The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone noticed the Manley ELOP just jumped in price $600 bucks?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_mccue View Post

You may search out a thread in the Geekslutz area to see what a brand new dead on arrival Manley ELOP looked like last summer....
Ok, I just checked out that thread since initially it was hard for me to believe your story based on my own experiences.

All I can say is, my ELOP here does not look like the one in the photos and has worked perfectly since day one. I had another ELOP, an early one, that I used for probably about 6 years, never a problem with that one either. I've had (and still have) many other assorted Manley products (and Langevin), no issues whatsoever.

Actually... I DID once have a minor issue with one channel of a DVC, years back, I sent it in, it was fixed for free, lickity split, amazing service... no more problems.

I don't know too much about electronics specifically, I just know about audio... and Manley delivers stellar quality in terms of audio. The look and feel of their products is excellent too. Overall their gear makes me very happy and satisfied.

Should I be concerned about the guts? Well, from my personal experience, considering all the units I have had and still have, and the amount of hours I put on all of it, Manley has proven to be EXTREMELY reliable. And everything has always functioned perfectly and sounded amazing. When considering all, my Manley failure rate is like 1%, less than what I experience with a lot of my other expensive stuff.

So, solder flux spatter or not, from my PERSONAL experience, I can only be entirely thrilled with their products and feel they are well worth the price.

And it's impressive how EveAnna did step up to the plate and took care of you. As well, she admitted that she had a pow-wow with her factory people, showed them the photos of the questionable soldering work and effectively instructed them to be more careful. As well, some other respected forum members commented that most Manley units do not look like that on the inside... that you probably just got a "lemon". As EveAnna stated, these things are built by humans... and she ultimately took care of it. That's the bottom line.

If anything I think this is only a testament to how great Manley is as a company, EveAnna herself readily communicates on this forum directly with her customers, that's very impressive and makes me feel very good about the products. I know she is there ready to take care of ME, as a customer. That cannot be said for many other manufacturers. There are a lot of other high-end manufacturers out there that, when you contact them about an issue, you don't hear anything back for weeks, and then when you do, the service is terrible and you're without your unit for sometimes months... and then it doesn't even get fixed right. I'm not going to name names, but I've witnessed this more than once with other companies. Manley is at the top of the scale in terms of customer service.

My personal assessment is that if you had chosen to keep that ELOP, Manley would have repaired it, they likely would have even cleaned the flux spatter and replaced the dirty resistor too (even though EveAanna said it was unnecessary), and you would have received that unit back in mint condition and it would have functioned perfectly and reliably for another 10 years, easily. This is VERY likely what would have been the case.

Sorry that you had that poor experience, surely it does not give one a good feeling when one receives a brand new expensive unit and it arrives DOA. It sucks, but it happens. I know guys that have purchased brand new $90k+ Porsches etc, and days later the cars left them stranded and had to be towed back for repair... it happens. As long as the manufacturer makes good and ultimately provides you with a properly functioning, reliable product, all is good and it amounts to nothing more than a one-time, very minor, very brief inconvenience.

Again, my current ELOP is still going strong here, for years, I love it, it's an awesome tool that allows me to yield great sounding music. I plug it in and grin... and get my music work done. That's all I need to know and all I need to be happy.

I'll admit, I don't spend much time with a magnifying glass inspecting the inner circuit boards of all my gear, that really is not of much concern to me as long as everything works and sounds great.

At the end of the day, I don't care if a unit is packed with the most expensive, fancy guts, with all solder joints hand polished to a mirror-like gleam, or if it's packed with all ultra cheap junk, dirt, dust, puddles of flux everywhere, whatever, AS LONG AS the thing SOUNDS great, functions properly and is RELIABLE. I'll even tolerate one failure IF the manufacture is great about repairing it properly and quickly. More than one failure in the short term and I might get irritated, but that hasn't yet happened with any "modern" gear (stuff from the past 15 years) I have owned.

Considering the amount of Manley gear I've owned and used over the years and the amount of hours I've put on all of it, Manley products have proven to be among the most reliable. That's my personal experience anyway FWIW.

Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

To be clear what Ms. Manley took care of was attempting to ridicule me and explaining that for my $2300 that I would get the same unit with the ugly looking workmanship repaired and in working order.

My vendor took care of me by sending a call tag and giving me a %100 refund.

I turned around and bought a CL-1B from the vendor.

I was quite surprised that we couldn't work out a trade where I got a unit that looks like it was made by someone who cares about their job.

Manley indicated to me that it had shipped my ELOP to my vendor as new stock and then it was forwarded directly to me. They had the serial number and were aware it had left their factory less than 2 weeks before I received it and was forced to make a warranty claim.

This is why I think the extra $600 retail ($375-400 wholesale?) is going to be put to good use at the factory.

The stagflation we are experiencing certainly doesn't make it any easier for either manufacturer or customer.

best regards,
mike
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is why I think the extra $600 retail ($375-400 wholesale?)...

Assuming standard margins, $600 extra at retail is an extra $120 at wholesale.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Is this really what the world needs: Manley costing more and Waves costing less?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Best of luck to Manley with these price hikes...

They won't be getting any more of my $$ though.

If their service was top-notch I could see something to it as that is an important part of investing in gear, but my personal experience is that it has gone down the tubes, no pun intended. It's no fun experience to get something back from being serviced only to have it be in worse calibration (VU's and channel gains) than when you sent it out, and to have to go down again only a couple months later, get it back again not working 100%. Especially when you're talking about a unit that was rock solid for years and years. Frustrating...

They have a lot of competition in terms of prices and with at least ime, better service... so best of luck.

Dealers and pimps please don't jump down my throat for stating an opinion.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Has anyone noticed the Manley ELOP just jumped in price $600 bucks?

Getting my ref c this week. Capsule made in china. Hence price probably stays the same. Excited to get it and hoping the capsule is the same quality it was ten years ago.
Ps. Eveanna is great to talk to and is a great rep for a top company. Hats off.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I certainly understand manufacturing costs going up - especially since they are made in the US - and made in CA makes things even worse. (CA must be the most ANTI-manufacturing climate in the US.)

HOWEVER -

Have they noticed what's going on in the industry?
I'm sure that they're aware of what's going on in the industry, but that doesn't change the costs that they have to contend with.

Quote:
Was this the smartest way to pass on a price increase, probably not.
I'm not sure how they could have done it any "smarter"...they did announce it was going to happen a few weeks ahead of time which most manufacturers don't do. I guess they could have raised the price incrementally over time, but I'm not sure that would have been a better way to go...if you've got to get a Band-Aid off the best way seems to be to just do it.
Old 4th January 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Gregory Scott - ubk
What world do you live in?

If that's the margin on the UBK stuff I'm sorry I got out of doing retail... my experience in the world of retail would have had reseller price closer to an extra $400 over previous "dealer cost".

My experience with Manley was from being "dealer #3" on the planet... which happened in about 1991 [maybe early '92]. I do not recall a previous price increase in those 18-19 years [there may have been one, I just don't remember it]. At the same time, there seems to be a bunch of desire for products built in the US... and Manly products are entirely built in the US... from the milling of the face panels to the winding of the transformers, its ALL done in the US - while creating manufacturing jobs instead of shipping them overseas.

After at least a decade [if not closer to 2 decades] of absorbing supplier price increases I think they're due!! I mean imagine if you didn't get a pay raise at your job for 5 years... how would that work for you? ...now triple that!!!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

Gregory Scott - ubk

80% margin is much higher than I imagined... I would guessed that MSRP was keystone and that street was about 35-40% margin.

I'm gonna start requesting a lot more service from my dealers. :-)

Perhaps I am thinking simply about wholesale to the retailer and you are considering a second layer of wholesale to a distributor?

I'm just curious what your perspective is.

best regards,
mike
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Guru

Yeah, it's best to ignore my numbers because they're completely wrong.

I was doing the math in my head for what kind of 'cost of goods' increase would result in an extra $600 on retail price. In other words, if my metalwork and painting went up by $120, the list price on that item would probably go up by $600 unless I chose to eat some or all of the increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
What world do you live in?
One where I occasionally fµck up in public. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may search out a thread in the Geekslutz area to see what a brand new dead on arrival Manley ELOP looked like last summer.
Can you link to this thread Mike? Unable to find it using the search function.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

is Rosin Smutz on the PCB hi end?

Very revealing
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

man, i just read through that threat in the geekslutz forum, i feel bad for eva anna, although i don´t even know her, but the tone in these threats is just embarrassing!

2 things i have to say:

- i own two pieces of manley gear, massive passive and an elop. the elop is an older one, bought it used years ago. i did take a look inside, but didn´t see any suspicious workmanship (not that i´d have an eye for that). do i care what it looks like inside? NO! why? because it performed flawlessly during the years (although the lights went out just recently, oh well ), and even more so, IT SOUNDS WONDERFUL!

- my massive passive is about 5 years old, bought it new from mercenary audio. i did take a look inside, it looks like what it is, hand-made, but damn well done. do i care actually? NO. why? because it SOUNDS WONDERFUL and performs flawlessly as well!

i really can understand that you´re pissed off when a brand new piece of equipment arrives doa, but things like that happen unfortunately, that´s life!

manley gear makes life sweeter though!
Old 4th January 2011
member no 666

Wow - I just read that thread as well... what struck me, even before the post that pointed it out [and I understand that you posted it on "High End" before it was moved to "Geekslutz"] is that you never seemed in search of a solution.

I understand how you got to the point you got to... I can understand the subsequent frustration... at the same time I can't understand how or why you would post such a thing on a public forum without having given it at least a day [work day, I understand there was a gig and a holiday weekend involved] for the company to try to "make it right".

You purchased a high end unit, and it failed. It could have been a "transit bounce" that caused the failure [I see your location is "Europe"], it could have been any of a whole lot of things. I understand you waited 2 months for the unit - which could be a failing of the factory, or that your dealer doesn't carry inventory as many dealers are prone not to do [which kind of makes the "dealer model" irrelevant - but I digress]... and the real fact of the matter is that the dealer should have run an additional level of "QC" before shipping you the unit -- which obviously they didn't do, presumably because you had been waiting 2 months for the piece.

I've seen things like this more times than I care to remember. Yes - sometimes things fall through the cracks at a manufacturer... could have been somebody's first day - either in production or "QC" - and the problem slipped through a crack. Could have been that the 2 month wait was caused by the distributor waiting until they had a large enough order to help mitigate the shipping costs [and wasn't a factory delay]... that same distributor -- if they were smart -- should have "QC"ed the unit prior to shipping it to the dealer [who may or may not have had facilities to "burn in" and "QC" the unit prior to delivery to you].

My point is that your real problem was that one of the channels didn't work. Not the flux on the board, not anything else. I'll bet even money [I could probably be persuaded to give odds] that the unit checked out of the factory perfect... and the off channel was due to a transit bounce. If proper "QC" had happened on the receiving end you might have had to wait an additional week - but it would have been "right"... and more importantly you would have had no reason to open the unit -- which would have meant that you'd be smiling great big smiles of joy with your properly working El-Op.

When I worked for a Manley dealer I don't know how many of those units came through the shop... I would think over 100 in 18-19 years I was there. In that time I don't specifically recall any failure with any El-Op. I do recall that anytime we did have an issue with a Manley unit the repair was prompt - and more importantly perfect.

Yeah - there was a problem. **** happens. Its how the company addresses the problem that is the sign of a good company or a **** one... in my 18+ years of direct interaction with Manley - I've seen nothing but prompt response and ruthless attention to detail when there was a problem... then again, the company I worked for gave them a minute to deal with the actual problem rather than dealing with an internet "crisis public relations" issue on top of the actual problem. Yeah - PR and "tech solutions" are two different departments at Toshiba or LG... not so much in a small company like a Manley Laboratories.

From what I saw on that thread... the whole problem could have easily been avoided if you had waited a couple of days to make your post... you didn't, the unit was returned... and this topic of discussion [or perhaps "information" from a dissatisfied customer] should be deader that fried chicken... but something tells me this won't be the last time its seen on these boards... I just wish I could see a more valid reason for your being as pissed off as you seem to be.

Best of luck with all you do.

Peace.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Mike ain't me BTW
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Wow - I just read that thread as well... what struck me, even before the post that pointed it out [and I understand that you posted it on "High End" before it was moved to "Geekslutz"] is that you never seemed in search of a solution.

I understand how you got to the point you got to... I can understand the subsequent frustration... at the same time I can't understand how or why you would post such a thing on a public forum without having given it at least a day [work day, I understand there was a gig and a holiday weekend involved] for the company to try to "make it right".

You purchased a high end unit, and it failed. It could have been a "transit bounce" that caused the failure [I see your location is "Europe"], it could have been any of a whole lot of things. I understand you waited 2 months for the unit - which could be a failing of the factory, or that your dealer doesn't carry inventory as many dealers are prone not to do [which kind of makes the "dealer model" irrelevant - but I digress]... and the real fact of the matter is that the dealer should have run an additional level of "QC" before shipping you the unit -- which obviously they didn't do, presumably because you had been waiting 2 months for the piece.

I've seen things like this more times than I care to remember. Yes - sometimes things fall through the cracks at a manufacturer... could have been somebody's first day - either in production or "QC" - and the problem slipped through a crack. Could have been that the 2 month wait was caused by the distributor waiting until they had a large enough order to help mitigate the shipping costs [and wasn't a factory delay]... that same distributor -- if they were smart -- should have "QC"ed the unit prior to shipping it to the dealer [who may or may not have had facilities to "burn in" and "QC" the unit prior to delivery to you].

My point is that your real problem was that one of the channels didn't work. Not the flux on the board, not anything else. I'll bet even money [I could probably be persuaded to give odds] that the unit checked out of the factory perfect... and the off channel was due to a transit bounce. If proper "QC" had happened on the receiving end you might have had to wait an additional week - but it would have been "right"... and more importantly you would have had no reason to open the unit -- which would have meant that you'd be smiling great big smiles of joy with your properly working El-Op.

When I worked for a Manley dealer I don't know how many of those units came through the shop... I would think over 100 in 18-19 years I was there. In that time I don't specifically recall any failure with any El-Op. I do recall that anytime we did have an issue with a Manley unit the repair was prompt - and more importantly perfect.

Yeah - there was a problem. **** happens. Its how the company addresses the problem that is the sign of a good company or a **** one... in my 18+ years of direct interaction with Manley - I've seen nothing but prompt response and ruthless attention to detail when there was a problem... then again, the company I worked for gave them a minute to deal with the actual problem rather than dealing with an internet "crisis public relations" issue on top of the actual problem. Yeah - PR and "tech solutions" are two different departments at Toshiba or LG... not so much in a small company like a Manley Laboratories.

From what I saw on that thread... the whole problem could have easily been avoided if you had waited a couple of days to make your post... you didn't, the unit was returned... and this topic of discussion [or perhaps "information" from a dissatisfied customer] should be deader that fried chicken... but something tells me this won't be the last time its seen on these boards... I just wish I could see a more valid reason for your being as pissed off as you seem to be.

Best of luck with all you do.

Peace.

Hi Fletcher,

I spoke with Manley's official service representative 3 times before I sent that letter to him. The conversation went on for a week.

I had followed specific printed instructions to contact the service rep. but he seemed to wonder why I contacted him and I was left with the impression that he isn't on the time clock until Manley tells him he is.

Manley's service representative doesn't work at the Manley facility... he's several hundred miles away and so he kept saying... call your dealer... send it back to them and they'll contact us.

All I asked of Manley was the assurance that if I did so that I would receive a replacement rather than that ugly piece of workmanship they sent me.

When my letter to the service department was forwarded to Ms Manley she replied and explained that she would not replace the unit but rather have it repaired.

When the lame excuse was offered that the units were "built by humans" I decided to walk away.

I'll build gear as well... I'm a human... and I know what that means.

Humans are capable of top quality workmanship. I thought that excusing sloppy workmanship as "made by humans" was a terrible excuse.

In fact I thought the inclusion of any excuse was insulting... I didn't need an excuse... I needed a commitment to move forward.

Here's an example of the kind of workmanship I expect of myself:

http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/imag...1eX_012-xl.jpg

That's just a simple home made guitar amp... but it was assembled with care.

I certainly didn't expect to hear a bunch of excuses about why I should accept the sort of workmanship I saw in my ELOP.

I'd like to add that from the moment I first called Manley I was met with incredulity and suspicion and it was only after the third phone call when the service rep took the time to look up my serial number that the mood changed and people understood that the unit was indeed straight from the factory and that I was probably not some criminal trying to work a scam in some manner.

I was a merchant in another technical hi-end industry so I am accustomed to skipping through the middle men and speaking with the source when I need actual real life assistance.

Fletcher, I know that if I bought that unit from you that you could have advocated for me and helped me get a fresh unit... but I once I saw how the operation works at Manley... and only after Ms. Manley disclosed the name of the gear in those photos, in what I considered a offensive-defense move, did I decide to walk away from that outfit.

Ms Manley never gave me the opportunity to let me do the right thing. I would have happily let the matter rest and never intended to state whom made the item in the photo. It was just another example of being suspected of the worst when in fact I was actually just a customer.

I decided to buy gear from an outfit that agrees with my understanding of electronics. Tube gear can bounce of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and still work fine. It's not fragile as the Manley literature suggests and I took that as just another form of excuse making. When I read thru the Tube Tech website and saw the mention that tube gear persisted in the military for many years specifically because it is robust I knew that I had found a like minded company to buy gear from.

I'd like to also add that each and every slut-grade preamp that I own has had it's cover off and I have inspected them myself. In fact before I purchased each one of those units I was able to see a photo of the guts. Many company owners, people whom you know personally, sent me photos of interiors prior to my purchase. One fella... a good friend of yours... borrowed his wife's camera and sent me the photos the next day. Another guy you know very well told me he was contractually obligated to not distribute photos of the circuit board... and then slipped me a hi res photo because he understood my curiosity. The owners of all the other Made in USA companies were proud to share that info with me.

I say this to explain that I was sort of surprised that I was treated like a criminal for having viewed the guts of dead on arrival Manley ELOP.

I'm sure Manley makes good gear. As my letter said I have been aware of Manley since the early VTL days.

I was very disappointed to learn that Ms Manley was just as likely to make excuses as to simply commit to helping me out.

I could have hoped that when Manley saw my returned unit first hand that they would have elected to meet my request but personally, I wasn't going to trust any one who is so quick with the excuse making OR the finger pointing.

Anyways... that's my story.

I do think the extra money may be helpful to the Manley operation and the need to charge more makes perfect sense to me.

best regards,
mike

BTW I live in USA that's why I like to buy domestic product.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Fletcher,

I just re read your post... I wanted to add... there is a very specific reason I chose to work with another vendor than the one you formerly pimped for.

Your accusatory style is a turn off.

regards,
mike
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

I completely understand the price increases and the reasons behind them. But $600 extra for a $2500 device is nothing, and to be expected. However, a two THOUSAND dollar increase on a $3200 device, the Backbone, is astronomical, and puts the unit in a price range where there's other competition.

It's a sad time for all. We make less $$, everyone knocks down our rates so when the equipment we need increases by this much, it makes it difficult to continue.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Fletcher,

I spoke with Manley's official service representative 3 times before I sent that letter to him. The conversation went on for a week.

I had followed specific printed instructions to contact the service rep. but he seemed to wonder why I contacted him and I was left with the impression that he isn't on the time clock until Manley tells him he is.

Manley's service representative doesn't work at the Manley facility... he's several hundred miles away and so he kept saying... call your dealer... send it back to them and they'll contact us.

All I asked of Manley was the assurance that if I did so that I would receive a replacement rather than that ugly piece of workmanship they sent me.

When my letter to the service department was forwarded to Ms Manley she replied and explained that she would not replace the unit but rather have it repaired.

When the lame excuse was offered that the units were "built by humans" I decided to walk away.

I'll build gear as well... I'm a human... and I know what that means.

Humans are capable of top quality workmanship. I thought that excusing sloppy workmanship as "made by humans" was a terrible excuse.

In fact I thought the inclusion of any excuse was insulting... I didn't need an excuse... I needed a commitment to move forward.

Here's an example of the kind of workmanship I expect of myself:

http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/imag...1eX_012-xl.jpg

That's just a simple home made guitar amp... but it was assembled with care.

I certainly didn't expect to hear a bunch of excuses about why I should accept the sort of workmanship I saw in my ELOP.

I'd like to add that from the moment I first called Manley I was met with incredulity and suspicion and it was only after the third phone call when the service rep took the time to look up my serial number that the mood changed and people understood that the unit was indeed straight from the factory and that I was probably not some criminal trying to work a scam in some manner.

I was a merchant in another technical hi-end industry so I am accustomed to skipping through the middle men and speaking with the source when I need actual real life assistance.

Fletcher, I know that if I bought that unit from you that you could have advocated for me and helped me get a fresh unit... but I once I saw how the operation works at Manley... and only after Ms. Manley disclosed the name of the gear in those photos, in what I considered a offensive-defense move, did I decide to walk away from that outfit.

Ms Manley never gave me the opportunity to let me do the right thing. I would have happily let the matter rest and never intended to state whom made the item in the photo. It was just another example of being suspected of the worst when in fact I was actually just a customer.

I decided to buy gear from an outfit that agrees with my understanding of electronics. Tube gear can bounce of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and still work fine. It's not fragile as the Manley literature suggests and I took that as just another form of excuse making. When I read thru the Tube Tech website and saw the mention that tube gear persisted in the military for many years specifically because it is robust I knew that I had found a like minded company to buy gear from.

I'd like to also add that each and every slut-grade preamp that I own has had it's cover off and I have inspected them myself. In fact before I purchased each one of those units I was able to see a photo of the guts. Many company owners, people whom you know personally, sent me photos of interiors prior to my purchase. One fella... a good friend of yours... borrowed his wife's camera and sent me the photos the next day. Another guy you know very well told me he was contractually obligated to not distribute photos of the circuit board... and then slipped me a hi res photo because he understood my curiosity. The owners of all the other Made in USA companies were proud to share that info with me.

I say this to explain that I was sort of surprised that I was treated like a criminal for having viewed the guts of dead on arrival Manley ELOP.

I'm sure Manley makes good gear. As my letter said I have been aware of Manley since the early VTL days.

I was very disappointed to learn that Ms Manley was just as likely to make excuses as to simply commit to helping me out.

I could have hoped that when Manley saw my returned unit first hand that they would have elected to meet my request but personally, I wasn't going to trust any one who is so quick with the excuse making OR the finger pointing.

Anyways... that's my story.

I do think the extra money may be helpful to the Manley operation and the need to charge more makes perfect sense to me.

best regards,
mike

BTW I live in USA that's why I like to buy domestic product.
I have to tell you I had a real problem with manley, especially evanna... I sent a eqp1a in for repair that needed alot of work, (the circuit board was burned) and they wanted like $800.00 to repair it.. I told them can't you just put in a new board and charge me like $600.00 .. they were not interested.. Then evanna sent me this retarted email saying her products are like a expensive car... I almost fell off my chair... I found her extremely snobish.. Personally I never care what personality a person has if I like there product I'll buy it anyway.... I am busy and I make money.. so I bought 2 brand new manelys eqp1a's right out of the box.. they must have changed some stuff.. cause the units sound really bad!!! and as a matter of fact they still did not return my unit that needed repair...its been 1 year! I find them really snobby..... and I personally think most of there stuff sucks!
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post

However, a two THOUSAND dollar increase on a $3200 device, the Backbone, is astronomical...
The Backbone was once priced at $3200? I did not know that. When I first found out about the unit, right after it was released, or so I believe, I remember the unit being over $4k... like between $4k-$5k. Am I wrong, or was $3200 perhaps just a speculated price that was bouncing around before the unit was actually released? Because with the SLAM, prior to release, I do remember Manley suggesting that it might be a certain price, and then once the unit was actually released the price wound up being much higher and EveAnna had offered a legitimate explanation. I guess it's hard to price a unit until the final composition and build process is known. But getting back to the Backbone, I remember first seeing it on the web, an AES report, shortly after introduction, and I remember a price of $4k-$5k area.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Head

Ya gots to shop around my friend. People who don't have money to throw around don't shop from Sweetwater or those kinds of places. I won't mention who it was, but it was a reputable sales place in New York that ships all over the place. Their price was $3200 in the fall and it's now gone up to $5188.

Honestly, I must have missed the news about the Manley stuff going up in December, or else I was just so busy I didn't have a chance to see it, but if I had known I would have jumped on that back then. They gave 2 weeks notice, but if they had given a month or 2 they would have sold a **** ton.
Old 22nd January 2011
Lives for gear

No prob here with price hike, as I don't find ELOP so interesting (likelly very subjective opinion), so higher the price, more reason not to buy it.
Simultaneously, no prob to pay more for comp I like.
Market economy I would guess..
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Head

I think the Backbone pricing has more to do with the fact that the Dangerous unit (priced NOW at only a few hundred dollars less) had way less features and not as many insert points as the Manley unit. It makes sense that the Backbone would be priced more, as they likely realized. Makes it a STEAL before.

Damn.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

hmm. Can we get back to the point that none of this matters at all and just close this stupid thread? Things change in price. It doesn't matter why. If you can't accept or don't think it's appropriate then don't purchase the products.

It seems to me that the original poster started this to try and get a grip on why, which has been more than thoroughly covered at this point. If you want to start another post about your personal experiences with Manley (again) then feel free but I think this one has been derailed enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search