buy them internationally and return them if I don't like them. Sending back fully insured 80kg+ boxes will cost quite a bit so I'd rather try and get it right first time.

So can people with experience of ONLY the above please comment on their strengths and balance etc as I'm going to start ordering them on the 5th Jan.

I'm looking for the most transparent and natural sounding , with effortless full bass that doesn't have a upper mid or treble glare.

Thanks

Lastly, I've just been offered a pair of 5 month old ATC's 50a but I'm not sure if they'll work with what I need or if I'll need a sub ?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

bump

'cos it's not like people here don't use monitors
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Well, my short-list always came down to K+H (Neumann), ATC, Harbeth, PMC and Geithhein.

So as the K+H are the only ones on my list .....

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

is that from past experience with the o410 or just K+H as a company ?

I've been offered 5 month old ATCs for half price. I have heard SCM50a before , not the SL version though,it was a while ago so can't actually recall much about them apart from the bass wasn't too deep... maybe that was due to the placement ?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

O410 cheaper than you'd think

Proaudioeurope have an ex-demo pair of O410s - they're absolutely mint; £4.2k +VAT. They've been trying to shift them for a while, so maybe there's some flexibility on price. I've no experience of the other two brands in your list, but I've heard the 410 a couple of times in mix situations - astonishing balance of sound, and very, very revealing. I own a pair of O300D monitors, and the O410 struck me as a bigger, better version of them.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

ME Geithain are more expensive (with the most of the relevant models), but well worth the price.

Never tried ATC or kh (neumann) o410. But being in England, there should be plenty of ATC 2nd hand around you for "cheap". Sometimes you can get used 150asl at almost similar prices as 50asl. I'd go with that (150).

But you know... MEG RL901K are supernice heh ... cardiod bas (easier placement closer to walls), coax driver arangement (=great imaging), almost 16" woofer (-3dB at 25Hz)... hmmmm
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
ME Geithain are more expensive (with the most of the relevant models), but well worth the price.

Never tried ATC or kh (neumann) o410. But being in England, there should be plenty of ATC 2nd hand around you for "cheap". Sometimes you can get used 150asl at almost similar prices as 50asl. I'd go with that (150).

But you know... MEG RL901K are supernice heh ... cardiod bas (easier placement closer to walls), coax driver arangement (=great imaging), almost 16" woofer (-3dB at 25Hz)... hmmmm
Plenty of ATC 50s around , people are selling 15 year old ones for near £4000 though, which isn't too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
O410 cheaper than you'd think

Proaudioeurope have an ex-demo pair of O410s - they're absolutely mint; £4.2k +VAT. They've been trying to shift them for a while, so maybe there's some flexibility on price. I've no experience of the other two brands in your list, but I've heard the 410 a couple of times in mix situations - astonishing balance of sound, and very, very revealing. I own a pair of O300D monitors, and the O410 struck me as a bigger, better version of them.
I seen that advert and emailed them a while back requesting them to lower the price a bit more and I'll buy them - no reply.

You can buy brand new for £5500 inc vat. The £4200 exc vat is a saving of around £500, so nothing major as they're essentially used.

[edit: Just emailed them again to see if I can get a reply]
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

They rarely answer emails I've found - get on the phone and ask to speak to Mark. He'll give you an answer there and then I'm sure.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

can only comment on the 410s: great monitors! but as always: your room, your music, your ear will have to be factored in the choice. speakers are highly subjective. just like mics and voices: you have to find a match.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

What country are you in MarcB?

Certainly in the UK there would be demo units available for you to try in your own studio.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

HHB had a pair of 0410s in last time I spoke to them. They seem able to get them in pretty quickly for demoing. Give Martin O'Donnell a ring and tell him I said hi.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville
HHB had a pair of 0410s in last time I spoke to them. They seem able to get them in pretty quickly for demoing. Give Martin O'Donnell a ring and tell him I said hi.
Sennheiser UK have a demo pair that they can normally easily get out to a dealer and these are probably what HHB drew on.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

cheers all.. I'll look into it
Old 7th January 2011
Here for the gear

I own a pair of K&H 0410's, and can't say enough good about these incredible monitors. These monitors are used for classical and pipe organ recordings along with mastering. These babies are extremely revealing in detail, image, and sonic realizm across the audio spectrum. As with any professional monitors, you need to have them tuned to the room which will help a great deal. If you're looking for accurate monitors, with plenty of power, I can't recommend these monitors any higher. Fantastic Sound! Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search