The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C2dual/stereo version for mastering? Summing Mixers
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
C2dual/stereo version for mastering?

I have a Manley VariMu which I have been using for pretty much verything- tracking, 2-buss and final mixes. I have been advised that a C2 would be a good addition to my set-up for 2-buss and/or final mixes. I mainly work with Dance and Rock music. I am running PT HD2 with 192 and Apogee 800 192 converters. I run the outputs via outboard gear into a Dangerous Music 2-Bus summing mixer. I am based in Whangarei, New Zealand and do not have the luxury of demoing a C2(stereo only or dual & stereo versions) or other compressors. I have also read good things aout the TK Audio C1 and A-Designs Nail. My budget is US$2000. I would be grateful for your help/suggestions.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
I have a C2 and use it for mastering. I've used the vari mu a bit also, and I think the C2 would make a nice complement to it. The C2 is bright and forward, and has a very good sounding signal path that can enhance even when not compressing much at all.

I usually use it in dual mono mode.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks for your helpful comments, Jeff. I read a lot of people like yourself are using the C2 in dual mono mode, which makes me think the C2 stereo only version would be limited. I am now inclined towards purchasing a C2 dual & stereo version (as opposed to stereo only version).
Old 31st December 2010
IMO, while it may bust your budget, something like a Cranesong STC-8 (maybe second hand?) or Vertigo VSC-2 is far more flexible in sound and to suit variety of mixes (even within rock/dance music) at the mastering stage than a C2 (or... often no compressor at all). In the long run that's more important (read: prone to better results and serving the project) than using any single piece of gear on all projects.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Here's my 2¢

I used a combo of a C2 and a Vari-Mu on the 2-bus for a few years and had a lot of fun with it.

I generally prefer the C2 on drum bus these days. I've switched to the Nail for 2-bus. Both can do some aggressive envelope shaping. The Nail is more versatile, with better low end and you can compress more without artifacts, the C2 will give you that familiar upper midrange crunch, although it is also on the clean side.

The Nail does add a bit of tube color, though more subtle than the Manley. I am really stoked on it for just about everything, including mastering.

You absolutely want to run the C2 dual mono vs. stereo. To my ears the difference is not super subtle. You will also want to feed a highpassed signal to the sidechain inputs to keep your low end somewhat intact.

I agree that the C2 is a little bit limited if you are mastering other's people's music. On some mixes that you may get what it does won't work as well, on some it will be just right. For your own mixbus I think it is just awesome, esp. with a Vari-Mu.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Thank you both for your helpful comments and suggestions. The Canesong STC-8 and Vertigo VSC-2 have excellent reviews. I am sure that either would suit my needs. However both units are way out of my budget (new or used). The A-Designs Nail seems to be an excellent contender. Does anyone have any wav.or MP3/4files demonstrating the Nail and/or C2 on an overall mix (rock or electronic)? I am curious to hear both units.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Happy New Year to you all.
Old 19th January 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
The A-Designs Nail seems to be an excellent contender. Does anyone have any wav.or MP3/4files demonstrating the Nail and/or C2 on an overall mix (rock or electronic)? I am curious to hear both units.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear
Thanks for the great link, Pan60. Your review is fantastic. After reading the review and the previous replies I have decided to purchase a Nail. I am also grateful to Robot Gigante for letting me hear audio files of mixes he has done using the C2 and Nail. I really appreciate all your help.
Old 19th January 2011
500 series nutjob

thanks for you kind comments!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search