The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a step up converter from Lynx studio A ? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

a step up converter from Lynx studio A ?

dear slutz,
all advices are welcome, my project studio room situation is the following -->

- need to get a better conversion when tracking vocals (vocalist --> treated room -->brauner vm1 --> BAE 1073 mpf--> cl1b --> lynx)
- I would gladly keep the lynx studio A and adding a "better" converter upfront as I'm not tracking more than 2 instruments at the same time (there are good studios for that)

Usual suspects identified:

- Mytek 192
- Lavry ad10
- burl b2 (above my budgettutt except I win lotto)
- lynx aurora 8

So to come back to the subject, does someone has made the same move from lynx studio pci card to another converter and identified a measurable audible "improvement"? I know how subjective this question is so just put your 2ct experience if possible...
I'm looking forward to read your repliesheh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I own The lynx 2C pci card and a Aurora 16 , did a side by side playback comparison a while back with the same file . The A16 was that micro amount more detailed in top end. So it would be a step up for sure !
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

thanks Ariel for your comment, even it's not the same situation as this OP From Lynxtwo to Aurora? Mytek? Apogee? Advice needed., there are some similarities, it's true if I'm going to upgrade I'm looking a bit more than 1 inch if I take the aurora way (even in the converters world once we reached a good converter quality differences are less apparent than going from low level converters to high end, I understand that ;-)

It seems mytek 192 is a great product without pissing off my partner

as Fletch said in the other thread
Quote:
At that level of the game, which is indeed a game of inches, each inch is exponentially more expensive than the last inch... and it really depends on your goals for the product, your personal sense of aesthetic, and whether your wallet hears enough difference to piss off the wife [partner, self, etc.] by adding to your existing system a unit that will only give you an inch or two better results.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I've never used the Lavry AD10, but I would be curious enough to see what the transformer and tube emulation modes would add to your vocal chain.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Just another thought:

The Lynx Two provides really good conversion. Better conversion is available, but it isn't "night and day" better, and it costs a lot more. And, while you might get slightly better conversion by adding a stand-alone set of converters, you are also adding the potential for clocking issues, because now you have two devices that need to sync, the soundcard and the converter unit.

Should a really good converter unit (like a Mytek) clock well with a Lynx card? Yeah, it should. But what if it doesn't? Are you ready to buy a Big Ben to make sure you are getting the benefits of the better converters you just bought?

I'm no expert, but after dealing with a very subtle but annoying clocking issue about a year ago, I've come to the opinion that proper clocking is as important as the quality of the converters, maybe moreso. By sticking with the Lynx Two, you won't have to worry about that.

I think I get where you are; you need 2 of the highest quality channels you can put together for tracking. Paying more for those few inches of gain in conversion is something you are willing to do. I agree. But, just make sure you aren't losing some inches by adding a clocking issue to the picture.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

thank you for your thoughts, I agree clocking stability needs to be verified before ordering, I read several articles on this as well and it seems to be feasible (some issues reported with RME and mytek due to a wrong information in RME soft apparently)...

I need to confirm this with a lynx studio pci card user if there is one somewhere with a mytek!?

and yes lynx studio is really a great card, I still remember the first time (4 years ago) I pushed the red recording button (I used to have an edirol ua 5 before it), for the first time I heard some details (lips movements, breathing and of course a new sonic dimension...), it was my night and day experience and I know it won't happen again with an a-d converter (even more "wowed" than switching from mid level preamp to high end but this is another discussion...)

so anyone with an lynx pci slaved with mytek clock upfront ? heh

Last edited by isham; 31st December 2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: detail added
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search