The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Polysix problem Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Korg Polysix problem

Hi,

Resolving a problem with my newly bought Korg Polysix. Everything on the synthesizer works as it should, but the the following thing bothers me. When I play the instrument sounds in isolation, ie. only one note is played, synth sounds as if the cutoff on the filter is slightly suppressed (though physically is not). Conversely, when I play chords (just need a two-tone at the same time), filter cutoff stops to suppress and the tone sounds as it should.

It is evident that the cutoff of the filter with separately played tones improperly suppresses the tone, whilst at any at least two notes are played simultaneously, the cutoff is working properly and do not suppress the sound. (But by talking about the filter, it do not necessarily mean the bad behavior of the filter must necessarily be associated only with the wrong settin or adjustion in the filter).

I ordered a MIDI interface for the synth, so it will go to the service soon anyway. We have already tried to find the reason for the problem described above in the service but we have not solve it. Me and the service man agreed that so far I ask the problem here on the forum and then according to any reaction and advise from you we will proceed.

I kindly ask other Korg Polysix owners and aslo owners and servicemen of other old analog synthesizers, if you know where inside the Korg the problem might lie and how to resolve it.

Here are the sound examples. Please pay attention to the bass sound.

Example No. 1 Normal saw, no suboscilator. In the beginning I play separate tones. Bass sounds like it was slightly suppressed by the cutoff of the filter (but it is not suppressed physically). Once you add another tone (the one in higher octave in this case), bass starts to sound as normal bass saw should sound.

Pedro Zakatchku - Ukázka 1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Example No. 2 Same setup, but I use arpeggiator. This time the demonstration starts with the bass as it sounds, if an extra octave tone is played at the same time ( by means of the chord memory function), after switching to normal mode (the only one tone is played ) it is obvious that the filter turns to suppress the cutoff slightly.

Pedro Zakatchku - Ukázka 2 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I would like to highlight that the problem described above is not caused by the wrong value on the KBD track. The value on the KBD track was at zero during recording of the examples.

Thank you very much in advance for your response.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

You'll probably get more and better answers in this forum:

Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production - Gearslutz.com
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search