The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compact hi quality LDCs Condenser Microphones
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Compact hi quality LDCs

I'm about to put together a mobile rig (macbook + Sound devices UsbPre 2) and I want a pair of uber-allround LDC's for this.

This is for taking my production work outside the studio from time to time. If I need a church organ, grand, cembalo, tubular bells, out of tune bar-piano, harp... whatever that is not in our small production studio I'll just go and record those instruments wherever they might be. As technology finally allows me to do so with just a small bag of gear.

So I want a pair of mics that are:

- compact and very portable
- allround as the source could be whatever, including vocals
- high quality
- in a perfect world selectable polar pattern

A pair of 414 would be perfect when it comes to size, form and function but.... how do those new ones actually sound ? Not very interested in hunting down vintage EB's... I would prefer something currently made and available.

The Gefell M930 is very high on my list of options. Great compact mics but the downside is the fixed cardioid pp.

What else is out there ? For some reason I'm not all that crazy about SDCs. Again, the 414 would be perfect but it's hard to find a good word about the latest generation 414.

Suggestions welcome.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

well, although most people here don't like them i consider 414 XLS on of the best (if not the best) modern all around mic (well not so for vocals but you can get decent results on almost every voice...). I really don't like the XL II with it's hyped upper range....the XLS on the other hand is a very smooth and detailed mic with great pollar patern options , usefull pads, very easy to handle, with a great shock mount and really easy to match as a pair due to it's smooth freq response....and if you consider the price.....it's really great value for money...especially if you are mainly in to stereo recording for this rig (it works great as a coincident pair, as a M/S pair etc).

If you can spend some more then the Neumann TLM170 is for me probably the best of the best all arounders and probably the best modern Neumann mic.....smooth, pretty flat, it can handle lots of SPL, it listens to eq and works great with both colored and transparent amps.

However both of them don't really flatter vocals (well actually not pop-rock vocals...they are great on classical, opera etc) but they certainly get the job done thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

...and another thing

If you can get your hands on the Oktava mk012 SDC with mk101, mk102 and mk104 capsules it's a fantastic compination of modular designs with lots of different flavours and characteristics....really smooth sounding mics with great warm sound and not harsh at all...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Compact hi quality LDCs

I'd look for Neumann U89 or TLM170. Haven't used the 170 but the 89 is great for a great lot of things.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a pair of KSM 32s a couple of years ago and every time I use them (which is every gig), I'm glad that I bought them. I highly recommend them as a stereo pair in pretty much any remote application. Only downside is that they are cardioid only so it limits your setup options - I usually use them in an ORTF configuration.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
(...)So I want a pair of mics that are:
- compact and very portable
- allround as the source could be whatever, including vocals
- high quality
- in a perfect world selectable polar pattern
(...)I would prefer something currently made and available.
The Gefell M930 is very high on my list of options. Great compact mics but the downside is the fixed cardioid pp.
What else is out there ? For some reason I'm not all that crazy about SDCs.(...)Suggestions welcome.
Let me suggest the Gefell UMT70S. You could also have them make you a pair of MV692/UM70, if you prefer transformers.
Dunno if their lollipop design fits your definition of of compact, though.

The BeyerDynamic MC840 isn't too large, either. For transformers you'd have to find it's predecessor, the 740.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Compact hi quality LDCs

The Sennheiser MKH 800 could be a good compromise (or the MKH 800 TWIN) - these are medium diaphragm as the diaphragm is 16mm in diameter.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Resurrecting an old thread. Six years have passed since this topic about compact LDC's. Any thoughts on current good quality compact (that is, small-ish size and therefor easy to carry around to remote locations) LDC's?

Regards, Christine
Old 12th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist View Post
Resurrecting an old thread. Six years have passed since this topic about compact LDC's. Any thoughts on current good quality compact (that is, small-ish size and therefor easy to carry around to remote locations) LDC's?

Regards, Christine
Gefell 930
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Guru

The sE 4400 and T2 both have fairly small flat bodies like a 414. They both sound really good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search