The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any SSL Doctor in Europe ?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I am looking for someone that repairs SSL in europe mainly Located in Italy

I'm looking to buy an SSL 4000G any owner for feedback ? regarding Maintenance how easy it is ? or you need a tech ?

How often needs servicing? are parts expensive ? and what to look for ?

Thanks

Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegastheque View Post
I am looking for someone that repairs SSL in europe mainly Located in Italy
If you pay for the passage and have a place to stay i would consider it.heh

Quote:
I'm looking to buy an SSL 4000G any owner for feedback ?

Congrats, its still a blast and a rush every day when i get a chance to mix and work on mine. I would look into a 90's G+ with the LED mods throughout the console if you can find one. A great sounding console that at its peak in the 90's put out a lot of great sounding records.

Quote:
regarding Maintenance how easy it is ? or you need a tech ?
The day to day maintenance is pretty basic(changing burnt out bulbs mostly) and with the right tool you can do yourself. Even when the EQ or compressor cards go bad in a channel, its a pretty simple fix usually. The power supply is pretty hefty and to repair it is not as complicated as one would think. The place you may need a service tech is if you have problems in your center section, which may pull too much current on one of the rails in the power supply. Sometimes its a tricky problem to track down to which card. If it happens on a channel you can either swap the channels, turn off that bucket, or just compare channels.

Quote:
How often needs servicing? are parts expensive ? and what to look for ?

Thanks
Quote:

Servicing is not as much as you would think if the console was maintained well up to it was taken out of commission. Parts? LED Bulbs can be bought in bulk so you can save money there. The buss switches will be in good working condition if its a mid 90's desk. The hardest parts to find are the custom parts like the output buss assign switches which are no longer made(but you would have to literally drop a brick on a channel to snap one of those) etc.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The good thing about SSL's is that you can pull the module out and send it to the technician to fix while continuing with your music work... Or get a few spares to have around just in case.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
The good thing about SSL's is that you can pull the module out and send it to the technician to fix while continuing with your music work...
The only problem with this is the tech would have to have a really special setup to be able to just to hear audio passing through it. You can jimmy rig on a bench a couple of supplies to power a module and trace the voltages around the cards with a MMeter and a scope, but to be able to hear what its doing to the audio you pretty much need the console. That's what the extender cards are for, so you can work on the module while still plugged to the bucket. Most of the time though its a bad chip which are easy and cheap to replace.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Could one simply send modules to SSL in the UK for repair?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

How much would it cost for an SSL tech to assemble a 24channel ? 4000G Console what are the usual expenses ?

It was owned by 3 persons before. 1st was owned by a TV station for 5 years, and then by a studio for 5 years, and another studio owner for 5 years now it has been dismantled ..How bad does it sounds ?

The desk has always been taken care of by an SSL Tech

The price of this console is 19000euros any opinions ?

some photos

Some opinions please
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had reason to ask Jim at SSL who, in Italy, they recommended as a tech (for a client of mine earlier in the year).

Their answer:
"Their best contact is "Mr SSL Italy", Giovanni Blasi. He can be contacted at [email protected] and to make things even easier he's based in Milan!"
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
How much would it cost for an SSL tech to assemble a 24channel ? 4000G Console what are the usual expenses ?

It was owned by 3 persons before. 1st was owned by a TV station for 5 years, and then by a studio for 5 years, and another studio owner for 5 years now it has been dismantled ..How bad does it sounds ?

some photos

Some opinions please
19.000 Euros is OK. Is the mix computer included and working? The last 8 channels are E-series but thats cool you can mix and match some EQs when you reduce it to 24 channels.

Calculate minimum between 3 - 5.000 Euros for commissioning and spare parts - if all goes well!
Get (at least) the center section recapped.

Overall these desks are very reliable and easy to maintain and service.

If you have more specific questions, let me know. I just went through all that (purchasing a G-Series). No regrets so far.

I can recommend Gil Martini, excellent SSL tech from France. He used to work for SSL while these were still available new.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

putting it back together (if it was really fully functioning before) shouldn't take too long, maybe a day if you have help. all those little black plugs have numbers on them, and you just need to plug them into their respective sockets on the motherboard.
if there's anything wrong with it, that's a whole different story.

also, i would keep it at least 32 channels. i don't really get the 24 channel thing. 32 run off one supply with no problems, and you will wish you had another 32 soon enough.

i actually have a few 'G' channels in raven sparkle finish. orange eqs tho, so most likely the ones in the pic are 'E'.

the price is good if it really is well maintained and fully working, but i certainly wouldn't buy it without being able to fire it up & go through everything.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi!
It is a very cold winter in Norway this year, so I would love to come down and help you... I am cheap if you provide Italian food and wine...
Well, seriosly. SSL are easy to look after. Just make sure you get the installation/service manual and the extender cards with it.
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:

some photos

Some opinions please
Setting up is the easy part. Looking at the picture the most difficult part will be tracing the wiring. I hope it came with some kind of diagram how it was wired before, especially if wired for broadcast which have way different needs than the studio. Also i don't know if you have a patchbay that is currently wired already, but will have to devise a plan on how to interface the console to your patchbay.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The only problem with this is the tech would have to have a really special setup to be able to just to hear audio passing through it. You can jimmy rig on a bench a couple of supplies to power a module and trace the voltages around the cards with a MMeter and a scope, but to be able to hear what its doing to the audio you pretty much need the console. That's what the extender cards are for, so you can work on the module while still plugged to the bucket. Most of the time though its a bad chip which are easy and cheap to replace.
My technician always had a few SSL's at his shop so I only had to send the offending/problematic module over and he'd get it back into shape and back to me again.

Of course, you're right, if the technician doesn't have one, it's not as easy.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
Hi!
It is a very cold winter in Norway this year, so I would love to come down and help you... I am cheap if you provide Italian food and wine...
Well, seriosly. SSL are easy to look after. Just make sure you get the installation/service manual and the extender cards with it.

Hi !!

I'm not from Italy I'm from Malta which is a small island under sicilly
I was asking for someone from italy because maybe it would be cheaper but it appears that you are cheaper lol it's no problem for the italian dinner because I was a chef at a great fine dinning Italian restaurant

So I it is settled then ?? ehh you fix the desk and I fix you the greatest meal you'll ever have ! lool

Cheers and Happy New Year
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Gil MArtini....IS THE PERSON....
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Nut

That console looks like it was originally a 4040 (very likely fitted with just 32 channels) and chopped down to 32 channels. The patch has an additional user row (and was originally integral to the console).

First call would be to get a serial number, call SSL in the UK, and ask for a sales and service history. They have all that on file.

Finding spares isn't always that easy due to RoHS legislation, but considering that over a thousand of 4/6/8000 console were built, there's always some stuff popping up somewhere.

When calling SSL, ask for Glenn Pratley and ask him for names and numbers of people to call. Giovanni and Gil are both excellent and knowledgeable, but may not be available. You'll find a lot of service engineers familiar with SL4000G in Europe, and a trip to Malta may be a good incentive.

Apart from the lightbulbs, the routing switches have a bad tendency to give-up after 7-10 years. They're easy to fix, and the newer ones would last even longer.
Old 1st February 2011
Here for the gear

SSL 4000G doctor help

besides ebay where would you get the parts for a console like this. where would you even begin to get the center section from

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search